Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading in JOM may have been a mistake. His impact has not been what we would have hoped for and , being automatically included each week, is now standing the way of Erasmus and Johnson, not to mention Brodie.

In 2022 we had a midfield that was humming along - Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie assisted by Acres and Aish. Now things are not quite right it seems. AB is down, JOM cant get it, Brodie is out of favour, Aish is down back and who the hell knows where Fyfe will be this year.
Even in 2022 we struggled in the wet and with the Pies.
The writing was on the wall then.
Game has gone up a notch now with
more teams contending.
Carr leaving a coincidence?

What concerns me with Johnson was how often he fumbled. Was giving me Blakely vibes.
Contrast that with Simpsons one touch pickups.
Admittedly Johnson has shown signs of real class in traffic and he was up against a serious midfield unit.

Great to see Fyfe bossing it when Darcy was on. He’s still got it.

I would be bringing Brodie in for O’Meara. Offers so much more at the coalface and around stoppages.

Simpson gets the start round 1 as a forward or even on a wing.

Erasmus should be in as a forward too. We’ve got to stop pigeon holing players on positions and play the ones who are going to give a contest every time.

It’s Fyfe, Young, Serong, Brodie, Johnson in the mids. Brayshaw maybe wing/mid.
Amiss, Jackson, Treacy/Voss, Switta, Freddy, Walters, Simpson as the forwards with Ras off the bench between forward & midfield.

Have to disagree. That kick by Brayshaw caught the port defenders napping and might have resulted in a goal - if Sturt had some awareness.
Yeah, another example would of the midfield looking worse because the forward line was barely WAFL grade

Yeah, another example would of the midfield looking worse because the forward line was barely WAFL grade
Guess we'll know for sure in 2 weeks time when the MC (hopefully) select the appropriate players for the forward line.

I said it a lot last year, but I reckon we lost most games on Thursday night when team selection came out.

Have to disagree. That kick by Brayshaw caught the port defenders napping and might have resulted in a goal - if Sturt had some awareness.
Sturt was on the ground outside 50 having tackled some bloke wasn't he? I don't know who Andy thought he was kicking to but it definitely wasn't Sturt.

No idea what you're talking about

Sturt laid the tackle and got a port player holding the ball, Both Sturt and the port player were on the ground

Brayshaw then picked up the ball and booted it forward, it bounced and a port player picked it up and ran off

How the hell could Sturt do anything else there? Brayshaw should have held the ball and Sturt would have had a kick 55 out to try lace out a target (one of his strengths)

EDIT: 4 mins left in the second, everything I've said is correct except the ball actually just goes to space and Esava gets a free kick, braindead decision by Brayshaw, nothing Sturt could do there, commentators go on about it for a minute after too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2022 we had a midfield that was humming along - Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie assisted by Acres and Aish. Now things are not quite right it seems. AB is down, JOM cant get it, Brodie is out of favour, Aish is down back and who the hell knows where Fyfe will be this year.
Mate we won clearances so Brodie wouldn't have made a difference yesterday. The loss comes down to all the b22 players we were missing and terrible ball movement.

Mate we won clearances so Brodie wouldn't have made a difference yesterday. The loss comes down to all the b22 players we were missing and terrible ball movement.

We got absolutely smashed outside of stoppage. Like every time there was a loose ball or groundball contest Port would win it. That was the worst part for me. The good news is that is usually to do with intensity which is something we have control over.

You half expect to have trouble moving the ball with no decent targets ahead of the ball, but there's no excuse (other than it was a practice game) for being meek attacking the ball.

We got absolutely smashed outside of stoppage. Like every time there was a loose ball or groundball contest Port would win it. That was the worst part for me. The good news is that is usually to do with intensity which is something we have control over.

You half expect to have trouble moving the ball with no decent targets ahead of the ball, but there's no excuse (other than it was a practice game) for being meek attacking the ball.
Pretty sure we traded him to the Hawks.

No idea what you're talking about

Sturt laid the tackle and got a port player holding the ball, Both Sturt and the port player were on the ground

Brayshaw then picked up the ball and booted it forward, it bounced and a port player picked it up and ran off

How the hell could Sturt do anything else there? Brayshaw should have held the ball and Sturt would have had a kick 55 out to try lace out a target (one of his strengths)

EDIT: 4 mins left in the second, everything I've said is correct except the ball actually just goes to space and Esava gets a free kick, braindead decision by Brayshaw, nothing Sturt could do there, commentators go on about it for a minute after too
With the breeze behind him Sturt may have actually kicked it from 55 and got some confidence back. It was one of the many bad decisions AB made.

We were clearly less intense than Port. Hope that's a pre-season thing and the finger us pulled out in Round 1.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were clearly less intense than Port. Hope that's a pre-season thing and the finger us pulled out in Round 1.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think (hope) that's what JL was getting at re the wakeup call. Wondering if the boys have been feeling good about their tough preseason and forgot you have to bring it every game if you want to win anything.

Serong is so clean could be Lachie Neale good. Missed Amiss yesterday and Jackson they are a tier up from Treacy and Tab.
Omera was a jet but looks a step behind, Id play erasmus driscoll on wings before him and Brodie in the middle.

I totally agree with this comment. Every time the ball was kicked down the line (which happened way too often) the loose ball from the marking contest seemed to go straight to a Port player. They were clearly setting up much better than we were, we just looked disorganised

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back