Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done the opposite and bought a bunch the last couple of years. Usually in the post season when you get at least 50% off previous years kit. Have a royal blue, long sleeve, indigenous all from the past 5 years or so, plus a few older ones from the 00's when I was a kid.
Yeah I bought a royal blue 2022 one with that sweet sweet gold AFL logo

My last update, and current jumper, is the 150th year jumper from 2008. I don't imagine I'll ever own another one, certainly not through parting with my own folding.

I have a handful of 08-12 era jumpers, all signed by either the club or a handful of players through sports industry connections. They're in a box in my cupboard. I also have the 2018 top that i won for doing something or other. it's mounted and on display where visitors can't see it for aesthetic reasons (those reasons being sports things are ******* ugly and terrible and shouldn't ever be displayed anywhere)

Training report from danster168 this week:

Grundy wasn't all that involved in the full ground drills but in the handball drills later on he was getting more involved.

Petty is carrying a finger injury. I'm not sure if it was a dislocation or something else but he came out of training with his already taped up finger and had the physios do some painful adjustments.

Ollie Sestan is also carrying a knee injury. He also has a taped up knee and when walking the boundary with a limp he was asked by his dad (I'm assuming it was his dad) on the boundary line what was wrong with his knee and he said something along the lines of 'just pulled up a bit sore'. His dad then told him to pick up the intensity and then walked away.

I wouldn't say there was any track standouts on the track. I just look at mostly who is in shape physically and covering the ground well. Lachie Hunter was involved in the full ground match style drill. I expect him to reach about 25 touches a game this year and just take the easy option which is a good thing.

Brayshaw has been rightfully criticised for his body shape and whilst i'd like him to demonstrate a bit more professionalism in this area I feel like he is starting to edge close to his usual match fitness. He was finding a bit of the ball in the full ground drills.

JVR is looking good despite Alan Richardson on the radio telling fans to temper their expectations I think he is currently our best key forward target.

Jefferson wasn't involved too much in the full match stuff but I continue to see him as a player. He'll need to continue to bulk up and work on developing a harder edge to his game. Skills wise he looks the goods and he covers the ground well.

Viney I feel like is playing at a career high weight next season. just going by the eye. He seems even more stocky than usual.

Our team doesn't really have any line breakers off half back so ball movement will have to be better than ever before. I feel like people are writing off Hibberd a bit too soon. He's still a great lock down defender and he was training with his usual good intensity. He's not a line breaker per se but he offers drive.

Overall, the training intensity was good. I would've liked the team to include set shot goal kicking in the full ground drill instead of just handballing the ball back to the opposing team once the ball was marked i50. After the full ground drill they then broke off for goal kicking practice which of course doesn't have any match conditions associated with it with next to little to no pressure. So I hope it's a real focus in other sessions.

Daniel Turner was sadly running laps. His attack on the ball and man is borderline kamikaze so I'd like to see him grab his chance and play 15+ games. I'm not sure if it's this season however.

Jake Bowey has put on real size and he is actually one of the more ripped blokes at the club. It's also time for him to take his chances and play every game. His ball use is important for us I believe.

I was critical of Schache during the trade period but his physical conditioning is elite right now which tells me he's put in a lot of work and keen to make an impact at his new club.
Tom Mcdonald got caught a few times trying to dance around the guy on the mark which is obviously strange. I agree that he looks in decent shape but I don't think he is a lock for the best 22.

Lever was on the sidelines at training. His leadership is still evident in terms of being vocal. I haven't completely forgiven him for his brain fade at the end of last year vs Brisbane so after a long off-season I still feel like he 'owes us'. A little harsh but it was a poignant moment in the last minute of our season so I want a big season from Jake.

Jed Adams and Will Verrall were running laps and maybe it might just be a hunch but I get a feeling Adams may be another Jason Taylor special similar to Petty. And we all know how much we could do with 2 Pettys. I dispute the earlier report that Adams is the same height as Verrall. Verrall is next level and if the club wanted to turn him into a Brayden Preuss I think they could. Wide shoulders. At the very least a stef Martin. He could fill out to be massive but only if the club wanted him to of course.

Petracca I think is primed for a big season. After a stellar 2021 his goal kicking let him down in 2022 and overall he probably dropped about 5%. But he looks to have dropped even more weight this season maybe with the intention of covering the ground even better. I'm expecting big things from Trac.

Grundy wasn't all that involved in the full ground drills but in the handball drills later on he was getting more involved.

Petty is carrying a finger injury. I'm not sure if it was a dislocation or something else but he came out of training with his already taped up finger and had the physios do some painful adjustments.

Ollie Sestan is also carrying a knee injury. He also has a taped up knee and when walking the boundary with a limp he was asked by his dad (I'm assuming it was his dad) on the boundary line what was wrong with his knee and he said something along the lines of 'just pulled up a bit sore'. His dad then told him to pick up the intensity and then walked away.

I wouldn't say there was any track standouts on the track. I just look at mostly who is in shape physically and covering the ground well. Lachie Hunter was involved in the full ground match style drill. I expect him to reach about 25 touches a game this year and just take the easy option which is a good thing.

Brayshaw has been rightfully criticised for his body shape and whilst i'd like him to demonstrate a bit more professionalism in this area I feel like he is starting to edge close to his usual match fitness. He was finding a bit of the ball in the full ground drills.

JVR is looking good despite Alan Richardson on the radio telling fans to temper their expectations I think he is currently our best key forward target.

Jefferson wasn't involved too much in the full match stuff but I continue to see him as a player. He'll need to continue to bulk up and work on developing a harder edge to his game. Skills wise he looks the goods and he covers the ground well.

Viney I feel like is playing at a career high weight next season. just going by the eye. He seems even more stocky than usual.

Our team doesn't really have any line breakers off half back so ball movement will have to be better than ever before. I feel like people are writing off Hibberd a bit too soon. He's still a great lock down defender and he was training with his usual good intensity. He's not a line breaker per se but he offers drive.

Overall, the training intensity was good. I would've liked the team to include set shot goal kicking in the full ground drill instead of just handballing the ball back to the opposing team once the ball was marked i50. After the full ground drill they then broke off for goal kicking practice which of course doesn't have any match conditions associated with it with next to little to no pressure. So I hope it's a real focus in other sessions.

Daniel Turner was sadly running laps. His attack on the ball and man is borderline kamikaze so I'd like to see him grab his chance and play 15+ games. I'm not sure if it's this season however.

Jake Bowey has put on real size and he is actually one of the more ripped blokes at the club. It's also time for him to take his chances and play every game. His ball use is important for us I believe.

I was critical of Schache during the trade period but his physical conditioning is elite right now which tells me he's put in a lot of work and keen to make an impact at his new club.
Tom Mcdonald got caught a few times trying to dance around the guy on the mark which is obviously strange. I agree that he looks in decent shape but I don't think he is a lock for the best 22.

Lever was on the sidelines at training. His leadership is still evident in terms of being vocal. I haven't completely forgiven him for his brain fade at the end of last year vs Brisbane so after a long off-season I still feel like he 'owes us'. A little harsh but it was a poignant moment in the last minute of our season so I want a big season from Jake.

Jed Adams and Will Verrall were running laps and maybe it might just be a hunch but I get a feeling Adams may be another Jason Taylor special similar to Petty. And we all know how much we could do with 2 Pettys. I dispute the earlier report that Adams is the same height as Verrall. Verrall is next level and if the club wanted to turn him into a Brayden Preuss I think they could. Wide shoulders. At the very least a stef Martin. He could fill out to be massive but only if the club wanted him to of course.

Petracca I think is primed for a big season. After a stellar 2021 his goal kicking let him down in 2022 and overall he probably dropped about 5%. But he looks to have dropped even more weight this season maybe with the intention of covering the ground even better. I'm expecting big things from Trac.
Some of this is great, and reports are welcomed, but there is some genuine shite in here. From running laps, Jed Adams is the next Harry Petty? Hope Grundy was handballing on both sides!

A couple of clips the club put up. Kozzy electric out of a clearance to kick a goal. Howes with some speed and follow up for a nice goal also.
Get some pace around the ball! Koz and Howes would be welcome additions. We are kinda one paced through the middle. I wouldn't call us slow, but we're hardly quick. Trac and Oliver(when he uses his legs to get away from the contest) use their strength, same with Viney although watching him live he can use his speed at stoppages when Oliver is creating. Rotating in Koz, Howes, Spargo, Hunter etc at stoppages can only help us. Oliver is the ball winner, and if he can get it out to these blokes with pace(and tbh most of these guys are fantastic users of the ball), then that gives us a point of difference at stoppages. Brayshaw isn't quick and is one of our worst ball users under pressure and moving the ball forward. Howes looks super quick. Smoky to be best 22 midway through the season i reckon.

Based on this observation I'm wondering if SH is Sestan's old man.

I appreciate the reports from Danster but potting Lever for that 50m penalty last year is so stupid. The game was over as soon as he got caught HTB, we were 7pt down so as soon as Brisbane gained possession it was game over.

I appreciate the reports from Danster but potting Lever for that 50m penalty last year is so stupid. The game was over as soon as he got caught HTB, we were 7pt down so as soon as Brisbane gained possession it was game over.
Geelong would have pantsed us the week after for sure anyway. Trac was done and we were literally running on fumes.

How did Ben Brown look?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I’ve read elsewhere BBB seems to be doing a lot of the training but perhaps not match sim stuff. From what HS said he won’t play round one but not sure about his timeline etc. I’m on JVR bandwagon for round one. With Tmac and Fritta. But we also have to fit in Gawn and Grundy.

Good to see Schache looking good. Maybe my crazy prediction will eventuate.

Excited about Bowey - think he was hard done by getting dropped and should be a walk in best 22.

I have had similar thoughts. Reckon this may end up being his last year.
Brown seems like someone of high morals.

If he’s cooked I can’t see him hanging around trying to collect a pay cheque - especially as the injury happened at North, North pushed him out and Melbourne took a risk on him knowing about the injury.

We also need to be smart in how we use him. Don't play him more than 15 games this year. With Gawn/Grundy/TMc/JVR/Schache as talls in the forward line we don't need to have him flailing around on one leg for 3 months because of the match committee's bloody mindedness.

Great update mate. I think the same with Trac. Charlie time.

Can someone pls tell Ben Brown never to ever ever ever ever ever ever try that shake and bake but actually just stand still move again.
Almost threw a tv out the window last year when he got caught holding the ball trying it when he could've handballed to Spargo.
Now MFC tweeting video of him trying it at training to even less effect.

Stop it or I'm going full Danster on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back