Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I thought Scott was a mid? "Take another mid who we'll play forward" feels iffy.

He's a bit of everything. Started off as a mid, we moved him all around the ground depending on what AFL players were in that week.

Preston hasn't actually played as a a small forward yet. He was going to in 2020, 2019 he was still a midfielder. Question marks over his forward craft as well.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A298B78E-BDFA-4416-9368-FD4B9400E50C.jpeg
“You ask, you shall get”

I thought Scott was a mid? "Take another mid who we'll play forward" feels iffy.
Midfielder in VAFA, Forward in his first year and was set to have extended mins as a mid in 2020 when he signed with Box Hill hawks due to Footscray pulling out of the comp due to cuts

Prudden has left Footscray so if he isn't signed, would be my number 1 VFL midfielder rotation

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't see how more open training sessions and greater online coverage would harm our financial position...? I am sure that more funding would need to be put into digital media, but that would be small and greater fan engagement is always a positive and can help drive greater membership.

I'm not sure why the animosity in your last line - more than anything I was trying to offer a suggestion for you as it can't be easy to reply to a post and then have to navigate back to where you were up to in the page, but if you have a preference towards doing it that way that's fine. Just keep in mind as well that you might pick up deleted posts/warnings for having 5+ posts in a row on other boards if you go there (e.g. main board, general discussion).
Well it seems all the angst was in vain

No doubt there could be an argument to spend more on digital but you have to recognise the club managed to make a profit under tough circumstances and really it’s not as bad as the posters are making out

and I know about the main boards and don’t go on them very often

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Well it seems all the angst was in vain

No doubt there could be an argument to spend more on digital but you have to recognise the club managed to make a profit under tough circumstances and really it’s not as bad as the posters are making out

and I know about the main boards and don’t go on them very often
Certainly a move in the right direction with the scratch match - I'm excited to watch.

Obviously it isn't on at an ideal time for everyone with work commitments etc, but if those that bemoan the lack of coverage we get are able to watch, it's a good opportunity to show the club that the demand is there.

BLACAE

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2018
Toowoomba, QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
SEM Pheonix, Tas Jack Jumpers
Certainly a move in the right direction with the scratch match - I'm excited to watch.

Obviously it isn't on at an ideal time for everyone with work commitments etc, but if those that bemoan the lack of coverage we get are able to watch, it's a good opportunity to show the club that the demand is there.

Would have been nice to allow those of use who can't afford a membership to watch also. One wage with a large family requires us to be somewhat frugal with what we spend money on.

But I agree that it is a step in the right direction.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would have been nice to allow those of use who can't afford a membership to watch also. One wage with a large family requires us to be somewhat frugal with what we spend money on.

Obviously the goal here is for them to bring more members on board, but even something like a $5 fee to watch the game could've meant people like yourself could watch too without it breaking the bank

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray

I think that's a reasonable point. It's a tricky balance because they're obviously trying to increase the incentive to sign up, which has its merits, but there's a line here - being able to support your favourite sports team shouldn't really be financially gated.

Unless you need to log in as a member, it’s possible that some kind person might message you with the link . Not sure who. I wouldn’t engage in such subterfuge obviously. And I’ve got an appointment at 10 but I should be around shortly afterwards.....

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

There is a suggestion that it might remain up on the Hawks site after the live member stream. Or it might not even be member only on the Hawks site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's a reasonable point. It's a tricky balance because they're obviously trying to increase the incentive to sign up, which has its merits, but there's a line here - being able to support your favourite sports team shouldn't really be financially gated.

A forward thinking organisation might use it as a way of building a sense of excitement amongst our traditionally large group of fair weather supporters who arent currently members.

I dont imagine that these people are going to be enticed by the notion that the first chance the club has to publicly build said sense of excitement for a fast approaching season will be behind a paywall.

I get the reward aspect of this decision, but I think that its far outweighed by the stick aspect of the same decision.

Bocky

Debutant
Mar 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The main website just posted a 1min video of "Training". I am all for a hype video or some moments to get excited about for the new year, however, 55 seconds of steady eddie who's discovered how to add effects and 5 seconds of Jamara having a snap on goal does not get me excited. I get if they are trying to have a good hard low key pre-season. But seeing more of the drinks cart that stuffed Johno than actual training seems like a wasted opportunity. Ah maybe I'm getting old and whingy. This is the place to whine right?

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is a suggestion that it might remain up on the Hawks site after the live member stream. Or it might not even be member only on the Hawks site.
I checked, it's members only on the Hawks site, but not sure about whether they're going to post a recording

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
The main website just posted a 1min video of "Training". I am all for a hype video or some moments to get excited about for the new year, however, 55 seconds of steady eddie who's discovered how to add effects and 5 seconds of Jamara having a snap on goal does not get me excited. I get if they are trying to have a good hard low key pre-season. But seeing more of the drinks cart that stuffed Johno than actual training seems like a wasted opportunity. Ah maybe I'm getting old and whingy. This is the place to whine right?

The "training" videos are dog s**t.

BLACAE

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2018
Toowoomba, QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
SEM Pheonix, Tas Jack Jumpers
Big thanks to the club for helping me out with a link to the match. Really liked Martin and English combo. Bruce looking better but would have loved Naughts out there also. Great to see Jongy running around and Westy in the guts a bit.

From the second match, really liked the look of Schache, Cav and even Flea was getting into good spots. There is a few VFL players who look good too so we will have to keep an eye on them throughout the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back