Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
From Nigel on FB

SIDE BY SIDE - COLLINGWOOD

Nigel Cannan · 19m ·

TRAINING:- Tuesday 30th November
Sorry, it’s not going to be a comprehensive report today mainly because most of the drills appeared to be on the opposite side of the ground from where I was standing. Add to that the fact 4 of the new players did not have a number except for Nick Daicos (35) plus players wearing caps and it was difficult picking players out.
Players started arriving on the ground at around 9.30am and went through to 12.15 so it was a very good hit out in the 28deg heat. Senior players training were Pendlebury, Roughead, Sidebottom, Cox, Madgen, Howe, Maynard and Mihocek. I didn’t see any sign of Mark Keane or Nathan Kreuger. Not sure what happened with those two. Kreuger didn’t appear on the ground on Friday either.
Once again lots of the drills seemed to be focused on fast ball movement and mostly by foot and getting the ball into the forward line quickly with the build up starting from around the half backline. There was always one or two players running past ready for the kick or handball. Nick Daicos excelled in this and his disposal particularly by foot is superb whether a short pass or long kick to a leading forward. He also excelled in the many 50m sprints the players did. He obviously has good stamina too. Apart from Daicos, the only one of the new recruits I could pick out easily was Cooper Murley mainly because of his small stature. At 178cm and 70kg there really is not much of him but he seems to have excellent ball skills and speed. Arlo Draper and Harvey Harrison were hard to pick out from a distance so I can’t really comment on how they went. Charlie Dean looks to be a good size but once again it is hard to assess how he can play just yet.
It was good to see the coaches really getting involved and joining in lots of the drills. And certainly in the early part of pre-season that has been the case as well as really explaining to the players exactly what they want from them in the drills. Training looks a whole lot different from the last couple of seasons and the players really seem to be enjoying the new drills and buying into the different coaching methods.
Younger players I thought did well today were Nick Daicos (of course), Oliver Henry, Fin Macrae, Reef Mcinnes, Liam McMahon, Aiden Begg and Ash Johnson. Begg has very good ball skills for a big player even when the ball is on the ground. Johnson is also starting to look the part too but both he and Begg still have a lot of work to do on their stamina. I still think Isaac Chugg wil be a very good player for us on the back flank.
Apparently they are training again on Wednesday but I won’t be there until Friday. Go Pies.

At what point did we become the club that gives players two year contracts on the basis of them being “hardly the worst on the list”? A two year contract should be offered on the basis of where the clubs list will be in two years time. We will still be bottom 4 if Noble is a regular fixture because it means the current crop of 18-21 up’s hasn’t come on because he’s one of the most expendable regulars we currently have.
He’s a worker bee during a rebuild. With any luck his spot will be taken by a youngster in 2022.
Seems a hard worker and good influence around the club.

From Nigel on FB

SIDE BY SIDE - COLLINGWOOD

Nigel Cannan · 19m ·

TRAINING:- Tuesday 30th November
Sorry, it’s not going to be a comprehensive report today mainly because most of the drills appeared to be on the opposite side of the ground from where I was standing. Add to that the fact 4 of the new players did not have a number except for Nick Daicos (35) plus players wearing caps and it was difficult picking players out.
Players started arriving on the ground at around 9.30am and went through to 12.15 so it was a very good hit out in the 28deg heat. Senior players training were Pendlebury, Roughead, Sidebottom, Cox, Madgen, Howe, Maynard and Mihocek. I didn’t see any sign of Mark Keane or Nathan Kreuger. Not sure what happened with those two. Kreuger didn’t appear on the ground on Friday either.
Once again lots of the drills seemed to be focused on fast ball movement and mostly by foot and getting the ball into the forward line quickly with the build up starting from around the half backline. There was always one or two players running past ready for the kick or handball. Nick Daicos excelled in this and his disposal particularly by foot is superb whether a short pass or long kick to a leading forward. He also excelled in the many 50m sprints the players did. He obviously has good stamina too. Apart from Daicos, the only one of the new recruits I could pick out easily was Cooper Murley mainly because of his small stature. At 178cm and 70kg there really is not much of him but he seems to have excellent ball skills and speed. Arlo Draper and Harvey Harrison were hard to pick out from a distance so I can’t really comment on how they went. Charlie Dean looks to be a good size but once again it is hard to assess how he can play just yet.
It was good to see the coaches really getting involved and joining in lots of the drills. And certainly in the early part of pre-season that has been the case as well as really explaining to the players exactly what they want from them in the drills. Training looks a whole lot different from the last couple of seasons and the players really seem to be enjoying the new drills and buying into the different coaching methods.
Younger players I thought did well today were Nick Daicos (of course), Oliver Henry, Fin Macrae, Reef Mcinnes, Liam McMahon, Aiden Begg and Ash Johnson. Begg has very good ball skills for a big player even when the ball is on the ground. Johnson is also starting to look the part too but both he and Begg still have a lot of work to do on their stamina. I still think Isaac Chugg wil be a very good player for us on the back flank.
Apparently they are training again on Wednesday but I won’t be there until Friday. Go Pies.
Fast ball movement, please god yes!

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
At what point did we become the club that gives players two year contracts on the basis of them being “hardly the worst on the list”? A two year contract should be offered on the basis of the value a player offers over those two years and Noble’s value is questionable. IMO, we’ll still be bottom 4 if Noble is a regular fixture because it means the current crop of 18-21 yo’s hasn’t come on. Noble for me is one of the most expendable regulars we currently have.

I’ve side tracked things enough though so I’m happy for others to overrate him and we can revisit at some point in 2022 when he’s a VFL regular 👍

So noted...

RobJD

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm struggling to recall the point in time when governments took responsibility for an individual's health away from the individual?! Governments are responsible for the health care system not an individual's health. Imagine if all the money that's been spent on vaccines had been spent on hospital infrastructure and staffing.....
Yeah, if we'd spend all that money on caring for the sick then we'd have a lot more dead people! Bosnia Hertzgovina has taken an approach that many anti-vaxers espouse, limited lock-downs, casual vaccination rates - if you extrapolate their experience across the Australian population, then there'd be in excess of 90,000 more dead Australians than what we've got now (based on WHO reported fatalities) - The government's focus is the prevention of our hospitals being over-run - and that would surely have happened if we'd invested in infrastructure rather than vaccination, as it takes years to build hospitals and train medical professionals The government hasn't taken responsibility for the health of individuals, they've simply mandated that if one wants to fully participate in our society, one needs to accept the common good over the good of the individual. My only request of anti vaxers is that they accept a palliative care regime rather than clog up our intensive care system - if you refuse the vaccine, then you should refuse intensive care.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but vids seem to indicate Lip in #1 and Henry in #16. Daicos in #35 obviously. Any other notable jumper allocations?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Herzog

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed and I think that’ll be the case. New coaching panel with new game plan should make who was established in the team last season largely irrelevant.

McRae appears to be favoring winning the ball at the contest and then spreading and going fast. Noble can do the go fast but but will need to improve at the contest IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like his run and his unrelenting effort. Always gives 100%

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but vids seem to indicate Lip in #1 and Henry in #16. Daicos in #35 obviously. Any other notable jumper allocations?

I had noticed Lip and ND but not Henry.
Murley ran around today with no number:
1638251929773.png

Week 2. Session 1 (delyed by a day) - November 30th.

Bloody warm day, thats for sure. Solid session as well in the heat. The session was working on skills, contest work, marking, inside 50 entries, and ball movement from D50 to F50.

I gotta say with Nick wears the cap. geez he looks like his brother. Easier when he takes it off lol But his skills were sublime, but then, we knew that already. But it was really nice to see him out there and training. Same for the other lads.

Roll call:

1-4 years

3. Quaynor
6. Tyler B
8. Bianco
9. Noble
12. Wilson
16. Henry
18. Macrae
19. ARLO DRAPER
20. Kelly
24. Poulter
26. Reef
28. Murphy
29. McMahon
31. McCreery
33. Ginnivan
34. Chugg
35. N. Daicos
39. Begg
40. Johnson
45. Big Roo
Harvey Harrison
Charlie Dean
Cooper Murley

Seniors.

7. J Daicos
10.Pendles
13. Adams
14. Cameron
17. Cal B
22. Sidebottom
23. Roughy
32. WHE
37. Maynard
38. Howe (for a little bit, but he must have not done much I lost track of him)
41. Mihochek
43. Madgen
46. Cox

I didn't spot Ruscoe. Or Keane.

Other than those, the only seniors not training yet (On monday they will be) would be Moore, Elliott, Grundy (we know De Goey's situation for the time being), Crisp, Krueger.

Every session I find myself loving this new fitness guru, he just knows what to do, even if its still new to the players. The warm up drills, the exercises. He just ozzes respect.

The drills were similar to last week. Focusing on the contest. Pressure with the ball carrier, inside 50 skills work.

Adams probably looks as fit as I've ever seen him. Hopefully he has a better luck with his body in the coming season, that this new pre-season and fitness staff will help.

First time I saw Big roo out there since earlier in the year. He looks big. Definitely has put on some muscle in the off-season. I have noticed from his insta that he has been working with a personal trainer in the gym for a lot of the time. Now its all about getting him the skills required.
He still has a strange kicking action, but suppose everyone is differemt. As long as he kicks the ball, doesn't matter how lol

Lippa's ball use and kicking is just amazing. Never does he miss a target. That will be handy, that's for sure. Something we have definitely lacked in recent times.
He did the full session.

Nick I think was taking the kick outs, but it was a drill so hard to say. We'll know once the whole squad is back and they start proper match sim. Same with Pendles at half back, we'll know more about his position in 2022.

Bianco they seem to like in the forward line. They might progress him eventually up the ground, but for the time being, forward it is.

The movement is everything we have wanted for years. Its so enticing to watch them play this out.

instagram.com/p/CW4umFLBGaZ/

Arlo Draper in #19
Big Roo in #45

Hey, I was wondering if our cat b potential rookie big roo is on our list and if he’s with the main squad or VFL. Haven’t heard anything so don’t know where he’s at.

Don't think so.

Though he will play with Oakleigh next season

Loved Chugg's work today. His work rate is huge.
Nick's got some pace, and endurance. During the sprints, he was so far ahead of anyone else.
His ball use is amazing, but that's not something we didn't already know.

Post session, I saw some of the boys (includ Poulter, Reef, Wilson and a few running players) heading toward anderson st with some coaches, appeared they were gonna do a big running session.

Herzog

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

It takes some cajones for a new player to take number ☝

A little first impression for you --

Charlie Dean accidently knocked Maynard in his mouth in a drill lol

Apparently Dean is still alive and walking, which is a good sign of his potential toughness.

Back