Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw JVR kick 2 goals after taking marks inside forward 50 on a dees fan vlog and nearly nail another from 55. He cant have been that bad if in the 4 or so minutes of footage he did that

I saw JVR kick 2 or 3 goals after taking marks inside forward 50 on a dees fan vlog and nearly nail another from 55. He cant have been that bad if in the 4 or so minutes of footage he did that
This is why ATG's are better supporters than ones who watch from home.

This is why ATG's are better supporters than ones who watch from home.

schmuttt talking utter s**t isn't exclusive to him being at home , im sure he does it when hes at ATG also :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sure a commentator mentioned JVR during the broadcast. Sounded like he’d watched the 2s and JVR was good. Think it was Healy.
i think it was actually Derrwayne Russell who said that.

the poor bloke looks a bit down for a pre season VFL scratch match loss. i think he's definitely got the #demonspirit

A little off topic, anyone notice Dwayne justifying the additional 'end zone' umpires late in the game. He was talking as if fans will still complain about missed free kicks even though the additional umpires are there to pick up missed free kicks. Pretty sure most fans aren't worried about missed free kicks but rather worried about the game will be over umpired. Having said that I thought the umpires were fine on the weekend (mainly it's because they are instructed to be bias against Richmond of course)

A little off topic, anyone notice Dwayne justifying the additional 'end zone' umpires late in the game. He was talking as if fans will still complain about missed free kicks even though the additional umpires are there to pick up missed free kicks. Pretty sure most fans aren't worried about missed free kicks but rather worried about the game will be over umpired. Having said that I thought the umpires were fine on the weekend (mainly it's because they are instructed to be bias against Richmond of course)
Nah idk I'd say a lot of fans are worried about missed free kicks, cos it just shows the inconsistency

I *ing hate when there's a missed holding/dropping the ball. Bugs me more than a lot of howlers.
The golden years of footy had a a shitton more free kicks

Nah idk I'd say a lot of fans are worried about missed free kicks, cos it just shows the inconsistency

I *ing hate when there's a missed holding/dropping the ball. Bugs me more than a lot of howlers.
The golden years of footy had a a shitton more free kicks
I guess we'll see how it works, it might take some guesswork out but I'm still worried about over adjudication.

Free kicks back in the day used to actually mean something. 60 free kicks a game for a fingernail on a shoulder or looking too angrily at an opponent don't improve s**t.

The golden years of footy also had blokes punching each other's teeth out behind the play so therefore that clearly made it better

Only thing I'm worried about is the AFL trying to play music between goals again. I absolutely hate that s**t.
I've never been to a game at the Gold Coast but that trumpet thing after every Suns goal would do my head in, it's bad enough on TV. Actually had a flash back to the early 00s with the roar-o-metre with Richmond, or the Doggies, Doggies, Doggies, woof woof woof, or the clip of the hawthorn mascot jumping infront of fireworks on the big screen. I don't remember a Melbourne one, but I'm sure there was something.

Free kicks back in the day used to actually mean something. 60 free kicks a game for a fingernail on a shoulder or looking too angrily at an opponent don't improve s**t.

The golden years of footy also had blokes punching each other's teeth out behind the play so therefore that clearly made it better

I hate the soft frees, it's more I wish they would "overumpire" dropping the ball.

To me missed HTB/Incorrect disposal calls is worse than a few soft free here and there

Last edited:

According to afltables the 60's, 70's and 80's had huge free kick counts. Way bigger than today, high 20's and 30's each way and in the low 40's each way in the late 70's. It wasn't until the 90's they started to drop down. They've increased a bit in the past couple of years but still sitting around 20 odd per team per game which is about what it was until '94.

Obviously players belted each other way more back then though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back