Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

West seems to struggle with the decision making when he's caught on the outside. I'd much prefer him inside hunting and distributing to the first option. Take away some of the over thinking and let him play on instinct
I think the over thinking is mainly on this board. West was thrown to the wolves last year with no pre season and very little support due to injuries to experienced guys. He only played a few games and had to play some of those from half forward. Despite that, he had a crack, got a bit of the ball and generally did OK. Sure his disposal was rushed and he got caught a few times but you would expect that from a guy in his situation. The balance and time to interact with team mates should allow him to improve considerably and there is a good chance he can do that. He certainly didn't look out of place at the higher level and should improve if he gets opportunity and gets used to working with team mates. It takes a while for even experienced recruits to become confident and I think he has done well to date.....plus he's obviously put the work in as he looks good as far as fitness goes.

It'll go the other way, where a fistful of jumper will be deemed a tackle and blokes will get pinged whilst they're freely standing unimpeded. Bookmark it.
Just need to get the "handpass" off quickly. Dogs will be right.

passe fc grenoble GIF by FCG Rugby

This is going to be another distaster for the umps. AFL is a joke. Why do they feel the need to change the rules all the time. This isn't a good one either. Will create too much bias. We will get screwed no doubt. Basically will be touch footy for one side and then they will give the other side as much time as they like.

Can already see it breaking a few TVs. Might have to go buy a few back up TVs already for this season.

This is going to be another distaster for the umps. AFL is a joke. Why do they feel the need to change the rules all the time. This isn't a good one either. Will create too much bias. We will get screwed no doubt. Basically will be touch footy for one side and then they will give the other side as much time as they like.

Can already see it breaking a few TVs. Might have to go buy a few back up TVs already for this season.
Whilst I'm not a massive fan of constant rule changes, apparently this one was done with a lot of consultation from all clubs/coaches, so I reckon there's been a fair bit of festering discontent with the way it's been adjudicated and hopefully this makes things a lot more black and white.

I don't see why doing a "360" is a thing....So what if you do a spin with someone holding a bit of your jumper?

Pin the arms and wrap them up properly if you want holding the ball imo.
It was always a measure that the player had reasonable time to dispose of the ball - having not had a precious opportunity. The AFL went soft on it. Looks like they have gone back to the law as written for a change.

With Schofield sorting our tackling pressure this will be in our favour. :)
Nic can nail a few now.

I wish they would focus on illegal disposal(eg throws) before going back over the dead horse that is HTB. They'll be over the top for the first few rounds, then revert to the same old standards.

I'm more interested in the crack down on slowing up play. Will they hammer Richmond for this? They constantly whinge to the ump, point at the mark, or grab the man to slow things up after a free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone? lol
NN now joining Yeo away from the main group, Ryan now switching between groups after just being in injured group

Ball movement is now at breakneck speed at times, clear desire to play on and use corridor.

Tackling pressure was immense.

NN now joining Yeo away from the main group, Ryan now switching between groups after just being in injured group

Ball movement is now at breakneck speed at times, clear desire to play on and use corridor.

-Gee Venables...
-Nelson pale as buggery
-Etc..

You missed your chance champ.

Also Joyce started his train on and Dittmar has completed his. No mention of Strnadica though

I don’t understand why afl just doesn’t make it that if you are caught holding the ball, irrespective whether you had prior opportunity, it’s holding the ball. Players will knock on more and honestly, who cares. Simple to umpire and stops all this nonsense.

Also, play with 17 or 16 players to open up the game. Reality is people don’t care how many players on the ground as long as it’s even. Simple rules, smaller amount of players.

Instead we make complex vague rules, when it’s that simple.

Also add names on the back but this time don’t make it fail by having a small font size. It’s great knowing who these English players are without having to google every 2mins.

I don’t understand why afl just doesn’t make it that if you are caught holding the ball, irrespective whether you had prior opportunity, it’s holding the ball. Players will knock on more and honestly, who cares. Simple to umpire and stops all this nonsense.

Also, play with 17 or 16 players to open up the game. Reality is people don’t care how many players on the ground as long as it’s even. Simple rules, smaller amount of players.

Also add names on the back but this time don’t make it fail by having a small font size. It’s great knowing who these English players are without having to google every 2mins.
Let's keep football football.
Take tackling out, more knock ons, 16 a side.

No! No!
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

If you were penalised for holding the ball, without any prior opportunity, why would you ever pick up the ball in traffic. We would have scenes where both teams are watching the ball roll around, awaiting some sucker to pick it up.

We should abolish the rules committee. Complete waste of space. Creating a rules committee makes them think they need to change something every year and we end up with the most ridiculous rule changes year after year, just to justify the big incomes these campaigners are probably getting.

We are at the stage where we need rules to fix the f'ed up rules from the previous year.

Last edited:
If you were penalised for holding the ball, without any prior opportunity, why would you ever pick up the ball in traffic. We would have scenes where both teams are watching the ball roll around, awaiting some sucker to pick it up.

Honestly players will take the chance. It’s like saying why would you play a cover drive when you could get out. I know, I know but it’s cricket season.

Sport is about taking risks to win and players will.

Honestly players will take the chance. It’s like saying why would you play a cover drive when you could get out. I know, I know but it’s cricket season.

Sport is about taking risks to win and players will.
Yes some will for a little while but for how long will they take the chance? If u make the play and try and pick the ball up and get holding the ball a few times without prior opportunity, you will never do it again. Smart players will just sweat on the inexperienced players who try and pick up the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back