Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure we can pin point Sydney as the game that cost us the finals.

The warning signs had been building well before the finals.

Simply, the good clubs worked us out. Our main issue was that we never had a plan B in place when those teams got a good run on.

Game plan became incredibly stale and one dimensional with the same blokes not standing up in the heat of the moment.
I don't think we would have won the GF by any stretch but that bruising encounter was a big reason why we ran out of legs in the final v Brisbane

Yea that was probably my third fav game of the season behind the wins vs Freo and Brisbane in round 23
Feel like alot of the best games we've played in the last few years have been bloody losses. Games vs the dogs, pies, cats, crows etc that we all lost we played our best stuff

I don't think we would have won the GF by any stretch but that bruising encounter was a big reason why we ran out of legs in the final v Brisbane
Was it? We ran out of legs in every game of the second half of the season

Feel like alot of the best games we've played in the last few years have been bloody losses. Games vs the dogs, pies, cats, crows etc that we all lost we played our best stuff

So true. It would be nice to win a high scoring shootout for a change.

But it wasn't though?

Majority of the losses we had last year was because we were completely gassed after half time. This was no different against Brisbane.

It was seriously same old rinse and repeat which summed up our year as a whole.

Having watched both finals of last year on repeat I would even go as far as saying that the Sydney game wasn't as bruising as what you've made out to be. I personally thought the Collingwood and Carlton game was far more intense and physical.

Sydney just completely out worked us from a work rate point of view. They seemed far more fitter and ran in waves supporting one another.

We couldn't keep unfortunately.

Good teams adapt and change to stay ahead of the competition.

You can still run out the basic gameplan that gets you so far, but it needs tweaks or personel changes. 17 other clubs have had a season and an offseason to study how you play and how to beat you. We neither changed our gamestyle and the only personel changes i saw late season was putting ******* melksham back into the starting lineup.

Also we looked gassed by the final quarter of most games, even during the early points of the season you could tell we wheren't running out games. It's easy to blame the loss of burgess, there are probably other factors at play too. But it's really what it feels like. The 2022 team wouldn't have been able to run down the cats like the 2021 team

Burgess had been panned by other clubs for extracting short-term results at the expense of longevity.

His time at Port seemingly looked like that from the outside, had them up and going and running out games in a crazy manner only to fall in a heap a few years later.

He was there from 2013-2017: 7th (won 1 final), 5th (won 2 finals, lost Prelim by 3 pts), 9th, 10th, 5th (lost first final)

There's obviously a lot of factors that goes into performance and fitness is only 1 - and is part luck anyway - but Goody did say that we were exhausted/spent by the end of 2022 and that the gameplan wasn't sustainable.

Will be very interesting to see what we roll out with in 2023, given our best players aren't particularly quick or skillful.

He can be the calmest person in the world until he sorts out his technique it won't do anything.

Saw the video and he doesn't seem to have improved his technique. Walks in way too slowly, leans back and as a result drops the ball while lifting it upwards rather than guiding it down to his boot.

Unfortunately Trac really only makes good contact with his kicks when he is running and he spears them hard and low. And even then he often kicks them to nobody.

Burgess had been panned by other clubs for extracting short-term results at the expense of longevity.

His time at Port seemingly looked like that from the outside, had them up and going and running out games in a crazy manner only to fall in a heap a few years later.

He was there from 2013-2017: 7th (won 1 final), 5th (won 2 finals, lost Prelim by 3 pts), 9th, 10th, 5th (lost first final)

There's obviously a lot of factors that goes into performance and fitness is only 1 - and is part luck anyway - but Goody did say that we were exhausted/spent by the end of 2022 and that the gameplan wasn't sustainable.

Will be very interesting to see what we roll out with in 2023, given our best players aren't particularly quick or skillful.
Very happy to get a Burgess hate train going. * that guy.

Helped us get a flag, but at what cost?

But at what cost?

Could even be a blessing in disguise having Max stay fresh and doing rehab through February. Don't need him hobbling around looking exhausted and beat up through the second half of the year again.

Plus any games that Max misses makes the Grundy pick up even better.

I do enjoy the "oh no, whatever will we do without an All-Australian ruckman 😏" attitude; however, I would be hesitant to say the injury doesn't really matter when it will result in Brown playing and McDonald playing the backup ruck role. Not ideal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache takes the pinch-hitting role if Gawn is unavailable Rnd 1

HF - Harmes, T McDonald, Pickett
F - Fritsch, Schache, Van Rooyen

Gawn hasn’t had a scan yet , maybe we wait for the results and then take him out the back . Could be serious, could be minor . Could need an amputation. We shall see .

Gawn hasn’t had a scan yet , maybe we wait for the results and then take him out the back . Could be serious, could be minor . Could need an amputation. We shall see .

Na * that, without knowing precisely how bad Gawn's hamstring injury is, would you say it's time for MFC BF board posters to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside? Yes I would TopKent

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back