Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the soft frees, it's more I wish they would "overumpire" dropping the ball.

To me missed HTB/Incorrect disposal calls is worse than a few soft free here and there
Agree re HTB. They let so many drops and throws go to 'let the game flow' but it creates a congested mess. Then randomly ping a guy at the bottom of a 8 man pile on for not making a 'genuine attempt' to dispose of it.

I hate the soft frees, it's more I wish they would "overumpire" dropping the ball.

To me missed HTB/Incorrect disposal calls is worse than a few soft free here and there
I agree with that would also open up the game from being stuck in the mauls. I just don't buy that they will pay more of the right free kick, rather when gonna see way more holding the man's from little tugs etc.

From the AFLs perspective making the correct decision on holding the balls isn't even a priority.

Their priority is to "keep the game moving", regardless of whether the decisions are consistent with the rules.

That's why it's fine to drop it cold when you're tackled, but win a hard ball and have 4 opponents sit on you and it's holding the ball. Nothing will change until AFL House put umpiring to the rules ahead of their ridiculous 'keep it moving' meddling which actually results in slower and lower scoring football.

Haven't seen Laurie since a few bright moments in the first quarter. Doubt he gets another year if he doesn't break through soon.
I was just thinking gees what did we maybe miss out on after him in that 2020 draft pool, and it is really slim pickings.

The only ones I would be upset about missing out on are Sam Berry, Corey Durdin, McCreery and O'Driscoll.. and Berry probably doesn't fit in that well with our squad to be fair.

The likes of Gulden, McInnes etc would have all been matched bids. Pretty weak pool in terms of depth at least, we did well to get Bowey.

I was just thinking gees what did we maybe miss out on after him in that 2020 draft pool, and it is really slim pickings.

The only ones I would be upset about missing out on are Sam Berry, Corey Durdin, McCreery and O'Driscoll.. and Berry probably doesn't fit in that well with our squad to be fair.

The likes of Gulden, McInnes etc would have all been matched bids. Pretty weak pool in terms of depth at least, we did well to get Bowey.

Missed out on Holmes when Geelong traded up. Bunch of jerkoffs.

Missed out on Holmes when Geelong traded up. Bunch of jerkoffs.
Not that I disagree on the description of Geelong, but I seem to recall an interview with Jason Taylor saying Holmes was on our radar but more likely at pick 34 which ultimately was used for Rosman.

Or maybe he just said that to save face after getting trumped by those pesky cats.

I also recall in one of those draft behind the scenes things Taylor called out that Geelong were going for Holmes prior to it being announced on draft night. So it was no surprise to the recruiting team.

I hope so, I really wanted to love him after the finals series in 2021 but he was so meh last year.
I thought he showed some signs in the Richmond game, and I think more CBA's will only be good for him.

I thought he showed some signs in the Richmond game, and I think more CBA's will only be good for him.

I didnt watch the Tigers game, only saw the highlights. But ive heard a few in the media talking him up, King and Joey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind seeing a few more goals from him, he has a good kick distance wise. Felt like his tackling pressure was way down last year amongst the rest of the team. Still only 22 so still plenty of improvement.

Just felt like he was never in games last year, no presence at all. And his clutch goal kicking from the previous season deserted him badly, was spraying shots on goal everywhere.

Last edited:
Pickett.jpg

I do remember one bit of play last year with Kozzy. Obvs a non issue, but i honestly remembering him thinking a ball was going out of bounds and stopping to adjust his head band before realising it wasn't out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back