Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been banished to the couch tonight.

20th wedding anniversary and I bought Mrs Shacf a bulldogs membership. She wasn't impressed!
Take her to the season launch, she can glam up a bit and you can check out the team, win/win.

Unacceptable is not an exaggeration. And I didn't say you did, did I?

It is. It's very much an issue when scores from turnover was huge against us last year.

If you're playing a game style that values possession and defensive pressure inside your own F50, and play an attacking setup with your defense, and you hold the leagues leader in turnovers, what do you think that does?

It's not an obvious answer because Dunkley is doing his thing at the coalface where it is notoriously harder to be efficient with the pill.

And no, it's clearly not.

Wut?
You are boring me and everyone else now.

I look forward to your trade scenarios with Smith in the trade thread but in the meantime I am going to enjoy watching him play

There’s the old adage that ‘talls take time’ and The Sir Bont plays tall, I know players get taller every year but he’s 6ft 4, he’d have been a key forward 30 years ago. He relies on brute force more than speed . These will be his prime years .
Only injuries can stop him

Is anyone else worried that Treloar sounds banged up and may miss the start of season, added we lost Dunkley that our mids start to look thin ?
No because he has a lot of natural fitness and won’t need much to get back into it and we have more than enough mids

When you watch a player closely after he joins your team you start to see all thier flaws. He is nice to have but I don't think he is massive loss.

• Poor defensive pressure / widely inconsistent application of effort
  • Losses focus in game all the f*cking time. Move on to the next play man
  • Panics when has the ball in congestion
  • He is a energy taker more than energy giver to the group

3 years left on that contract. If we could undo that trade I would do it tomorrow.
Glad you never did my school reports

I know it's fashionable to take a giant runny s**t on what Dunkley brought to our side in recent years. However I think it's under appreciated how much his ability to mark and goal was instrumental to our sides recent relative success. The only player who has been better in this regard is the best player in the side and the difference between the two in this regard is statistically insignificant. We really need to find a way to wring more goals out of our at times reluctant midfield to score. Jack Macrae Im talking about you!

I suspect this is why we have doubled down on tall forwards with the recruitment of Lobb. And why we will see Weightman rotating through the middle more than any of the aforementioned players. He and to a lesser extent Toby McLean are best suited to play the role of being that marking, goal kicking mid.

It's going to be interesting to see whether we have the balls to risk the unpredictability and energy that Weightman has brought to the forward line by throwing him into the midfield. I can't recall us doing it with him to any extent thus far during a season proper. If it does end up being Mclean. I look forward to the football loving public of Bigfooty collectively losing their minds every time he gets a free kick in the middle of the ground.
I agree that it was his forward work that was the best but he thinks he is a full time mid and I don’t think he is irreplaceable with what he brought to our midfield. I reckon we will cover him comfortably

Wow, Bruce looks fantastic.

I thought he was gone when he did his knee in 2021. It didn't surprise me that he struggled last year but I'm not confident he's gone anymore. Good on him for working hard to get himself in career best shape.
Bruce does look incredible. Suspect he'll play with an extra bit of desperation this year too. May end up in a bizarre scenario where we have KPDs dominating VFL that can't get a game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people have to get used to the idea that we are no longer going to dominate opposition midfields.

Dunkley is massive loss despite his deficiencies. B&F winner in his prime, and what he brought to the team in terms of tackling, pressure and toughness is not something that can be replaced by simple personnel or coaching changes. To say that "Mclean will fill that role" etc is absolute b.s.

Treloar being injured is less of a loss, but when on the park is our third best ball user behind Bont and CD. No point in having all these tall forward targets with the ball not being delivered well. I don't think we have anyone ready to step up here who could match Treloar's output. Garcia is a tryer, West is agressive but still raw and doubt he can step into the midfield full time and Bailey Smith's ball use was woeful for most of last year.

Hunter was much maligned, and probably the only player we could really afford to lose.

As you may guess, I'm not at all confident this year.

I think people have to get used to the idea that we are no longer going to dominate opposition midfields.

Dunkley is massive loss despite his deficiencies. B&F winner in his prime, and what he brought to the team in terms of tackling, pressure and toughness is not something that can be replaced by simple personnel or coaching changes. To say that "Mclean will fill that role" etc is absolute b.s.

Treloar being injured is less of a loss, but when on the park is our third best ball user behind Bont and CD. No point in having all these tall forward targets with the ball not being delivered well. I don't think we have anyone ready to step up here who could match Treloar's output. Garcia is a tryer, West is agressive but still raw and doubt he can step into the midfield full time and Bailey Smith's ball use was woeful for most of last year.

Hunter was much maligned, and probably the only player we could really afford to lose.

You lost me at Treloar’s a better kick that Dale

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I look forward to your trade scenarios with Smith in the trade thread but in the meantime I am going to enjoy watching him play

You should only speak for yourself, and there's plenty here who have agreed with me that Smiths disposal is sub par. At least I'm using some metrics to back it up instead of just "yeah nah".

At ANY point have I suggested I want to trade him? No, but you're just making s**t up again. He brings MANY things that this team badly needs. I enjoy watching him play too, he just needs to kick it better.

Simple.

We never consistently dominated other midfields anyway. Geelongs midfield always get the best of us with their old men, Melbourne's towelled us up plenty of times. Even Adelaide's midfield got the best of us last year lead by Ben ******* Keays. Having all those "big names" in our midfield never got us far.

We never consistently dominated other midfields anyway. Geelongs midfield always get the best of us with their old men, Melbourne's towelled us up plenty of times. Even Adelaide's midfield got the best of us last year lead by Ben ******* Keays. Having all those "big names" in our midfield never got us far.
Keys is a good player. But your point remains, even with Bont/Libba/Macca and Bailey Smith/Adz/Dunks running through the middle our midfield was dominated by Selwood, Atkins, Guthrie and Danger both times last year. The structure simply wasn’t working.

Taking on the roll of a policeman is fair enough, and up to you obviously.
Not sure though that it’s good form to speak for others. I’ve seen you do this on multiple occasions now.

Dunkley's pressure is massively overated due to him being a complete liability on the outside. He was good defensively inside the phone box, but that's a smaller aspect of defence. The midfield was still the best in the comp last year with the two best midfielders in Bont and Macrae being well below their best. How Bont plays is just as important as how well the other midfielders combined are playing.

Thanks for the rundown Eeyore

I liked Schache, but we couldn't afford to lose him? That's a new one

I agree that it was his forward work that was the best but he thinks he is a full time mid and I don’t think he is irreplaceable with what he brought to our midfield. I reckon we will cover him comfortably
For all his great work, he was a shocking set shot. Remember the game against the Hawks in Tassie. Failed to make the distance from 30 out directly in front. Coach killer stuff.

Herald Sun article

Greater Western Sydney and the Western Bulldogs are not expected to play in scratch matches against rival clubs but will each take part in one official pre-season match leading into the regular season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back