Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Was McVee on Dusty? Seemed like it early on but no mention of either really for the rest of the game.

One inconsistency I've never been able to understand in the rules - when Spargo took that shot earlier and sprayed it, there was a free kick given to him for a late hit which he then had to take from the spot that the infringement occurred, which was outside his distance.

When Bolton was hit late just then, it was downfield to Rioli. There was a much greater advantage in that scenario.
Think it was because Spargo’s went through for a behind.

Good hitout.

Teams take these pre-season games seriously these days. You only get 1 before the real stuff, it's not like wizard cup days when they'd play a bunch of 18 year olds for exposure.

Plenty of the games have had serious tackling and hardness around the ball. Transition running and team defence is a little looser for sure, but I think it's a decent enough form guide.

Structure wise I don't think too much is going to change. When Gawndy goes off and they kick goals it'll look good, but if they drop marks we will look super slow and cumbersome with BBB out there too. I'd play Fritta and drop BBB for balance but the club loves the tall setup.

Ball movement was pretty slick despite Tiges being lethargic. We look so much better with Bowey distributing off half back and he's been winning heaps of 1v1s. Looks super strong despite his size. Could be in for a big year. Judd McVee spent a lot of time on Dusty and did well. Reckon he's got a future.

Good hitout.

Teams take these pre-season games seriously these days. You only get 1 before the real stuff, it's not like wizard cup days when they'd play a bunch of 18 year olds for exposure.

Plenty of the games have had serious tackling and hardness around the ball. Transition running and team defence is a little looser for sure, but I think it's a decent enough form guide.

Structure wise I don't think too much is going to change. When Gawndy goes off and they kick goals it'll look good, but if they drop marks we will look super slow and cumbersome with BBB out there too. I'd play Fritta and drop BBB for balance but the club loves the tall setup.

Ball movement was pretty slick despite Tiges being lethargic. We look so much better with Bowey distributing off half back and he's been winning heaps of 1v1s. Looks super strong despite his size. Could be in for a big year. Judd McVee spent a lot of time on Dusty and did well. Reckon he's got a future.
Feels like they're grooming McVee to be the new Nev/Hibberd (maybe without Hibberd's rebounding power).

Didn't get much of it today, but still think he looks pretty solid.

Random observations:

• Early days, but our ball movement and delivery inside 50 seems much better. Still a few times where we bombed it onto a pack of 10 players, but at least we tended to put it more centrally rather than to the pockets all the time. Seems to be a clear plan to move the ball quickly through the middle from defence, and it's worked well in the two practice matches.
  • Gawn and Grundy working well together so far. They're not getting in each others' way around the ground (which is what I was most worried about) and Gawn is so good around the ground that freeing him from primary ruck duties might even see him improve his game on an individual level. Six goals obviously a great return from the two of them.
  • Hunter is a great pickup. Teams have worked out how important Langdon is to us, and had gotten pretty good at tagging him out of the game, but that's not going to work if you have Hunter getting free on the other wing. His disposal and footy smarts are elite.
  • Bowey booked himself a spot in the 22 next week. Surprisingly good one-on-one defender for a guy who's about 5'2" and his disposal and ability to hit targets is a real weapon going the other way.
  • I liked that we gave McVee the job on Martin all day, and although he didn't get as much of it as last week, he held his own defensively and certainly didn't do his chances of debuting in round 1 any harm.
  • Still unclear as to what our best forward line setup will be going forward. Chandler tries hard, and deserves to get a run in the seniors at some point during the year, but I'm not sure he's able to lock down a small forward position just yet. Brown and McDonald haven't exactly blown me away in either of the games, but I guess they'll both be there for round one. Spargo got a lot more of the ball than usual which is a positive sign. Fristch to come back in will make us look a lot more dangerous.
  • May is a beast. So is Petracca. Mark them both down for AA again.
  • Liked the glimpses we saw of Wowoedin. A bit worried about whether Laurie will ever make the grade.

Random observations:

• Early days, but our ball movement and delivery inside 50 seems much better. Still a few times where we bombed it onto a pack of 10 players, but at least we tended to put it more centrally rather than to the pockets all the time. Seems to be a clear plan to move the ball quickly through the middle from defence, and it's worked well in the two practice matches.
  • Gawn and Grundy working well together so far. They're not getting in each others' way around the ground (which is what I was most worried about) and Gawn is so good around the ground that freeing him from primary ruck duties might even see him improve his game on an individual level. Six goals obviously a great return from the two of them.
  • Hunter is a great pickup. Teams have worked out how important Langdon is to us, and had gotten pretty good at tagging him out of the game, but that's not going to work if you have Hunter getting free on the other wing. His disposal and footy smarts are elite.
  • Bowey booked himself a spot in the 22 next week. Surprisingly good one-on-one defender for a guy who's about 5'2" and his disposal and ability to hit targets is a real weapon going the other way.
  • I liked that we gave McVee the job on Martin all day, and although he didn't get as much of it as last week, he held his own defensively and certainly didn't do his chances of debuting in round 1 any harm.
  • Still unclear as to what our best forward line setup will be going forward. Chandler tries hard, and deserves to get a run in the seniors at some point during the year, but I'm not sure he's able to lock down a small forward position just yet. Brown and McDonald haven't exactly blown me away in either of the games, but I guess they'll both be there for round one. Spargo got a lot more of the ball than usual which is a positive sign. Fristch to come back in will make us look a lot more dangerous.
  • May is a beast. So is Petracca. Mark them both down for AA again.
  • Liked the glimpses we saw of Wowoedin. A bit worried about whether Laurie will ever make the grade.
Agree with pretty much all of this except for maybe McDonald. Don't have a history of liking him much, but thought he was good today. Makes a huge difference having him play that high CHF role

Agree with pretty much all of this except for maybe McDonald. Don't have a history of liking him much, but thought he was good today. Makes a huge difference having him play that high CHF role

Thought this was the fittest he’s looked in a while. Need probably 30+ goals out of him this year along with Gawn and Grundy kicking 30+ between them.

Still feel like the right play was to have Petty train and play as a forward until JVR is ready. Disco playing CHB would likely be more effective than BBB at FF.

I love Benny, but he's past it, and still doesn't suit our gameplan.
More important to have a good backline than forward. Lever as the second tall ruins our game more than whatever our forward line is

Brown is awful

Has any AFL club ever taken a Godfather approach to contracts that hurt your salary cap?

We got the last good footy out of him 2 years ago - there just wasn't much left. Either force feed him a steak to stop him getting pushed off every contest by a stiff breeze, or send him to the Magoos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown is still contracted for this year and next, but if his form stays like this I can see him and the club coming to an agreement end of this year. Doesn’t help JVR gave us nothing in two preseason hitouts and language from the club indicates he is a fair way off still.

Brown is still contracted for this year and next, but if his form stays like this I can see him and the club coming to an agreement end of this year. Doesn’t help JVR gave us nothing in two preseason hitouts and language from the club indicates he is a fair way off still.
He played with Casey yeah? Any match reports from that?

Only just started watching the replay and have already seen Brown fluff a few, the one where Kozzie hit the perfect pass from the wing, Brown went for a diving mark with minimal pressure and completely fluffed it, and because he dived he was out of the contest once the ball hit the deck, that would get my blood boiling in a normal game.

Didn’t watch every minute of it but a couple of observations from pre-season:

1) Riv could be a really good player but not as a deep defender. Midfield rotation from here on pls.

2) Big selection decision on whether to play BBB when Fritsch is back. I think they probably will start that way, knowing they can make a tactical sub to take Brown off if we’re too tall.

3) I think Chandler should play. With Kosi playing up the ground we need a close to home small forward.

4) Harmes is in a bit of trouble I reckon. Seems to have slipped further down the pecking order and will probably rely on tagging jobs to be first 22.

Last edited:
Apparently had zero impact from what I read. Think we need to relax a bit with the expectations on him, he’s still 19.
Where did you read this?

I've looked everywhere and cannot find anything regarding yesterday's VFL game.

Richmond's VFL twitter was providing live updates throughout the day and even a VFL report was up this morning on their website.

Meanwhile our useless media department provided no updates or even a brief summary of who played well and goalkickers.

Where did you read this?

Richmond's VFL twitter was providing live updates throughout the day and even a VFL report was up this morning on their website.

Meanwhile our useless media department provided no updates or even a brief summary of who played well and goalkickers.
Tend to agree. I'm all for giving the new people time to fill the rolls, but our media is abysmal at the moment. Season starts in two weeks and we still haven't got player photos on the site, whilst most other clubs do. Further to that, our team photo was presented in a conference room without the background being edited. The articles on the site are hopeless too, nobody is proofreading them. That one article last week referred to "Brody Grundy" multiple times.

Aside from Yze at a presser saying JVR " Is in good form" , i can find no other mention of Caseys game v Tigers anywhere in relation to our players .

Where did you read this?

Might be mandela effect and I never actually read it lol, I swear I saw that somewhere.

Yeah media department is really struggling right now. Even if the person is new there is no reason to be like this.

Might be mandela effect and I never actually read it lol, I swear I saw that somewhere.

Yeah media department is really struggling right now. Even if the person is new there is no reason to be like this.
Had a mate there early for the Casey game, didn't get many specifics but said JVR was good, kicked 2-3 goals, Howes also looked good playing a Salem-like role in the same game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back