Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Newbies on the track

318312436_10160185833732487_6151419582615146062_n.jpg

317814591_10160185833722487_8060786507865540107_n.jpg

317686593_10160185833727487_6031244226692056263_n.jpg

Is anyone aware of any players on a modified program? It seems as though that none of the players carrying injuries throughout the year (Weightman, Bont, Naughton etc.) ended up needing any post-season surgery.

Gallagher looks so much like Laith VDM, hopefully he’s Laith reincarnated with a footy brain and good skills. Would be an unbelievably good player if that was the case

Taken from GVGjr over on WOOF who was there for the training session

No takers for the WOOF challenge

To my vantage point I believe the top 3 to the MAS running test was Bontempelli, Richards and then Gallagher. That is a sensational effort by Gallagher but it's also a sign that our captain is moving better than he has for a few years. Richards is fitter than ever.
The encouragement from the other players these 3 got was inspiring. At least 4 players headed over to the rookie as he was hunched over after his effort. I even found myself cheering on the players that were really pushing themselves.

As I mentioned the participating players were all paired off and Bont started with Daniel and they were prominent early on. They took some turns to run in front but when the pace started to pick up eventually Bont moved to the front with Daniel running a few steps back.
Other pairings included JJ and Williams, English and Lobb, Richards and Macrae, R.Smith and Gallagher, Hannan and Baker, Liberatore and Bruce and Naughton and Keath. I've missed a few and will update this if I can recall the pairings.

The ones that stood out were R.Smith and Gallagher where Roarke led the way and kept up with the increasing speed before eventually being dropped leaving Gallagher to gut out the last lap or so by himself. Very impressive

English led Lobb all the way and was moving fluently and you could see the distance starting to increase before Lobb eventually said 'No Mas'

Keath and Naughton was an interesting pairing and I'll give Keath a lot of credit for acting as the pace maker for an extended part of their running before Naughty glided past but as the pace increased they both dropped out.

Richards and Macrae looked to be a strong tandem but late in the test Macrae was struggling to lift the tempo leaving Richards to fight it out.

JJ and Williams worked really well together both taking turns up the front but as the pace increased they couldn't stick with it.

I can't quite recall who Sweet was running with but he did very well for a bigger player.

Hannan really set the pace for Baker who looks to be short of some running. He dropped a but earlier than I expected and Hannan looks in good condition.

I can't recall who Clarke was running with but he kept up well and eventually had to run by himself.

Various sessions included

MAS
Speed development
Trafic kick
Runabout / cutback
Ground test
Perimeter kick
8 vs 8 Footy

From WOOF

Full attendance at training this morning including Oskar Baker. Players back included Keath, Gardner, Naughton, English, B.Smith, JJ, Treloar and Crozier and I've probably missed a few others.

After the warmup there was a MAS running test where colored cones were strategically and the players paired off all around the ground with the aim of keeping up to speed and being within the cones on every beep.

The speed started off at 12km and kept increasing by 1km and the breaking point started to happen around 15km with a number of players starting to drop off the pace and out of the test. The pace got up to 19km before it broke the last 3.
This was an excellent contest with a lot of talk and encouragement by the players, coaches and fitness staff.

Bonus WOOF points if you can guess the last 3 players running?

A number of players trained away from the main group and they included Busslinger (his first appearance at training) Treloar, West, VDM, JUH, Gardner, McLean, B.Smith, Darcy, O'Brien and West who all started off in supervised resistance bands exercises.

No takers for the WOOF challenge

To my vantage point I believe the top 3 to the MAS running test was Bontempelli, Richards and then Gallagher. That is a sensational effort by Gallagher but it's also a sign that our captain is moving better than he has for a few years. Richards is fitter than ever.
The encouragement from the other players these 3 got was inspiring. At least 4 players headed over to the rookie as he was hunched over after his effort. I even found myself cheering on the players that were really pushing themselves.

As I mentioned the participating players were all paired off and Bont started with Daniel and they were prominent early on. They took some turns to run in front but when the pace started to pick up eventually Bont moved to the front with Daniel running a few steps back.
Other pairings included JJ and Williams, English and Lobb, Richards and Macrae, R.Smith and Gallagher, Hannan and Baker, Liberatore and Bruce and Naughton and Keath. I've missed a few and will update this if I can recall the pairings.

The ones that stood out were R.Smith and Gallagher where Roarke led the way and kept up with the increasing speed before eventually being dropped leaving Gallagher to gut out the last lap or so by himself. Very impressive

English led Lobb all the way and was moving fluently and you could see the distance starting to increase before Lobb eventually said 'No Mas'

Keath and Naughton was an interesting pairing and I'll give Keath a lot of credit for acting as the pace maker for an extended part of their running before Naughty glided past but as the pace increased they both dropped out.

Richards and Macrae looked to be a strong tandem but late in the test Macrae was struggling to lift the tempo leaving Richards to fight it out.

JJ and Williams worked really well together both taking turns up the front but as the pace increased they couldn't stick with it.

I can't quite recall who Sweet was running with but he did very well for a bigger player.

Hannan really set the pace for Baker who looks to be short of some running. He dropped a but earlier than I expected and Hannan looks in good condition.

I can't recall who Clarke was running with but he kept up well and eventually had to run by himself.

Various sessions included

MAS
Speed development
Trafic kick
Runabout / cutback
Ground test
Perimeter kick
8 vs 8 Footy

Keath looks in ripping nick, looks like he may have dropped some weight too - wonder if that’s with an eye to playing a different role this year with Jones coming in. Can only be good for his longevity.
Plenty have him written off after last year. I hope he’s coming back with a point to prove. Probably playing for his next contract too. A big year from him would be a massive boost for the team.

Keath looks in ripping nick, looks like he may have dropped some weight too - wonder if that’s with an eye to playing a different role this year with Jones coming in. Can only be good for his longevity.

Exactly what I thought.

Gee that would be a massive boost to the side.

Same with Bruce, if he came back to form and fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty have him written off after last year. I hope he’s coming back with a point to prove. Probably playing for his next contract too. A big year from him would be a massive boost for the team.
Could be an argument for more one-year contracts? Keep 'em keen!

I assumed it was injury/physical related.
I heard earlier in the year that a player (which I assumed was Keith) had ongoing covid symptoms that made it hard for him to even get out of bed in the morning (physically not mentally). There was some suggestion that he may even look to retire at the end of the year.

Hopefully this is a sign that he is over it and it will not hinder him going forward.

I believe a few of the boys were knocked around quite a bit by covid so hopefully they all get a clean run at the season next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back