Game Day Preseason Game 1 - West Coast vs Adelaide, Sat 2/3 : It’s Melt Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise Harley is not just your ordinary first round/No. 1 pick, but it's an indictment on the quality of our list when a first year player is the stand out for effort and talent in the team.

Similar to Hunt last year - he was a bit of an also ran at Melbourne but a stand out in our side.

Obviously it's great to have them, but just makes you realise how far behind the comp we are.

I realise Harley is not just your ordinary first round/No. 1 pick, but it's an indictment on the quality of our list when a first year player is the stand out for effort and talent in the team.

Similar to Hunt last year - he was a bit of an also ran at Melbourne but a stand out in our side.

Obviously it's great to have them, but just makes you realise how far behind the comp we are.
I think I just saw our next captain. We need to focus more on quality than on pick splits.

I think I just saw our next captain. We need to focus more on quality than on pick splits.
I’d been leaning towards splitting the 1R this year but that game just highlights what the absolute top of the draft buys you. FOS or Jagga would be perfect to round out the young future midfield if we ended up with a pick for them. Interestingly I don’t they would be what North needed most if they end up with a high pick… imagine if we could trade and end up with both of them…

Just watching the replay (instant regret) and whoever is responsible (won’t be Simmo as he is our coach for group hugs) for our structuring at stoppages is bloody clueless.

It may have been the players initially, but if the coaches can’t identify an issue and communicate a remedy then what use are they?

Ruckman starting behind, aggressive mid set up when you are 2 nil, 5 nil, 10 nil down in centre clearances alone, Fwds starting behind (can’t just say OA’s not there so oh well), allowing the Crows to pull Barrass up and out of the defensive 50 and then effortlessly leaving him floundering where he can’t impact in front of goal where he’s at his best, slow sideways movement out of the backline etc etc.

Seem to recall we spent the whole preseason training to adopt a more direct through the corridor ball movement, but come an actual game, it’s would be giving a deer in the spotlight a bad name to say that’s an apt comparison.

So many similarities to the Demons at their lowest point, when the players were just going through the motions (ie Kelly).

Just can’t see Simmo lasting the season, it’s joyless.

Solutions?

Maybe a Ross Lyon ultra defensive approach (it’s not like we are losing in a shoot out anyway), McGovern fwd (at least everyone inc Gov, will have some fun seeing him fly and takes pressure off OA), MSD maybe the best VFL mid available, finish last again and hope the AFL intervenes as we simply will not be able to engineer enough draft picks to turn this around (i.e. Roos with McKay and you just know how the Zurhar free agency will play out).

Solution.

Find a ruck who can stay on the park and provide some resembelence to a structured stoppage.

Hopefully we get J Jones in the backline instead of Cole and L Edwards bringing it out.

But yes, forwards playing in front would be nice, its where the ball more likely to go with a developing midfield and kicking under pressure. Chances are it falls short.

We were burnt on Gaff's wing again. Its like a free hit running the ball out of defense for the opposition, switch to the space on Gaff's wing and Rankin and others are just too quick.

I’d been leaning towards splitting the 1R this year but that game just highlights what the absolute top of the draft buys you. FOS or Jagga would be perfect to round out the young future midfield if we ended up with a pick for them. Interestingly I don’t they would be what North needed most if they end up with a high pick… imagine if we could trade and end up with both of them…

We will split our first pick again at some point IMO. When the right offer comes. Unless we get some form of assistance in PP's to trade for players.

Id retain this drafts pick and look at splitting 2025's. Use one to trade and the other 1st rounder at the 2025 draft.

We will split our first pick again at some point IMO. When the right offer comes. Unless we get some form of assistance in PP's to trade for players.

Id retain this drafts pick and look at splitting 2025's. Use one to trade and the other 1st rounder at the 2025 draft.
Agreed, still think we’ll get the same 2022 NM assistance though. I’d also look at trading our F1/F2 (2026 picks) next year.

Saw some signs yesterday (although only fleeting) of winning the ball in the middle, until we can get at least 50/50 out of the middle we are going nowhere. The other issue is at the contested marking, our ground ballers don't position well enough to win the spills which is a training and gameplan issue we could rectify pretty easily. I cannot understand why we don't win the ball, we are forever chasing an opponent who either won a contest or a ruck knock.
Pretty sure the Eagles won the centre clearance count even with a witches hat for a ruck.

Agreed, still think we’ll get the same 2022 NM assistance though. I’d also look at trading our F1/F2 (2026 picks) next year.
If we get an additional second and third rounder, then there’s no need to split our first. Get the elite level talent and fill out the gaps with these extra second and third round picks or use them to trade in talent. Agree that trading a future first could also be considered or just split the following year.

After watching bits and pieces again this morning, it is alarming how often we kick the ball to a large contest rather than lowering our eyes and hitting a forward leading up at the foot.

It makes us really easy to defend.

This is relevant from both half back moving the ball forward and when we are entering inside 50.

Would much rather us kick short and use overlap run than kcik long down the line and hope someone can take a contested mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching bits and pieces again this morning, it is alarming how often we kick the ball to a large contest rather than lowering our eyes and hitting a forward leading up at the foot.

This is relevant from both half back moving the ball forward and when we are entering inside 50.

Would much rather us kick short and use overlap run than kcik long down the line and hope someone can take a contested mark.

The entering 50 thing in particular really stood out to me too. One thing Collingwood do really well is have a lot of players comfortable 60m out finding a way to take a running shot at goal themselves, either by running around using the stand rule or bombing long DeGoey style.

It's an option that's almost more dangerous as a threat than in practice, since teams have to defend higher and stress out around the 60/70m arc, which coupled with how hard all their forwards lead to different spots means there's always space. They also trust their forwards to nail tricky set shots 45m out on an angle so the forwards are confident leading there knowing teammates are willing to honour them - doesn't always work out but it's a brand that gives their forwards confidence.

Oppo defences just know they can flood our 50, we always have such an obvious tall target 20m out and our smalls are caught providing middling support rather than threatening themselves. Want to see players like Hunt, Jones, Reid, Hewitt, Yeo given lots of licence to go it themselves when anywhere near range, and the Marics and Longs licence to generate set shots even in low percentage areas. Going to look silly sometimes but would open things up so much more and make us way less predictable - Allen might actually get some 1-1s that way.

The bomb it long, kick it and hope method, just results in so many turnovers and comes straight back. They were supposed to have been transitioning away from this old hooplah, with run+carry, dash+dare. The oppo just man up and choke their inroads.

Maybe it's easy to practice run+gun in training against a pretend oppo, but the reality is very different. Can only hope they learn quickly from the oppo set ups and from each game..

We should have a reasonably fit and strong team for round 1, almost our best 22? If there are no great signs of improvement from the scratchies, or no obvious improvement in game plan and ball movement..well, it's going to be another long season.

I think our defence needs another intercept marking gun or two. I miss Hurn with his reading the play and intercepting helping out the likes of Gov and Barrass.

Gov can still do it but Barrass can't as he is lock down on the key forward and seems not as quick as he used to be to help out with loose intercepting. If we go back in our premiership year we had a backline of Sheppard Hurn Schofield on the back flanks who were all great at intercepting with Gov and Barrass as keys and Jetta the quick run out rebound
Now we have no one on the flanks that can intercept in a marking contest.

Gov still is out main intercept defender with Barrass one on one lock down.
Our back flanks are now Witherden, Duggan and Hunt, Cole and Hough who is coming into the role but wouldn't say he is ready for intercepting yet. It's pretty grim. Hunts in the Jetta role. Witho Duggan Cole are killing us with lack of ability to take a good contested mark or fill the defensive gaps. This is why it's so easy for sides to beat our defenders and make it look easy.
We need to find some quality back flankers with the ability to intercept and read the play.

Let face it this season we are screwed in that regard. Who has the ability to be our Hurn and Sheppard down back. Yeo possibly with Rotham maybe.
For Rotham faults at least he can jump at a marking contest. Where's Bazzo at. We need to keep experimenting with the back flanks until we find someone that can do the role.

Witho Duggan and Cole can't be down back. Another Gaff situation brewing in defence with credits overtaking what needs to be done. Two of this lot needs to go spend some time in the WAFL or play in another position.

Last edited:
I thought Barnett halved a few contests that BW wouldn’t have.I’d give him another run.
Geez we looked better whenever Harley was around.Cripps,Cole etc didn’t you guys think to look around you when your looking at goal?? Harley cruises around 15-20m away unattended and he can thump a ball.
Is the problem that forwards don’t play in front or is it the kicker just bombing to where they can see a blue/ gold jumper.
I think forwards need to lead sideways more and take away the ruckman who drops back to double team.
Gaff was ok but him or Sheed in the middle is a recipe for disaster. Defenders mark at halfback and look up and there is nobody busting a gut to give a short lead in the middle of the ground.
Duggan needs to attack the contest harder. He seems to be stuck in the days of corralling .
The Eagles players need to take a leaf out of Harleys level of commitment , he doesn’t just run hard when he has the ball; he chases like he really wants to catch and hurt somebody. He’s already starting to set the gold standard.Keep up or get out.
Split Harleys pick?.I laugh at you.hahaha! Fools!

I think our defence needs another intercept marking gun or two. I miss Hurn with his reading the play and intercepting helping out the likes of Gov and Barrass.

Gov can still do it but Barrass can't as he is lock down on the key forward and seems not as quick as he used to be to help out with loose intercepting. If we go back in our premiership year we had a backline of Sheppard Hurn Schofield on the back flanks who were all great at intercepting with Gov and Barrass as keys and Jetta the quick run out rebound

Our back flanks are now Witherden, Duggan and Hunt, Cole and Hough who is coming into the role but wouldn't say he is ready for intercepting yet. It's pretty grim. Hunts in the Jetta role. Witho Duggan Cole are killing us with lack of ability to take a good contested mark or fill the defensive gaps. This is why it's so easy for sides to beat our defenders and make it look easy.
We need to find some quality back flankers with the ability to intercept and read the play.

Let face it this season we are screwed in that regard. Who has the ability to be our Hurn and Sheppard down back. Yeo possibly with Rotham maybe.
For Rotham faults at least he can jump at a marking contest. Where's Bazzo at. We need to keep experimenting with the back flanks until we find someone that can do the role.

Witho Duggan and Cole can't be down back. Another Gaff situation brewing in defence with credits overtaking what needs to be done. Two of this lot needs to go spend some time in the WAFL or play in another position.
Duggan and Cole played in our premiership. Schofield only came in to replace Shep.

I hope Bazzo can be the 3rd tall this year and play plenty of AFL, he was meant to be a bit of an interceptor type KPD, take out Witho or Cole so Hough can do their role instead of trying to be a 3rd tall. If we dont try to sit Bazzo on guys like Tex or Hawkins he should be ok. Id rather persist with Bazzo than Rotham.

I wonder if Witho could be transformed into a winger to get him out of the backline? I dont know what else Cole could do, his disposal is just not good enough

Lets just pray that the kick it long BS with no run and carry was done on purpose 'keeping our powder dry'. And come round 1 we do kower our eyes and kick shorter and we do start running and handballing more.

We just kicked long and dumb far too often. Harley doesnt look like a dumb footballer thankfully, and is happy to run at opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back