Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake is a big lad with a frame that he could even add to. JK playing on hurts his chances this year furthermore. Im wondering if he could be could potentially play as an ubder sized key tall in the Rampe or Jonas mould

Here you go. Get ready for 2022 because we are challenging for the flag.

Then see this photo. Oh wait. WTF. I want a refund on our pre season.
a70d80ccae2577891b3689f6e5d355d3.jpg

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Castor's new slimline training kit.

Don't want to go the early crow but safe to say the boys are:

A) working their backsides off and B) Training the house down.

Jake is a big lad with a frame that he could even add to. JK playing on hurts his chances this year furthermore. Im wondering if he could be could potentially play as an ubder sized key tall in the Rampe or Jonas mould

I wouldn't want to waste someone who's that good a kick on goal in the backline. Seems like a textbook third tall.

When JK retires we should be sorted for the next 3-4 years with talls in the forward line.

Takes us to something like we had in '18 - Darling, Allen, Waterman for Lecras and a resting ruckman. Which is the ideal setup imo.

I wouldn't want to waste someone who's that good a kick on goal in the backline. Seems like a textbook third tall.

When JK retires we should be sorted for the next 3-4 years with talls in the forward line.

Takes us to something like we had in '18 - Darling, Allen, Waterman for Lecras and a resting ruckman. Which is the ideal setup imo.
Thats a very small forwardline. Allen just about squeezes in as a key forward but Darling with age will lose his strengths that made compete against taller players.

Allen is very similar to JK with his ability to sprint to contest to take a mark and use his long arms. He is only a Cm shorter than JK.
Most foward at Allens height aren’t KPF but his leap and reach allow him to play taller. We still need to look at getting a guy close to 200cm in that forward line

Thats a very small forwardline. Allen just about squeezes in as a key forward but Darling with age will lose his strengths that made compete against taller players.

Ya, but is that actually a problem? I tend to think this focus on a giant is a tad faddish.

Look at Melbourne, their forward line wouldn't be that much taller, their best forward being an undersized Fritsch, likewise the Bulldogs.

There will always be a correction and teams that exploit oversized forward lines - look at us in 2021....

Ya, but is that actually a problem? I tend to think this focus on a giant is a tad faddish.

Look at Melbourne, their forward line wouldn't be that much taller, their best forward being an undersized Fritsch, likewise the Bulldogs.

There will always be a correction and teams that exploit oversized forward lines - look at us in 2021....
Melbourne still had mcdonald and brown as well as their resting ruckmen playing forward. I'm not advocating of land of the giants but having Darling Allen and Waterman is too small forward line. As Darling gets older his speed/endurance will wane and that along with his strength has allowed him to compete as an undersize key forward for a decade. In a few years we need a big guy at FF to complement Allen at CHF.

Melbourne still had mcdonald and brown as well as their resting ruckmen playing forward. I'm not advocating of land of the giants but having Darling Allen and Waterman is too small forward line. As Darling gets older his speed/endurance will wane and that along with his strength has allowed him to compete as an undersize key forward for a decade. In a few years we need a big guy at FF to complement Allen at CHF.

I agree with that re Darling's decline as he gets older, but still think Darling, Allen, Waterman, Williams (?) will be a sufficiently tall and good forward line for the next 2-3 years.

Brander would have been perfect age and positionally wise had we got what was promised on the tin when we drafted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing was seeing Wiley, Schofield and Knights there.

Wiley. :whitecheck: :whitecheck: :whitecheck:

He is a massive addition to our coaching ranks, proven history of developing players and a very good skills coach as a bonus.

He is a massive addition to our coaching ranks, proven history of developing players and a very good skills coach as a bonus.
When they announced he was the coach of the WAFL side I was pumped. So much experience and just the kind of person we need in that position.

Yeah there's a good blend there too.

Wiley is a good player developer and instils confidence in players.
Knights has a good rep and can be the 'bad cop' when needed.
Schofield also a good rep and appears to be a level headed/pragmatic coach.

Yeah there's a good blend there too.

Wiley is a good player developer and instils confidence in players.
Knights has a good rep and can be the 'bad cop' when needed.
Schofield also a good rep and appears to be a level headed/pragmatic coach.

Knights was also very attacking in his playstyle as a coach which is something I was very happy about when we brought him on board. Schofield seems to have great tactical knowledge and between the two of them i'm expecting a very refreshed and different look to midfield play.

Wiley is an outstanding pickup. The 200k drop in licencing in the WAFL as well as the coaches we lost has probably allowed these 3 things to happen soft cap wise. I think we've had an outstanding improvement in our coaching and development personnel over the offseason.

I think with Pratt having to spilt his time between the WAFL/ AFLW & line coach at WC no wonder he was burnt out. I rate him as a coach and its good we have got clarity around it all now. We got a dedicated AFLW coach and a dedicated WAFL coach so that won hinder the senior team too much trying to take it all on.

With 3 new coaches in the WAFL/AFL team that is some good fresh ideas to help move forward so fingers crossed a lot of players have a good pre-season and get this rolling asap.

Was excited when we scored Schofield. Unsure on Knights but appears highly rated so appears a good get. Both coaches tasked with overhauling the midfield, so weakness identified and addressed (now for the draft...).

Wiley though. Expectations through the roof. Another weakness (development) clearly identified and addressed :hearteyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back