Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the rumours is that in 2018, heaps of our previous fringe guys were on low bases and high performance incentives. Many of them had stellar years in 2018 and hit their incentives which blew our cap right out. In order to keep the list together and in an attempt to win a flag, we back-ended a lot of contracts to fit into the cap, still dealing with the back-ended contracts. Club has said they'll be in a position to recruit Free Agents next year. So I doubt we are still in trouble.

3 years after 2018 and probably half the list moved on or retired and we might be in control of the salary cap next year......i'm hoping someone writes a book about it before i kick the bucket, so that i can find out how they managed to get their heads stuck in those crevices.

3 years after 2018 and probably half the list moved on or retired and we might be in control of the salary cap next year......i'm hoping someone writes a book about it before i kick the bucket, so that i can find out how they managed to get their heads stuck in those crevices.
The only thing I'm confident about is that they backloaded contracts to try to keep the list together. All the core were signed on lengthy contracts, probably to enable it. They probably hoped the cap would continue to rise to get through it. But then the cap shrunk and they were stuffed. I think your longed for book would be pretty short and boring.

No more Maynard taking kickouts would be amazing.

Maynard is a sensational kick.

Howe is a nice kick just plays on and bombs it, not sure that works with the new rumoured game style.

I much prefer Maynard playing on and either carrying the footy or hitting up a player.

Howe is a nice kick just plays on and bombs it, not sure that works with the new rumoured game style.

I much prefer Maynard playing on and either carrying the footy or hitting up a player.
Agree he’s a nice kick, some work to be done on his decision making though. Can make costly errors.

At this stage, there is not much difference between the 4 of them put together and 0. They all need to come on in leaps and, if possible, bounds.

Precisely! If all 4 were on say Carlton’s list none of them would be of any interest to 99% of posters on here and it’s probably only McMahon and Krueger that the other 1% would have little more than a passing interest in. Calling a spade a spade that depth chart is rubbish right now…

The only thing I'm confident about is that they backloaded contracts to try to keep the list together. All the core were signed on lengthy contracts, probably to enable it. They probably hoped the cap would continue to rise to get through it. But then the cap shrunk and they were stuffed. I think your longed for book would be pretty short and boring.

yes i understood the back ended arrangements and maybe it was a perfect storm because of the timing of the virus. However, the eagles were in a similar boat and they didnt go bust. I think reported contracts like the mason cox one, indicated the club was just too easy. The phillips one should never have been done even if the whole world thought it was unlikely that he would star that season. The knee jerk to sign stevenson to mega contract when he was already on one, was also just another example of a getting a new credit card to pay off the old one. I dont follow it closely enough to know all the individual cases but I'm sure there were more. Maybe the book is unnecessary but i hope someone the club has kept notes on how not to do things.

just a word of advice to the younger pie fans who want a premiership next year or the year after.....there is a very good chance that you'll on this board in 10 years time and you would have wished that you could have made a deal with the devil in 2021 that the pies will win a premiership in the next 10 years... Right now if the devil offered me a certain premiership in 2030, I might hand over my soul and make the deal. This is going to be (another) hard road...

You must’ve forgotten the amount of horrific blunders Maynard regularly makes when taking the kick outs..

Maynard has a penetrating kick, but when he tries to go short it often goes wrong.

Last edited:
Howe might get a few if he can stay on the park.

If Dean plays I reckon he's a big shout for kick-in duties, excellent kick.

I reckon Daicos might find himself off half back so not deep for kick-ins.

It'd be nice to have someone who excels in the role.

I think the suggestion Maynard shouldn’t be taking kick-in duties is just another knee jerk reaction to a very small sample of poorly executed instances. Every player has them, even the best users of the footy by foot. We haven’t had anyone I’d rate as elite taking those kick-ins since Davis IMHO, but Maynard, Moore, Roughy and Howe types we use more often than not are above average. I’d be happy to see more aggressive ball movement but that’ll likely mean an increase in turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the suggestion Maynard shouldn’t be taking kick-in duties is just another knee jerk reaction to a very small sample of poorly executed instances. Every player has them, even the best users of the footy by foot. We haven’t had anyone I’d rate as elite taking those kick-ins since Davis IMHO, but Maynard, Moore, Roughy and Howe types we use more often than not are above average. I’d be happy to see more aggressive ball movement but that’ll likely mean an increase in turnovers.
The issue I have with Maynard taking the kick ins is that he isn't further up the field providing run and carry - too much of a waste.

The issue I have with Maynard taking the kick ins is that he isn't further up the field providing run and carry - too much of a waste.
Similarly Howe and Moore would be better marking options than taking the kick ins

Similarly Howe and Moore would be better marking options than taking the kick ins
Agreed - it's a tough gig to cover adequately without robbing ourselves of upfield power.

It demands a good kick both short pass and long spear pass to excel - we haven't had one since Neon but even that was something of a rob Peter to pay Paul.

We may not have to worry too much about Maynard kick ins.

At today's past players function, McRae mentioned to some people that Maynard will be getting midfield minutes. ANd for Nick? Just get his hands on the ball.

Last edited:
We may not have to worry too much about Maynard kick ins.

At today's past players function, Macrae mentioned to some people that Maynard will be getting midfield minutes. ANd for Nick? Just get his hands on the ball.
The right move on both situations Jen.

Especially for Nick, he needs to get into the team and feel he is contributing with ball in hand.

The more he contributes the happier he will be and the faster his development will proceed.

Why do you say that Johnson isn’t a key forward?

Because Johnson isn't a key forward. He doesn't have the strength, size or quality to be the main target and to handle the defensive attention.

I reckon Deans the guy if he can crack the 22. He is an excellent field kick and I think could be an excellent kick-in. Then you'd have those guys receiving.

Johnson hasn't stood out to me so far. Its early days so that can change, just have to see how he goes through the summer.

Still quite some time to Season Starts so lot can Change

You must’ve forgotten the amount of horrific blunders Maynard regularly makes when taking the kick outs..

Maynard has a penetrating kick, but when he tries to go short it often goes wrong.
Correct. And that will be his biggest weakness if he plays midfield
Inability to hit targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back