Autopsy Preseason 2022: Collingwood v Hawthorn, Morwell, 3.30pm 25th February

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I don't read much into '6 quarter, 45 a side' first up praccy games in Morwell. This week will tell us a bit more.
Same.

Sure, maybe we did go out there wanting to win and instead got smashed every which way and internally the club is at panic stations.

More likely I think is that we were just getting minutes into legs and finding some touch for our senior players while a younger core put more effort into putting their hand up for round 1, and the rest just there for the experience.

We were probably also trialling some attacking plays at different points and not worrying too much about the result of turnovers. This will have been the first time a lot of these tactics have been tried outside of an intra club game.

And not that I think Collingwood were going into it with a main focus on getting the W either, but no doubt McRae and Bolton having a lot of intel on our players would've offered some advantages to them.

If we play the same way in round 1 when 4 points are up for grabs, then I'll be worried.

Went to the game. It seemed like some of our senior blokes were no where near their normal intensity. This then put more pressure on the younger crop.
The Pies were really focused, and we gave them plenty of space.
I think and hope we get a better picture vs Tigers. This coming game is more important as teams gear up for round 1.

Am confident of a much better performance.

Watching the replay neither players nor coaches looked distressed at all about the performance in the first 3 Qs. Says to me the expectation was nothing more than getting run in the legs.

It's a fair difference to supporters expectations who are seeing their side for the first time under a new coach after promising preseason reports. I was dumbfounded by how big a rabble we were as my expectation was up and also think the Pies are around the same mark as us. But as much as it would be nice to take something away from it as a sign that Sam has got us on the up even if the scores were reversed it means nothing.

This week I expect to see I big jump up in competitiveness as the format returns to something like normal and it marks the start of the official practice match circuit.

Watching the replay neither players nor coaches looked distressed at all about the performance in the first 3 Qs. Says to me the expectation was nothing more than getting run in the legs.

It's a fair difference to supporters expectations who are seeing their side for the first time under a new coach after promising preseason reports. I was dumbfounded by how big a rabble we were as my expectation was up and also think the Pies are around the same mark as us. But as much as it would be nice to take something away from it as a sign that Sam has got us on the up even if the scores were reversed it means nothing.

This week I expect to see I big jump up in competitiveness as the format returns to something like normal and it marks the start of the official practice match circuit.
Agree Roger. The Pies were intense and clearly we weren't. Our desire to create turnovers just wasn't there, especially from most of the senior guys.

Theirs far to much angst about performance in a pre season 6qr match of footy.

What ever happened to patience is a virtue

Theirs far to much angst about performance in a pre season 6qr match of footy.

What ever happened to patience is a virtue
We are all just waiting for this winter of failure to end and this result feels like Groundhog Day despite it being an extended training session 😉

Bored Bill Murray GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back