Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish they would focus on illegal disposal(eg throws) before going back over the dead horse that is HTB. They'll be over the top for the first few rounds, then revert to the same old standards.

I'm more interested in the crack down on slowing up play. Will they hammer Richmond for this? They constantly whinge to the ump, point at the mark, or grab the man to slow things up after a free.

Agree - this holding the ball re-interpretation could end up making things even murkier, particularly when it comes to incorrect disposal.

It falls in line with the ongoing drive to keep play moving - which around stoppages will only lead to more incentive to throw the ball under pressure.

One can only hope that the updated interpretation to include "balanced and steady" (whatever that means) when tackled for incorrect disposal is able to keep up and punish the illegal throws and flicks that will no doubt result.

As for slowing up play - goodness knows how an umpire is meant to adjudicate that effectively. We already have the stationary on the mark rule which addressed much of that issue I thought. I suspect the interpretation for "delay" will end up being wildly different depending on where the ball is located on the ground.

Yes some will for a little while but for how long will they take the chance? If u make the play and try and pick the ball up and get holding the ball a few times without prior opportunity, you will never do it again. Smart players will just sweat on the inexperienced players who try and pick up the ball.

Maybe but you can’t win the game by just being second to tackle someone, hoping for a holding the ball. Players will not simply stand aside. Someone is bound to go for it.

In any case, players will get tackled no matter what. So another bounce down or free kick? Not as though much extra happens if we allow for prior opportunity.

Shuey to be pinged 5 times per game for ducking. Selwood 15. Dangerfield to hold up the game at least 5 times per game and not get pinged once. Tackle rules won't affect us as we corral.

Maybe but you can’t win the game by just being second to tackle someone, hoping for a holding the ball. Players will not simply stand aside. Someone is bound to go for it.

In any case, players will get tackled no matter what. So another bounce down or free kick? Not as though much extra happens if we allow for prior opportunity.
I for one love seeing Shuey twist out of a weak tackle for example. If he got pinned at the first touch, it would be a crap game to watch.

Anyone? lol

NEW STYLE​

West Coast have promised they will adjust their game plan this season after being criticised for being too slow and safe with the ball. They were training at breakneck speed at times, with their ball movement totally different to in the past.

NEW FACE​

Former Brisbane Lion Tom Joyce has joined the Eagles with an opportunity to impress during the pre-season. He is among a large group attempting to get recruited before round one.

Ditty Gone
East Perth’s Kade Dittmar’s has completed his trial period with the Eagles.

The club will never admit this. But they had to pull Dittmar out of training because he was putting too many senior players back on their arse with his massive fend offs. This is the real reason that Yeo and Naitanui are back in the rehab group. An injury equal parts shame and Simmo's pride.

The club will never admit this. But they had to pull Dittmar out of training because he was putting too many senior players back on their arse with his massive fend offs. This is the real reason that Yeo and Naitanui are back in the rehab group. An injury equal parts shame and Simmo's pride.
Sittmarse

Where did I say take tackling out?
First paragraph of your post.
Auto free kick if tackled regardless of prior opportunity, and players knock ball on more often instead of taking possession, infers tackling will be largely removed from the game.

I personally love players who take on the tackler. The Judd's, Martin's and Dangerfields of the game who break tackles.

NEW STYLE​

West Coast have promised they will adjust their game plan this season after being criticised for being too slow and safe with the ball. They were training at breakneck speed at times, with their ball movement totally different to in the past.

Interesting. Suggests that the club is either retaining numbers forward and stacking the corridor or completely giving up all defensive accountability.

That said, after 2021 I don't think defensive accountability can get any lower, so I'm viewing this with optimism.

NEW STYLE​

Thanks Simmo for pulling your head out of the sand ,we need to get better in this area ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First paragraph of your post.
Auto free kick if tackled regardless of prior opportunity, and players knock ball on more often instead of taking possession, infers tackling will be largely removed from the game.

I personally love players who take on the tackler. The Judd's, Martin's and Dangerfields of the game who break tackles.

Doesn’t infer anything. I think you are overthinking it and that all players think about is the tackle. No.

Ps. Taking on tackler is considered holding the ball under current rules. And yet players still do it.

There will be less of “if I get the ball, I will get tackled which means another stoppage”. Heavily stoppage focused teams do this. People want more of this?

A touch is not a tackle. Plus as you start twisting and trying to break tackle, you are holding the ball under current rules.
Not really. If you can't break the tacklle and have had prior, then yes HTB, but if you can break it then play on.
In fact of you are caught without prior and surrender without putting up a fight the ump will call HTB for"not making an effort to dispose of the ball". Even if on the ground with both arms pinned and no chance of a correct disposal. The player at least has to wiggle about in a fake attempt to break the tackle or dispose of the footy.

Not really. If you can't break the tacklle and have had prior, then yes HTB, but if you can break it then play on.
In fact of you are caught without prior and surrender without putting up a fight the ump will call HTB for"not making an effort to dispose of the ball". Even if on the ground with both arms pinned and no chance of a correct disposal. The player at least has to wiggle about in a fake attempt to break the tackle or dispose of the footy.

Which seems to be the current interpretation - that they are trying to tighten up.

The rule is written as prior opportunity - but really officiated as in-tackle opportunity. So a player takes 5 steps, gets tackled, does a 360 then gets off a handball to their favorite option (often with enough time for a cup of tea in between).

Pinging players faster (90 degree or maybe 180 at most) when they have had opportunity to dispose of the ball prior to the tackle is a huge plus imo. Reward the tackle - rather than giving the player 2 lots of opportunity.

One of the journos tweeted yesterday that Dittmar’s training block was up but Strnadica was still there and joined by Young and Joyce.

Suggests to me that Strn is basically guaranteed a spot.

I don't see why doing a "360" is a thing....So what if you do a spin with someone holding a bit of your jumper?

Pin the arms and wrap them up properly if you want holding the ball imo.
100%

Have always been puzzled by this one - if the man with the ball can legally handpass then he is simply being held onto rather than being effectively tackled.

I srsly can't stand guys getting pinged with HTB after they legally dispose of the ball.

Last edited:
you wouldn't think you would stop a players training block with the club if they super impressive. Maybe they want to give the other guys equal opportunity, but seems if he was killing it they would keep him on. Right?

More numbers in training cant hurt?

But they might also have work commitments though as he might be missing work for a month as the training is pretty close to 5 days a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back