Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Marra seems to be doing everything he can to improve. Hopefully it all comes together for him this year

Hopefully we can kick to his advantage, he got burnt so many times this year when we stuffed around and ignored his leads.

I heard earlier in the year that a player (which I assumed was Keith) had ongoing covid symptoms that made it hard for him to even get out of bed in the morning (physically not mentally). There was some suggestion that he may even look to retire at the end of the year.

Hopefully this is a sign that he is over it and it will not hinder him going forward.

I believe a few of the boys were knocked around quite a bit by covid so hopefully they all get a clean run at the season next year.
I think I recall Bev saying something about this player being Martin in a pre-game presser towards the end of the regular season. Can anyone confirm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby is really important for us this year I think. Have lost a bit of our depth in Lipinski, Dunkley etc the last few season and he looked great when he came back through the VFL and early in the final against Freo. Him and West are in line for some of those midfield rotation minutes and possibly some wing for Toby, so getting a big year from him will be huge.

Toby is really important for us this year I think. Have lost a bit of our depth in Lipinski, Dunkley etc the last few season and he looked great when he came back through the VFL and early in the final against Freo. Him and West are in line for some of those midfield rotation minutes and possibly some wing for Toby, so getting a big year from him will be huge.
McLean is also an effective forward and his running capacity is pretty high, especially given the shape he's come back in.
He's a walk up start to our best 22 when fit

Training report from GVGjr over on WOOF

Really excited to see the spirit and camaraderie between the playing group at the training sessions which is vastly different to some reported friction last season.

Treloar, O'Brien, Darcy and West were really confined in running technique and resistance band work.
Busslinger, Cleary, Gardner, VDM, B.Smith, Marra, Scott and A,Jones alternating between restricted duties but focusing more on some running and kicking skills.

I have to say my appreciation and Vandermeer has really lifted. He really pushes himself and doesn't slacken off in the slightest.
It can't be easy to be one of the players in the restricted group but if his effort displayed so far counts for anything he could be in for a great season. Both he and Bailey Smith did a lot of running together and kept pushing and encouraging each other.

They has been some question marks raised on Keath and Bruce given their struggles last season but from my perspective both have done very well this week and with a bit of luck on the injury front they should both be right in the selection mix.
Mitch Hannan has also been performing well and I wonder if we might have earmarked him to play on a wing.

Various drills today with the focus on moving the ball and linking up. The assistant and development coaches all involved to created congestion. Another version had 3 players working together and Weightman, Clarke and Baker all maintained efficiency.

A drill of keepings off was very vocal. If you missed you target the other team got the ball. The good interceptors really made a difference.

Throughout the session Sweet, Keath, Hannan and Garcia kept catching my eye.
Sweet can really move quickly for a big man, Keath's mobility looks to be back. Hannan's kicking skills stood out as did Garcia's decision making. He really hit the mark with his hand balls.

Sounds like there might be truth to what TBOW said about a player (who he presumes to be Keath) getting hit by covid so bad that he couldn't get out of bed at time. Hannan and Vandermeer lifting in training as well which is a positive as both are playing for contracts beyond next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back