Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carnage at crows training this morning. Young worrell looks to have incurred a serious leg injury. Looks like high hamstring. Pity as he has been on fire at training this week and
Looks full of confidence.

Smith incurred another knock to the head and was taken off promptly. Did not look concussed

Standard of training this year superior to last.

Last years draftees looked a little tired today after first week on track.

Michelanney played on Rankine on Wednesday and did a fine job

Milera Looks much better and fitter. Pedlar looking very svelte and fit. This could be a breakout year Murray was very impressive today.

Borlase excellent on Wednesday.

Sloane trained with main group for first time for a part of the session

Mcadam newchurch doedee training away from group

gollant not showing out at training as he did last year
At least it's not Worrells knee.

Carnage at crows training this morning. Young worrell looks to have incurred a serious leg injury. Looks like high hamstring. Pity as he has been on fire at training this week and

Smith incurred another knock to the head and was taken off promptly. Did not look concussed

Standard of training this year superior to last.

Last years draftees looked a little tired today after first week on track.

Michelanney played on Rankine on Wednesday and did a fine job

Milera Looks much better and fitter. Pedlar looking very svelte and fit. This could be a breakout year Murray was very impressive today.

Borlase excellent on Wednesday.

Sloane trained with main group for first time for a part of the session

Mcadam newchurch doedee training away from group

gollant not showing out at training as he did last year
Thanks for the update.

I can handle hamstrings.... just no season ending Seedsman incidents please.

I wonder if worrell could transition into a bont type role in midfield. He could be wasted in the backline where there is a plethora of players for those positions. He is becoming very assured with his ball use and take and is quick for his height.

He could be the tall mid we have been crying out for
Or a tall wingman... we have missed since Seedsman's injury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t think of one player on our list who should be on that
I can, Dawson, Walker, Laird, Rankine, Fogarty 2022, Ben Keays at the lower end. $575,000 isn't big money these days.

The great aspect of this is, Worrell has the Christmas Break to recover .....you'd imagine, it'll have very little impact on his pre-season

It's amazing what confidence can do for a player ....elevates them to another level

What I've provided is an opinion, not an excuse.

I think that ROB was dropped this year to work on some parts of his game that he didn't seem to be able to work on during AFL games. Strachan deserved his shot for his excellent SANFL form. I have no issues with that decision, it was the right call.

But Strachan was not as good at AFL level as the form that got ROB dropped and ROB's form at SANFL level was far superior to Strachan's form that got him an AFL spot. So Strachan didn't deserve a place in the side above ROB on talent/ performance. Given how ROB dominated SANFL, I'm not sure continually working on his game deficiencies there would better prepare him for AFL games.

So dropping ROB again, and apologies if I misread your post and that wasn't your suggestion, is what I would have issues with. That would be playing a lesser player over a better player to "make a statement", that statement being "I'd rather punish/ manipulate you than work with you to overcome the parts of your game that I think that you can improve on".

And in my experience/ opinion, as a player and coach, dropping a player in favour of a lesser player doesn't create a better outcome for the better player or for the team. No matter how upset the fans are. Working with both players to be the best player they can be is a better approach and keeps team connectivity.

The 2 worst coaches for that for me were coaches that I played under, not AFL coaches. Whether it's playing their favourites or riding some players and not others, it creates fractures in the playing group (or the entire club in one case). It can work short term, as both coaches got premierships, but then performance drops off as players stop playing for the team or just check out. Both coaches were sacked by the club during that downturn in performance (because who sacks a premiership coach), one of them by me. For the record, both coaches treated me fine and I was even one of the favourites for one of them.

We've probably all played for at least one of those coaches and I haven't heard even the favourite players say that those coaches were great coaches. Usually the opposite.

As for AFL examples, just about every coach is sacked for allegedly losing the playing group, but often that's probably just a handy sound bite. It is hard to really know for sure unless you are in the environment.
Sorry, but since when is dropping players who aren't performing classed as "playing favourites"? And you don't seriously think you can just allow a player to continually deliver unders compared to their best. What type of culture would you be trying to foster? Actually, I know already. The one where player know that if they do just enough to keep ahead of the next guy up, they will maintain their spot. Regardless of the level,of performance that they can actually deliver. At the end of the day you can talk them up as much as you like, cup their balls whilst reaching around if you think it'll help. But if they don't respond, they need to be dropped and if the bloke replacing them provides only 90% flat out, then that's what you go with.

nothing kills a culture faster than rewarding players who aren't putting in at 100%. And we're living proof of that.

318146883_10160696551103919_8804790423294015669_n.jpg

318216153_10160696550208919_7526360111837532571_n.jpg

Back