Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Jen, love your posts unfortunately the best I can do is like them to show my appreciation.

Question: Do you know what is going on with Bassirou Faye and why he isn't with the 1st to 4th year players?
Ah good question. Going by his insta he has been doing some personal training. He should join in soon I imagine. I'll keep an eye out when that happens.

Read the paragraph about boys:

Admittedly blokes could be a different sub-category
How come Darcy Moore has been able to add height along with a bunch of school leavers? Doesn't make sense, really. Google isn't a great medical tool, either.

November pre-season session #2.

Today's attendance: 1-4 year players

IQ
Tyler B
Bianco
Noble
Keane
Wilson
Henry
Cal B
Macrae
Kelly
Ruscoe
Poulter
Reef
Murphy
McMahon
McCreery
Ginnivan
Chugg
Begg
Johnton

Senior players:
Madgen
Pendles
Adams
Maynard
Roughy
Mihochek
Cameron
WHE

Adams first session. He mainly did running with some boys (Maynard, Madgen) and then he was on the bike. But he looks in good shape.
Keane's first session back from Ireland.

Also looks like Pendles might be playing at half back.

A lighter session this morning. A warm and muggy day, especially quite early. Started around 9:30 and almost went to 12.

Mainly it was drills based, skills. Stoppage work and contest.

There was a real emphasis on the contest and winning your own ball. There was some drills with forwards with marking contests. Bit of game work.

It was evident Ash Johnston has a lot of work to do with his fitness to be at AFL level. He was puffed out while they were doing the contest drills, hunched over. I know this is his first pre-season so maybe its a big jump up from his SANFL pre-season, but has a bit to go to be up to the level.

Begg did pretty welll. He is quite athletic, has no issue getting ground balls, and definitely up toward roughy's height. Was going one on one with him.
He also played some ruck when doing the stoppages, given Cameron was in one group, there had to be someone to ruck for Begg's group.

Love all your work Jen, thanks for all that you do.

You would've seen a fair bit of Ash Johnson now? Apart from his fitness, how does he appear to be going? Skill wise and whether it looks like he's settling in?

Also re Johnson, is it Johnson or Johnston?

How come Darcy Moore has been able to add height along with a bunch of school leavers? Doesn't make sense, really. Google isn't a great medical tool, either.

Using some exceptions to describe "most" isnt a great medical tool either. But yes some do grow after 16. In terms of draftees, we're talking about growing after 18, so you're likely to get even less than that some - a much smaller some.

Last edited:
Love all your work Jen, thanks for all that you do.

You would've seen a fair bit of Ash Johnson now? Apart from his fitness, how does he appear to be going? Skill wise and whether it looks like he's settling in?

Also re Johnson, is it Johnson or Johnston?
Hard to say given before the lockdown, He was coming back from 2 finger injuries and once he recovered, he played a couple scratch matches behind closed doors, so i haven't seen too much.

Johnson.

Lol, no they don't. And the ones that do grow past that age, most of them don't grow by much.
Every day while standing up you shrink by a cm or 2. You go to bed and wake up about 2 cm taller. Why is this so? Gravity pulls your body down while you are standing during the day causing you to shrink. While you are asleep you are lying down undoing the effects of gravity. Height like weight is much more fluid then you think. Fact if you want to get your maximum height, measure it just after you wake up.

Jen2310 you be excited for Fridays Training Session with Nick Daicos there
He'll be there, but his official first session will be monday. But friday he may just observe training like the 2019 crop did on their first day. As there is usually lot of induction type stuff draftees go through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be there, but his official first session will be monday. But friday he may just observe training like the 2019 crop did on their first day. As there is usually lot of induction type stuff draftees go through.
Seeings he did pre-season last year he may not need an induction

Every day while standing up you shrink by a cm or 2. You go to bed and wake up about 2 cm taller. Why is this so? Gravity pulls your body down while you are standing during the day causing you to shrink. While you are asleep you are lying down undoing the effects of gravity. Height like weight is much more fluid then you think. Fact if you want to get your maximum height, measure it just after you wake up.
Good tip for small kids wanting to get on the rides at Luna Park. Go early.

Reminds me of the theory that one's nose and ears keep growing throughout life. That's why old ppl look to have bigger ones. What's really happening is that the supporting cartilage is slowly disappearing. So they aint growing, just getting floppier.

And struggled
To be fair, he had been on baby watch. Once moved to the wing, he was a decent player. Hoskin-Elliott is at the crossroads. If his season is mediocre, he probably goes. But a good season on the wing and I think we renew him. He's been elevated this season to Chief Whipping Boy after the departure of JT. Jack Madgen is his deputy purely because Madge will play more VFL footy this year. Probably.

To be fair, he had been on baby watch. Once moved to the wing, he was a decent player. Hoskin-Elliott is at the crossroads. If his season is mediocre, he probably goes. But a good season on the wing and I think we renew him. He's been elevated this season to Chief Whipping Boy after the departure of JT. Jack Madgen is his deputy purely because Madge will play more VFL footy this year. Probably.
No way he plays on after this year

Lol most blokes still grow post 16
Most boys reach their full height in their 16th year, while they are 16. This isnt really in question. There are some who will still grow post draft but not many. Finn Callaghan based on the same story as Cripps of a late puberty may still have a cm or a few to grow. Thats the story you need, the late growth spurt and getting those last few cms post draft time.

I spend my professional life measuring growth. Its an area I understand. There will always be explanations as to why different measurement will be obtained in checking someones height even when there has been no real change in height and they should be considered. A 2cm variance in somone 200cm is only being 1% out. I dont know how good the techniques are the AFL uses in doing these measures but I would expect there is always a margin or error.

Most boys reach their full height in their 16th year, while they are 16. This isnt really in question. There are some who will still grow post draft but not many. Finn Callaghan based on the same story as Cripps of a late puberty may still have a cm or a few to grow. Thats the story you need, the late growth spurt and getting those last few cms post draft time.

I spend my professional life measuring growth. Its an area I understand. There will always be explanations as to why different measurement will be obtained in checking someones height even when there has been no real change in height and they should be considered. A 2cm variance in somone 200cm is only being 1% out. I dont know how good the techniques are the AFL uses in doing these measures but I would expect there is always a margin or error.

Would recruiters get into checking if a player’s growth plates are still open? Or is that going too far? / Not reliable?

Would recruiters get into checking if a player’s growth plates are still open? Or is that going too far? / Not reliable?
Don't see the point. Too much obsession with height. Sure the occasional kid may grow a couple of centimetres post draft, but how often would it be the difference between making it or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back