Autopsy Preseason 2022: Collingwood v Hawthorn, Morwell, 3.30pm 25th February

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked 3.7.
This was the most exciting aspect from the game for mine (although I also liked the look of the games of Lynch and MacDonald as well). Putting aside the conversion (it was blowing a sideways gale), the fact that he managed 10 shots on goal should be a big (green?) tick for any key forward. Exciting times ahead if he can build on this.

I have not even started to talk about small forwards. One, Moore looks the goods to replace Poppy. Bruest ???
I see Moore as more if Bruest replacement. His career trajectory is following a similar path, and fast.

But you are right, Brockman hasn't really come on yet although if one of he, Seamus or butler can come on then this is not the major concern, the lawyer 2 were both picked inside 30 I believe so the talent is there.

Trying to reproduce a trio of Puop/Bruest/Rioli though is nigh on impossible. All time.

The midfield needs more quality. Simply MORE QUALITY.

I think we have one in Duke. I think we have one in Worpel. I hope we have one in Ward. I hope we have one McDonald. I have hopes for Finn. BUT, to challenge we need 2-3 real quality Mids. Forget TOM and JOM and Shiel. They will not be a part of the next silverware challenge.

So a min of eight to ten players. It is going to take a long time. Buckle up
and hope we select well. Some, like Moore will come from left field, but please be patient.

Could not agree more, on all players. Really enjoying your pragmatic takes here.

Hurts to admit but we need more genuine quality all over. DGB (), Moore, Day and Scrimshaw could all become elite and we desperately need Lewis to improve.

The rebuild is really only recently started in earnest. That said, this recent draft was great start.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Why can’t Moore spend more time in the middle of the ground? …… his hard work off the ball, endurance, courage, skills and smarts could be a really good rover.
For me his best trait is is sense around goal though, like Bruest. It can't be taught.

Bruest had run through the middle a bit but his best work has always been up forward.

We need to develop a midfield good enough to use Moore the same way

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Not even one whole practice game......:D

He's a stopper though, his value is standing an opponent, shielding teammates, using his size and strength. He isn't meant to get high disposals.

We don't have a replacement for him on the list.
And there's the rub. The KPB cupboard is bare on our list. DGB shows promise but we need to be patient. Who else do we have? Let's not be dogmatic and pigeon hole Jeka, Callow, even Kosi. Plenty of examples around of forwards transformed into good key backs.

The midfield needs more quality. Simply MORE QUALITY.

I think we have one in Duke. I think we have one in Worpel. I hope we have one in Ward. I hope we have one McDonald. I have hopes for Finn. BUT, to challenge we need 2-3 real quality Mids. Forget TOM and JOM and Shiel. They will not be a part of the next silverware challenge.

So a min of eight to ten players. It is going to take a long time. Buckle up
and hope we select well. Some, like Moore will come from left field, but please be patient.
It's pretty much a given in AFL that if you have a sub par midfield unit you are up that particular creek without a paddle.

It's why (untill the last draft at least) our insistence in drafting half back flankers types with most of our picks was so bewildering.

Be like a NFL club using almost all of their pickers on a punter and not bothering to draft a Quarterback!

I agree Duke, Worps, Ward, etc have potential but we are paying the price of neglecting to draft midfielders in the draft for the better part of 10 years (especially top 20 picks) and it won't be a quick or an easy fix.

Sorry if it’s been asked, but is there a replay anywhere? Can’t find it on Kayo. Avoided all social media so I could watch it later but it doesn’t exist?
Check out a small channel on YouTube called Michael Marshall voice actor has all the full replays on the practice games

Well said. Teams have been flogged in practice matches in recent years and gone on to win flags, and vice versa, have had great preseasons only to flop. I think there’s very little be read into it, particularly regarding coaching or some of our senior players…

That said, we are a team in transition. In a very short amount of time (12 month period) we’ve moved on more than half the list and all our coaches. It’s gonna take time for it all to jive. Arguable our two best players are back after 12months out of the game completely, and we are experimenting with new structures, game plan etc. Plus the fact we have a very young team, consistency will continue to be an issue.
Our problem isnt on field unless the depth players take unnecessary games from the youth. we don’t have elite talent in the midfield at this stage. despite having a Brownlow medallist he needs like breakers to give it to. our forward elite talent is the wrong side of 28 as well. 2 more drafts where we finish low down the ladder, bring in more picks and some free agency to bolster the mid 20s demographic may give us a chance for finals in 3 years all going well.

So much doom and gloom after 1 match. I take no notice off 6 quarter games, I put more weight on how we finished off the second half of the season, I will judge more after the tigers hitout.
M.lewis - positive strong hands , gets in to good position's now. Goal kicking every session ball drop and routine for Mitch.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week i was chomping at the bit to see us. Im not officially rattled but what we dished up was absolute garbage. Pies looked like a top 4 team. The boys coming back will make a difference tho so let's see how we go vs Tigers...

Will Day is our most important player.

We tried raw players Ward and maginness early in session on the flanks against Collingwood who play the flanks well. Not sure where Morrison played

Returned the favour in last 4 quarters with Howe and Phillips on

Last week i was chomping at the bit to see us. Im not officially rattled but what we dished up was absolute garbage. Pies looked like a top 4 team. The boys coming back will make a difference tho so let's see how we go vs Tigers...

Will Day is our most important player.
Yeah it wasn't good. Our skills were terrible. We are inconsistent with them. I am hoping we have better showing against the tigers this week.

Few things that stood out..

Grundy looks back. was formidable. Good education for Reeves. Lynch was a bit more competitive in Qtr 3.
Crisp was very good at HB. Him & Maynard hit targets.
#33 for them - i think Ginnivan, is a player we could do with. Gets to good spots.
Mihocek gave DGB a lesson. Good education.
Henry & Bianco look promising
Josh Diacos stagnated last year but was impressive on the outside
Mitch Lewis just couldnt get enough separation & hence made it hard to get clean grabs.
Worpel looks like he could have a big year
Newk was amongst it but kicking let him down
Our ''polish'' in wingard, day & bruest will help as will CJ's & Impeys run.
We need to persist with Cmac & Ward.
Sicily looked fine. I love his 'hate to lose' attitude but it shouldnt cost goals.

Few things that stood out..

Grundy looks back. was formidable. Good education for Reeves. Lynch was a bit more competitive in Qtr 3.
Crisp was very good at HB. Him & Maynard hit targets.
#33 for them - i think Ginnivan, is a player we could do with. Gets to good spots.
Mihocek gave DGB a lesson. Good education.
Henry & Bianco look promising
Josh Diacos stagnated last year but was impressive on the outside
Mitch Lewis just couldnt get enough separation & hence made it hard to get clean grabs.
Worpel looks like he could have a big year
Newk was amongst it but kicking let him down
Our ''polish'' in wingard, day & bruest will help as will CJ's & Impeys run.
We need to persist with Cmac & Ward.
Sicily looked fine. I love his 'hate to lose' attitude but it shouldnt cost goals.
Lewis couldn’t get separation? He was one of our best. Kicked I think 3.7 and had a bunch of contested marks. He was awesome. Just finish next time ML.

Given all the tractor talk in this thread,
Can Jeka be the Gunston replacement? If he can leave the forward 50 to Kossie and Lewis, get Jeka to play up the ground a bit
Probably his best role but he lacks Gunstons workmate and competitiveness at this point in his career. Desperately needs to improve that to take advantage of his skills.

Probably his best role but he lacks Gunstons workmate and competitiveness at this point in his career. Desperately needs to improve that to take advantage of his skills.
Yep Gunston kicked 40 goals in the same season Jeka is entering in a Grand Finalist team. Yes there was much better forward delivery, but also a crowded field with Buddy + Rough competing.

The spot is there if Jeka wants it, but it's up to him to claim it.

Given all the tractor talk in this thread,

Yep Gunston kicked 40 goals in the same season Jeka is entering in a Grand Finalist team. Yes there was much better forward delivery, but also a crowded field with Buddy + Rough competing.

The spot is there if Jeka wants it, but it's up to him to claim it.
Serong is more a Gunston type

Remove this Banner Ad

Back