Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of teams lose an A grade mid each season. Really s**t news, but resilience is a minimum requirement in this sport. Some other campaigners just need to properly step up and take their game to new levels. Hopefully the club looks to really fast-track the midfield development of some of this new crop.

So far we've discussed the forward line and come up with

FF: Rioli - Kennedy - Ryan
HF: Cripps - Allen - ?

The back line

HB: Duggan - McGovern - Hurn
FB: Witherden - Barrass - Cole

Ruck would have to be

Ruck: Naitanui - Shuey - Yeo

Leaving us with

Centre line of

CC: Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

Still leaves Sam Petrevski-Seton, West, Redden, Rotham, Luke Edwards, Foley, Langdon, O'neill, Petrucelle and Waterman and the lack of a backup ruckman.
That's a deadly looking forward line with Rioli, JK, Ryan, Cripps, Allen + SPS!
(plus Waterman and Petrol). Redden is a quality mid rotation.Then it falls away a bit in Langdon, West, Rotham, Ledwards, Foley, Xon...depending on preseason improvement?

The Shuey thing doesn't bode well..again..we don't know how bad it is, but need to switch on plan B for Shuey - change captaincy (back to Hurn?) and re-position him!
Fast track the next Shuey?

Last edited:
Tell me one kent who has had calf problems previously, then moved on without having them again.

Tear it once, and you're screwed. Particularly if you're over 30.

I'm in the same boat. Legit gone my whole life without injuries, tear my calf a few years ago, and now it happens every few months in the gym or at footy training. Gone full Harley Bennell.

If "lower leg" for Shuey is once again his calf, he's cooked I reckon. This was legit the first contest of match sim as well. Imagine if that happened I round 1.

Hammy problems as well. An explosive player can't suddenly stop being explosive and run around like Priddis.

Connor west should get first crack at shueys position

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I’d be more inclined to give first crack to Petrevski-Seton given he’s cleaner with the ball

Season's nearly 2 months away guys. Shuey will likely be ready for round 1, provided no other injuries of course.

And therein lies the problem.

I am starting to believe that he is cooked, the mind is willing but the body is just no longer up to it.

He seems to be incredibly injury prone and thats a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're any chance this year to field a competitive midfield we're going to need to get creative.

Shuey cannot be relied upon, Yeo too is still up in the air. Without them we're incredibly slow in the midfield.

Hopefully Ryan is healthy and fit because we'll need him and Willie to rotate regularly through the middle. Perhaps Chesser can be a wild card. And SPS who I'm still not sure if quick or not, let's hope he is and he gets in the guts.

For what its worth, we have so many injuries in January that a player (might have been Shuey) actually went on record last week and called January "danger month"

Why would Shuey’s soft tissue problems be any less likely to occur if he was moved away from stoppages

Hard not to conclude his legs are cooked and he’s unlikely to have any meaningful impact no matter where he plays
I think you're more explosive at stoppages than other areas of the ground and it's on repeat. So another area of the ground might take some of that short burst power mixed with agility out of his game and pressure off his legs. But he has now got to a stage where it might be too late for that.

Why would we not put SPS in there . He has played 100 games and has good kicking skills just like shuey.

SPS keeps saying he is an inside mid
Yeah,never really cemented a spot as a mid,I'm all for him playing in the midfield but I'd really like to see what west can do after a full preseason

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tell me one kent who has had calf problems previously, then moved on without having them again.

Tear it once, and you're screwed. Particularly if you're over 30.

I'm in the same boat. Legit gone my whole life without injuries, tear my calf a few years ago, and now it happens every few months in the gym or at footy training. Gone full Harley Bennell.

If "lower leg" for Shuey is once again his calf, he's cooked I reckon. This was legit the first contest of match sim as well. Imagine if that happened I round 1.

Hammy problems as well. An explosive player can't suddenly stop being explosive and run around like Priddis.

Get off the Lemon Lime and Soda UDLS ya flog.

Time for Yeo to take over as captain I reckon. Dude's our alpha dog midfielder, takes no sh*t from anyone and deserves the right to yell at Gov from a position of authority.

Yeo yelling at Gov was actually well out of line. Whilst it didn't look great on field Gov was following the coached gameplan and is the VC of the team. Just goes to show how off the rails our season was and how the players weren't presenting a unified front.

Surely Shuey's time is done? Bloke's lucky if he just finishes a match these days. Cant see him playing more than a dozen regular season games for us this year based on previous injury form.

Yeo yelling at Gov was actually well out of line. Whilst it didn't look great on field Gov was following the coached gameplan and is the VC of the team.

Yeah that's probably fair to Gov. But I dunno, Yeo was one of the few players who looked genuinely pissed off by last year's trash, while most just seemed kind of lazy and resigned to their fate. That's the guy I want in charge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back