Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Nice to have the support of Fly. :)
It would be odd if the first real decision he made after the fanfare of his appointment was to sack a player without even getting the facts, and the players take on things in person.

Hardly a people person.
From all accounts his people skills are his attraction.

Looking forward to seeing the development of McMahon and Johnston (not sure if there’s a t in his surname). McMahon might still be a year away and needs more development but looked pretty good in the few VFL matches I saw.

Don't Forget about Begg

Mick F

Mighty Snr
Dec 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would be odd if the first real decision he made after the fanfare of his appointment was to sack a player without even getting the facts, and the players take on things in person.

Hardly a people person.
From all accounts his people skills are his attraction.
What would make you think that in 2021 any organisation has people, at any management level, that arbitrarily revokes contracts?

What would make you think that in 2021 any organisation has people, at any management level, that arbitrarily revokes contracts?
I don't hence my post.

In last night’s episode of ‘The Grind’ we were introduced to Fly, Bolton, Leppitsch and even Ash Close. But no Hayden Skipworth? (our forwards coach?)

In last night’s episode of ‘The Grind’ we were introduced to Fly, Bolton, Leppitsch and even Ash Close. But no Hayden Skipworth? (our forwards coach?)

I enjoyed it. But I have to fess up - I can’t stand Leppitsch. For no logical reason, just an accumulation of loathing which started in the early 2000s. Guess I’ll just have to get over it.☹️

I enjoyed it. But I have to fess up - I can’t stand Leppitsch. For no logical reason, just an accumulation of loathing which started in the early 2000s. Guess I’ll just have to get over it.☹️

You can take some solace that the world is still spinning true on its axis with Voss now being at Carlton.

I mean, you could be an alien arriving on earth for the first time and learn of a bloke named “Voss” who is a leader of a team named “Carlton”, and you wouldn’t need two guesses for whether they’re the ‘goodies’ or the ‘baddies’.

Last edited:
November pre-season session #2.

Today's attendance: 1-4 year players

IQ
Tyler B
Bianco
Noble
Keane
Wilson
Henry
Cal B
Macrae
Kelly
Ruscoe
Poulter
Reef
Murphy
McMahon
McCreery
Ginnivan
Chugg
Begg
Johnton

Senior players:
Madgen
Pendles
Adams
Maynard
Roughy
Mihochek
Cameron
WHE

Adams first session. He mainly did running with some boys (Maynard, Madgen) and then he was on the bike. But he looks in good shape.
Keane's first session back from Ireland.

Also looks like Pendles might be playing at half back.

A lighter session this morning. A warm and muggy day, especially quite early. Started around 9:30 and almost went to 12.

Mainly it was drills based, skills. Stoppage work and contest.

There was a real emphasis on the contest and winning your own ball. There was some drills with forwards with marking contests. Bit of game work.

It was evident Ash Johnston has a lot of work to do with his fitness to be at AFL level. He was puffed out while they were doing the contest drills, hunched over. I know this is his first pre-season so maybe its a big jump up from his SANFL pre-season, but has a bit to go to be up to the level.

Begg did pretty welll. He is quite athletic, has no issue getting ground balls, and definitely up toward roughy's height. Was going one on one with him.
He also played some ruck when doing the stoppages, given Cameron was in one group, there had to be someone to ruck for Begg's group.

Last edited:
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I enjoyed it. But I have to fess up - I can’t stand Leppitsch. For no logical reason, just an accumulation of loathing which started in the early 2000s. Guess I’ll just have to get over it.☹
Me too. But I've got a friend whose kid played for Peninsula Grammar this year - Leppa coached them. They were former Leppa loathers, but now absolutely love him. Here's hoping our hatred will also disappear?

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There will be a few outliers who grow post being drafted but it’s few. Not many boys grow height wise after 16, they will fill out and develop muscle mass etc, and even less girls. It would seem almost counter intuitive to think the kids having late puberty and so late growth spurts are being over represented in the AFL draft

What there will be is variance in accuracy of measurement techniques, a cm here and there and the player/club will always take an extra cm or 2 gained that way. Clubs tinkering with heights has history, "Collingwood 6 footer". Even without people playing with the numbers there will always be variances and lack of standardisation in the technique and equipment used from the TAC club, to the AFL to individual clubs etc. It will be a combination of that and the clubs desire to put up the highest measure taken that will account for the "improvement" seen post draft.

Cripps is the classic recent true late growth spurt. His story fits perfectly with the kid who shot up aged 16-18 due to late onset puberty. These kids will be the little one in the team at 15 years old as almost everyone else has had their growth spurt. Puberty usually starts around 11 for girls and 12 for boys, full height will be reached about 4 years after that. Its only the very late puberties that will put on height after 18. See quotes below

TradeDraft draft bought up Darcy Moore as an interesting example. His draft data pegs him at 199 and current height 203. I have tried to find some references re his early years at Collingwood to see when his height change took place. Couldnt find anything. Loooking at his draft photos he looks a mature 18 year old and there is no reference to a late growth spurt in any articles I saw which would be the clue to who might be the one to get the few extra cms when they got to the club. My guess would be he didnt gain anything much after being drafted but thats an educated guess.

This came up regarding Hines estimate that Begg has grown 3cm since arriving at the club. Even more unlikely since he arrived the year after his TAC cup year and has just turned 19 and his TAC cup photos dont look like that late puberty kid.

THE TALL SMALL

Cripps' other unusual attribute was his height for an inside mid. He was then about 190 centimetres, having sprouted from the age of 15. "I was about 170-175 (centimetres) ... I was the smallest at my footy team and then probably 16 to 18 I shot up to about 190. And once I got to the club (Carlton), I grew another five centimetres.''

Cripps is the tallest bona-fide midfielder in the history of the game. On the field, he often stoops to conquer, since much of his game is played crouched over the ball, in a thicket of bodies. But when you stand next to him, his height is striking - exceeding that of many noted and imposing key forwards, including his sometime mentor Jonathan Brown (194).

As Cripps explained, he developed a small man's game, which he continued to play as he sprouted into a key-position body, having hit puberty late. "Everyone says 'you're big for a midfielder' but I felt like, I still feel like I've got all the traits of a small mid, just from growing up.'
Lol most blokes still grow post 16

Back