Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not enough to build covered seating areas.
Which is a shame for you.

Thank you for your continued coverage, despite the exposure to the elements! Your reports are a highlight of the pre-season for sure.
Yeah. Wouldn't be too bad if they would remove the gating and let people sit under the cover near the building/cafe like they used to.

There’s a number of VFL games there each season
Even if they only have one VFL game there - I think they’re obligated to improve seating / viewing
I’m more than happy for the club to move all VFL games back to VP

further, if they’re going to run open trainings each year such as the one they’re having Friday, hundreds go, so I think upgrades would be appreciated then as well

It would be great if they built something, and would probably encourage more people to go. If only there was a cheaper option that could work......

Yeah. Wouldn't be too bad if they would remove the gating and let people sit under the cover near the building/cafe like they used to.

....and there it is! Shouldn't be too difficult for them to open this up for the dedicated fans, surely?

Yeah, I've got so fair skin that even a small amount of sun is danger for me. Friday? Was what, 21 degrees? Must have been the UV rays, but since I struggle to sleep on my back, as its burned from the back, to the shoulders. Haven't had it this bad in a while.

I went to south Wharf to find something for sun protection, but didn't find anything. Ive got a black long sleeved top here, so I'll try that. I've been losing Aloe vera, but it hasn't improved a great deal yet. So long sleeve, cap, glasses tomorrrow.

And they dont let you go undercover, they have gated it off.

From friday. Its not as red but still sore and warm to the touch.

It's the UV, not the temperature. The BOM website has a UV rating in its forecast. At this time of year it can be very high or extreme even if it's overcast.
Look after yourself & keep up the good work!

100%
It's not a fan friendly place to watch footy. And you cant see on the opposite side of the ground. How hard is it to put up some kind of shelter on the aami park side, or more near the cafe, which is currently closed.
Take care, Jen! Love your reports but stay sun safe.

Has anybody actually complained about this to the club? If a few people make this point, that they WANT to support the club & players by attending the trainings but find the weather conditions hazardous, then they will have to take some steps. It's only fair.

How many people generally attend training?
If there's 30-40 or so, I can't see it being a priority.
As for VFL games, perhaps if games were fixtured there from the beginning of each season they would do it.
Fans don’t go because there is no seating, no elevated viewing areas and no cover from the elements, it’s not good enough, I enjoy going to training but the conditions are poor

Definitely not enough to build covered seating areas.
Which is a shame for you.

Thank you for your continued coverage, despite the exposure to the elements! Your reports are a highlight of the pre-season for sure.

A lot of amatuer clubs have a small covered grand stand or two. If you can navigate the planning regs/approvals I don't see why we shouldn't do something.

Take care, Jen! Love your reports but stay sun safe.

Has anybody actually complained about this to the club? If a few people make this point, that they WANT to support the club & players by attending the trainings but find the weather conditions hazardous, then they will have to take some steps. It's only fair.
A friend of mine did recently to someone from the media team, think its something they are looking into. Regarding shade.

I just did a quick google. Heaps of companies fabricate aluminium grand stands. Here's one that is covered and seats 40. It cost 16k. Very doable.

I think it’s fair to say that’s it’s unlikely any of them will be very good KPF’s. I’d Assume simple review of the top 8 would seem to confirm this. Generally elite KPF’s are taken early, I think that’s pretty clear. All of the ones on our list are HIGHLy speculative. Whilst I agree we need time to see how they go, I think we can be confident they won’t be superstars. That said, Melb just won the flag with Ben brown (down on form) and McDonald as spearheads so it can be done with “serviceable” KPF’s, but we really should be investing next years first in one if available early
I am expecting Wardlaw, Ashcroft, D'Aloia and Tsatas to go top 4 in next year’s draft. So there is a good chance the 198cm West Adelaide boy, Harry Lemmey, may be available for drafting as a Pie.

Smart work by GW to get the SA boys in this year, so the impressive Lemmey (think Nick Riewoldt) feels more at home in 2022/3.

I am expecting Wardlaw, Ashcroft, D'Aloia and Tsatas to go top 4 in next year’s draft. So there is a good chance the 198cm West Adelaide boy, Harry Lemmey, may be available for drafting as a Pie.

Smart work by GW to get the SA boys in this year, so the impressive Lemmey (think Nick Riewoldt) feels more at home in 2022/3.

Had to get a look at Lemmey, and yes I see the resemblance to big Roo.
If we get him, and he's half as good, then sign me up.

I think it’s fair to say that’s it’s unlikely any of them will be very good KPF’s. I’d Assume simple review of the top 8 would seem to confirm this. Generally elite KPF’s are taken early, I think that’s pretty clear. All of the ones on our list are HIGHLy speculative. Whilst I agree we need time to see how they go, I think we can be confident they won’t be superstars. That said, Melb just won the flag with Ben brown (down on form) and McDonald as spearheads so it can be done with “serviceable” KPF’s, but we really should be investing next years first in one if available early

I think that’s a fair assessment, but I wasn’t even going that hard. I believe No Spin just misread my assessment and wasn’t prepared to acknowledge it…

This year the club have been listening to the members and fans more than ever, plus we have a board election where we have 11 great candidates including SeanC and C Macdonald patiently listening to the feedback from members.

Maybe this is something that could be added to the list of things for consideration? …

… consider providing some sunshade at the ground for the folks who come to watch training. Even if it is just some shade cloth put up like they do for kid’s playgrounds. This has been suggested often ever since the Olympic Park Oval opened ( Vicky Park is one who I remember has mentioned this a few times before)

Also, do the club provide some SPF 50+ dispensers for fans to have access to at the ground? That’d seem like an easy but very helpful gensture.

(Of course, it’s the responsibility of individuals who come to the ground to take care of their own health and well-being, and none of this detracts from that. But as a member based organisation, there still could be some simple and inexpensive things that CFC could do to make Olympic Park more hospitable for those members and fans who make the effort to come to support our players at training?)

Out of interest Jen2310 , have you ever seen the club have reps from the membership team come out and mingle with the folks who come to watch training? (When the team travels interstate … whilst the membership folks aren’t really mingling with the members, they are around and about and if anybody does have a question or an issue about something there is generally a club rep around to chat with).

Have you seen any of the board candidates drop by training?
Perhaps the club doesn't want to encourage people to come and watch training? Geelong must train behind closed doors 90% of the time. I may be way off the mark and it certainly didn't hurt Melbourne being in an open area accessible by the public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of amatuer clubs have a small covered grand stand or two. If you can navigate the planning regs/approvals I don't see why we shouldn't do something.

Can’t imagine the main Glasshouse room overlooking the oval would be used for much on a Monday morning, why not just open that up? Especially for members, given that the building was partially intended for member’s use?

Other options:

- Eastern side of the oval? There’s presently the seating steps on that side, but could imagine that it would be next to impossible to build anything permanent on that side because it would block the sight lines to AAMI park. Maybe would be able to have a temporary structure over the existing seating on that side that could be erected before training sessions and removed afterwards?

- Northern side of the oval? I don’t think there is enough room. That pretty much butts up against Olympic Boulevard.

- Southern side of the oval? A possible option for building a permanent structure over the car park. It would put the car park out of action during construction, but imagine it would be OK during the off season.

- Western side of the oval? As others have suggested, there some shade cast by the Glasshouse building but this has other use during training. There is inside the glasshouse itself, but this would only be an occasional solution. I have wondered if the new glasshouse has been engineered ‘ designed to be able to support a grandstand on top of it?

- South Eastern corner? Last I looked there was a BOM weather station there. Don’t remember, there might be some space to erect some shadecloth there?

- North Western corner? (Near BBQ’s, are they still there?) Maybe this area is blocked off for the current building works? Otherwise it could be a candidate to erect a structure?

Perhaps the club doesn't want to encourage people to come and watch training? Geelong must train behind closed doors 90% of the time. I may be way off the mark and it certainly didn't hurt Melbourne being in an open area accessible by the public.

Why wouldn’t they? It’s a member based organisation, shouldn’t it be catering to members if they want to watch training?

As for opposition spies, they’re going to be there rain, hail or shine. The presence of absence of facilities isn’t going to change that. Poor facilities is only going to deter members snd fans.

Created a new thread to discuss the shelter issue …

Pendles will be taking the rest of the year off, hairline fracture from training.

I wonder if that affects the captaincy decision?

It ain’t Collingwood if we didn’t have at least one injury pre-season right (aka Pendles report this morning)?

Pendles will be taking the rest of the year off, hairline fracture from training.

I wonder if that affects the captaincy decision?
I think he should pass the baton on anyhow. Not because I think he’s a bad Captain but I think it would be better for him and club to play out his twilight years without the responsibility of being Captain. To just enjoy playing footy.

I think he should pass the baton on anyhow. Not because I think he’s a bad Captain but I think it would be better for him and club to play out his twilight years without the responsibility of being Captain. To just enjoy playing footy.
I believe Pendles is still the best choice and still in the top 3 on field.

I also see a good argument to hand it over, whichever way it goes it will be the right decision.

I believe Pendles is still the best choice and still in the top 3 on field.

I also see a good argument to hand it over, whichever way it goes it will be the right decision.
I agree with you. But also could be a win win passing the baton because I would imagine would release the shackles of responsibility and expectations as a Captain. Plus, Pendles would still do what Pendles does naturally (be a leader on and off field) anyhow. But without the label.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back