Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

With the news of Sheps likely retirement and Redden out for a while (may struggle to get back in the squad?) with his shoulder surgery, who is likely to take their spots?

With the news of Sheps likely retirement and Redden out for a while (may struggle to get back in the squad?) with his shoulder surgery, who is likely to take their spots?

Foley for Sheppard and SPS for Redden I'm hoping.

Hopefully Clark can slot straight in to cover for Redden, and we should have cover for Shep with all the HB's we've got on the list

Can see round 1 team looking like:

Witherden Barrass Hurn
Duggan Gov Rotham
Gaff Clark Kelly
Rioli Allen Ryan
Petrucelle JK Darling
Naita Shuey Yeo
Sheed SPS Cripps Chesser/Foley/Cole

No apparent sightings of Shepp, JK, NN or Gov at pre-season sessions so far. Natural given it’s only 1-4 year players that are required.

However, a few senior players (Shuey, TK, Barrass, Sheed & Bunga) have hit the track.

Shepp’s absence is self-evident given reports of concussion issues. NN & JK both had good seasons last year so deserve the break.

Hip surgery or not I’m a touch disappointed (though not surprised) that Gov hasn’t been sighted at least even walking/jogging a few laps in the rehab group. He seriously needs to extract the digit this year given how poor his last two seasons have been relative to how much cap space he’s chewing up.

Hopefully Clark can slot straight in to cover for Redden, and we should have cover for Shep with all the HB's we've got on the list

Can see round 1 team looking like:

Witherden Barrass Hurn
Duggan Gov Rotham
Gaff Clark Kelly
Rioli Allen Ryan
Petrucelle JK Darling
Naita Shuey Yeo
Sheed SPS Cripps Chesser/Foley/Cole

Still not sure of Allen pinch hitting unless we get Gov to cover Nic nat and Allen swings back when Nic Nat rests. But a tasty looking side

No apparent sightings of Shepp, JK, NN or Gov at pre-season sessions so far. Natural given it’s only 1-4 year players that are required.

However, a few senior players (Shuey, TK, Barrass, Sheed & Bunga) have hit the track.

Shepp’s absence is self-evident given reports of concussion issues. NN & JK both had good seasons last year so deserve the break.

Hip surgery or not I’m a touch disappointed (though not surprised) that Gov hasn’t been sighted at least even walking/jogging a few laps in the rehab group. He seriously needs to extract the digit this year given how poor his last two seasons have been relative to how much cap space he’s chewing up.
My mate was doing a business course over the last few days and Gov was the main speaker. Too busy making money to appear at token pre season.

Still not sure of Allen pinch hitting unless we get Gov to cover Nic nat and Allen swings back when Nic Nat rests. But a tasty looking side
Simmo needs to stop using Allen in the ruck ASAP unless it's a complete necessity.
He said that he can't keep using him in the ruck every week after the round 5 game when he scored 5 goals but then continued using him there... :think:

akhtar-th%E1%BA%A5t.gif

Last edited:
My mate was doing a business course over the last few days and Gov was the main speaker. Too busy making money to appear at token pre season.

The house reno he’s spruiking for his builder on Instagram isn’t going to pay for itself. Though I’m sure that advertising has been built in as a contract variation in Gov’s favour no doubt.

NicNat has been up at Christmas Island and the Cocos with Parris Laurie

The house reno he’s spruiking for his builder on Instagram isn’t going to pay for itself. Though I’m sure that advertising has been built in as a contract variation in Gov’s favour no doubt.

Govs an employee of Vicore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Govs an employee of Vicore

Yeah right. Plenty of fingers in plenty of pies. Figuratively and literally in some respects when you think back to his early days at the club.

No qualms with him setting himself up for life after footy. In fact he’s probably going to do really well as his playing contract is life changing enough.

But in terms of setting an example (like Shuey), both to teammates and supporters, he’s coming across as very comfortable on big coin without having to put in the hard yards.

Yeah right. Plenty of fingers in plenty of pies. Figuratively and literally in some respects when you think back to his early days at the club.

No qualms with him setting himself up for life after footy. In fact he’s probably going to do really well as his playing contract is life changing enough.

But in terms of setting an example (like Shuey), both to teammates and supporters, he’s coming across as very comfortable on big coin without having to put in the hard yards.
Absolutely, post hip surgery is no excuse for not putting in the hard 400's. Who carers about long term injury. Medically supervised rehab is for girls.

Anyone else think Ryan is going to go up a level. One of the biggest influences of his career is now at the club in Schofield. Then you already have Kyal Horsley at the club and now Greg Clark both players he played with in those 2 years at Subi that got him his AFL chance. Just really can't help but think that he's really going to benefit from it.

Last edited:
Simmo needs to stop using Allen in the ruck ASAP unless it's a complete necessity.
He said that he can't keep using him in the ruck every week after the round 5 game when he scored 5 goals but then continued using him there... :think:

akhtar-th%E1%BA%A5t.gif
So who plays the 35% game time in the ruck?

Williams makes us too tall, and his output so far is substandard.

My preference is Gov or Edwards (happy to play the extra tall back, rather than forward). But maybe it needs to be shared (rather than always 1 player) so Allen, Gov, maybe Darling all have short stints doing it.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

My preference is Gov or Edwards (happy to play the extra tall back, rather than forward). But maybe it needs to be shared (rather than always 1 player) so Allen, Gov, maybe Darling all have short stints doing it.

Personally i'd play the 3 talls down back. Darling covers the front 60% of around the ground, gov does centre square and while the ball is down back. Edwards plays full back, Barrass CHB and Gov plays third tall.

Bailey Williams will improve in the ruck over the year but the biggest thing he needs to work on is his goal kicking. Outside of ruck training I would have him doing repeat sprints followed by kicking for goal, rinse and repeat. He's not a terrible shot when he's just come on but when he's tired his set shot kicking is really poor.

Personally in regards for set shot goal kicking, particularly in younger players who don't have elite AFL endurance I believe this is the best way to improve their goal kicking. You make it so no matter how tired you are you are following the same routine on instinct.

gov wouldn’t run to catch a bus, so forget him ever being fit enough to play ruck this season. The first quarter blow out against the saints was pretty epic. Shame as that is the position that suits him. I would like to see edwards given ago, as he is probably out of the team if he doesn’t 2nd ruck. But Williams is the best option and after few years on the list needs to pull his finger out, get super fit and make a name for himself. He and NN to rest in the goal square and not venture out much further. They probably land the 3rd defender

gov wouldn’t run to catch a bus, so forget him ever being fit enough to play ruck this season. The first quarter blow out against the saints was pretty epic. Shame as that is the position that suits him. I would like to see edwards given ago, as he is probably out of the team if he doesn’t 2nd ruck. But Williams is the best option and after few years on the list needs to pull his finger out, get super fit and make a name for himself. He and NN to rest in the goal square and not venture out much further. They probably land the 3rd defender

Next year once Kennedy has retired Williams will be in the team. But for this season I believe our best chance of success is having Gov + Darling ruck the extra minutes. Around the ground and holding position Darling is as strong as almost all rucks. Gov's centre square work is the equivalent or better than most teams resting rucks and his ruckwork down back as long as we have 2 Key defenders down there is fine.

It does mean Rotham has to play as a genuine attacking option or he doesn't have a spot in the side this year. He would have to play as a medium defender and prove attacking run and kicking (he has the skillset).

Next year once Kennedy has retired Williams will be in the team. But for this season I believe our best chance of success is having Gov + Darling ruck the extra minutes. Around the ground and holding position Darling is as strong as almost all rucks. Gov's centre square work is the equivalent or better than most teams resting rucks and his ruckwork down back as long as we have 2 Key defenders down there is fine.

It does mean Rotham has to play as a genuine attacking option or he doesn't have a spot in the side this year. He would have to play as a medium defender and prove attacking run and kicking (he has the skillset).

rotham hasn’t proven himself to be a tall defender or capable of lockdown so that works. Not sure if he’s the shep replacement, he should be reinvented as a running defender given his straight line speed

Anyone else think Ryan is going to go up a level. One of the biggest influences of his career is now at the club in Schofield. Then you already have Kyal Horsley at the club and now Greg Clark both players he played with in those 2 years at Subi that got him his AFL chance. Just really can't help but think that he's really going to benefit from it.

Having Willie back will help too I reckon

I hope they are are putting a lot of priority into developing Williams into a primary ruck after NN goes.
We'll be a lot more flexible with selections once we have a ruckman that can ruck most of the game.

I hope they are are putting a lot of priority into developing Williams into a primary ruck after NN goes.
We'll be a lot more flexible with selections once we have a ruckman that can ruck most of the game.

Yeah but that's not what Williams is.

If we want #1 ruck coverage for Nicnat and someone who can ruck solo we need to draft an actual ruckman. Not a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back