Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m bumping this thread because there’s been a significant amount of commentary around players not turning up to preseason in shape and our inability to get players fit is at the core of our poor performance

Have a read through it

Pre-Christmas and in the 2–3 weeks after returning from the break, most of the commentary was positive

Redden was coming back from post season shoulder surgery, Duggan from late season knee surgery and Jamieson had a knee cleanup in December

A large group of senior players returned to training early

McGovern was in as good as shape as ever, Yeo was training well, Allen was flying, etc etc

Around January 20/21 it became apparent that Darling was to be exiled due to his covid stance

About a week later, Shuey did a calf at the start of a match sim. Then Cripps tore a pec

It then started to emerge that Yeo had backed off training a bit, but there was no need for concern

Then Allen’s foot injury

Then Cole did an ankle just before our first preseason game against Fremantle

Then that game. Ankle for Chesser. Ankle for Sheed. Leg injury for Yeo

Somewhere around all that Clark hurt his shoulder and went in for surgery after having been training well

Then the covid cases started to come before the official preseason game against Fremantle at Optus

By round 1, covid was ripping through a squad that was battling through a significant amount of injuries many of which were impact related.

We never recovered as players were brought back too soon as they were underdone and trying to regain fitness whilst playing matches under prepared

So next time anyone wants to paint a picture of a playing group that turned up to preseason unfit because they were lazy or whatever, have a read through this thread. It wasn’t an issue until late January when it went downhill

Not all of them got Covid and not all of them were injured. But a great majority of them were not fit and in the shape required. Maybe their mums spent the off season with them and made them to many cakes? I don't know why but the reality is that the squad was not prepared for the season ahead.

Disagree

For the record preseason this year begins on December 5. First to fourth year players are required to return 2 weeks earlier on November 21.

Senior players can elect to come back with the 1-4 year players and given they’ve been on a break since late August I would expect that most would be returning early

I’m bumping this thread because there’s been a significant amount of commentary around players not turning up to preseason in shape and our inability to get players fit is at the core of our poor performance

Have a read through it

Pre-Christmas and in the 2–3 weeks after returning from the break, most of the commentary was positive

Redden was coming back from post season shoulder surgery, Duggan from late season knee surgery and Jamieson had a knee cleanup in December

McGovern was in as good as shape as ever, Yeo was training well, Allen was flying, etc etc

Around January 20/21 it became apparent that Darling was to be exiled due to his covid stance

About a week later, Shuey did a calf at the start of a match sim. Then Cripps tore a pec

It then started to emerge that Yeo had backed off training a bit, but there was no need for concern

Then Allen’s foot injury

Somewhere around all that Clark hurt his shoulder and went in for surgery after having been training well

Then the covid cases started to come before the official preseason game against Fremantle at Optus

By round 1, covid was ripping through a squad that was battling through a significant amount of injuries many of which were impact related.

We never recovered as players were brought back too soon as they were underdone and trying to regain fitness whilst playing matches under prepared

So next time anyone wants to paint a picture of a playing group that turned up to preseason unfit because they were lazy or whatever, have a read through this thread. It wasn’t an issue until late January when it went downhill

Pretty much knew the season was over before it started as a competitive side before round 1. Started with Shep's early retirement, followed by Darlings covid no show at training and then the above ridiculous spate of injuries before the first game. There was a slight glimmer of hope when we beat the Pies which was immediately snuffed out by Nic Nats long term injury

Last edited:
For the record preseason this year begins on December 5. First to fourth year players are required to return 2 weeks earlier on November 21.

Senior players can elect to come back with the 1-4 year players and given they’ve been on a break since late August I would expect that most would be returning early
The expectation is that as professional athletes they will present on 5 Dec with a good base level of preparation behind them. If not - don't expect much. I still recall seeing Cuz (and Sellwood) training on Boxing day at McGilveray

I remember Cousins saying he wanted to be in attendance at the Grand Final each year we didn't make it to spur him on to want to be there.

His 05 GF speech after we lost "This isn't the end it's just the beginning" was the start of our 06 Flag

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have a read through it

Then Allen’s foot injury

What I get out of this is I should ignore all the reports this preseason about how well everyone is going because it all falls apart so quickly and easily and the next thing you know you're having a historically bad season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back