Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Just under 200 games at local level..you?

Treacy is a bash crash undersized ruck and Sturt is soft and s**t. End convo.
over 400 So you can plaster your opinion all over here & the minute you get challenged you want to shut the convo down.

Any forward line is a sum of its parts. We were missing 3 or 4 of our first choice forward line. If Jackson and Amiss were playing it would have forced Ratugolea and Allir to be more accountable. I have never really rated Tabs but I do rate Treacy, and I think would have been much better if he was the third banana. The delivery was terrible too (nothing new there) it’s pretty hard to look like a good forward line when the ball isn’t getting kicked to your advantage. I turned the game off at 3/4 time cos I was getting grumpy but I’m not putting too much stock into a pre-season game. Like I said before North beat Collingwood last week… I still think we’re on the right track development wise, and this year we probs won’t be top 4 material but I do think we’ll see an improvement on last year.
2025 hopefully we find ourselves a top quality small forward and this is when the list will go bang IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So if Jackson and Amiss can't play in the forwardline line for whatever reason, we are totally stuffed because our second tier can't perform in our system. When we lost those two players we should have used the lead into space on occasion to suit the type of forwardline we had but we didn't. We used the same dump kick into congestion which Treacy, Voss, Sturt and Walters not as well equipped to handle it as Jackson and Amiss with Treacy as third wheel maybe would have been. We didn't appear to have the ability to adapt to the forwardline we had in front of us and there is a chance we will be forced to face that at some point in the season.

If Emmett has already gone past Sturt, then we still only really need 1 first choice small to replace Walters.

Emmett, Freddy, Switta (whether you like it or not), Walters (replacement).

Also expecting Simpson to rotate as a forward for at least his first 3-4 seasons.
Sturt is better than that, we have already seen that. He's problem is that if he keeps playing like this early in the season because he always misses a preseason because of injury, he risks being sidelined....Permanently. For he's sake I hope he get his skates on and demands selection early in the season.

The issue wasnt the forward line, though it certainly compounded the problem.

Our ability to defend a switch of play was horrendous. That’s a system issue not personnel. You can forgive the forward forays that resulted in opposition mark, it was Port switching to the fat side, cutting through our defense and scoring easily that was bothersome.

So if Jackson and Amiss can't play in the forwardline line for whatever reason, we are totally stuffed because our second tier can't perform in our system. When we lost those two players we should have used the lead into space on occasion to suit the type of forwardline we had but we didn't. We used the same dump kick into congestion which Treacy, Voss, Sturt and Walters not as well equipped to handle it as Jackson and Amiss with Treacy as third wheel maybe would have been. We didn't appear to have the ability to adapt to the forwardline we had in front of us and there is a chance we will be forced to face that at some point in the season.

Tabs has never lead to space. Treacy is still a kid. Rutogulea and Aliir are big units and they should have dominated our forward line, which they did. Sturt isn’t a contested marking forward and Voss is depth at best there’s a reason he toiled away in the VFL last year. I did also say that the delivery was terrible as per usual, I believe that will improve once we have our two main key forwards back in the lineup forcing the defender to be more accountable. I get really frustrated with dump kicks to Walters, he’s bloody good which is why he draws the footy but it’s the wrong option.

We can go on about how all our forwards were missing but it looked like none of the forwards chosen lead into space at all. They were just standing behind their opponent waving for the one out the back. Most of our entries against WC were just lobbed into a pack as well. If on the rare occasion we did lead against Port we kicked it over our heads.
This is a directive from the coaching staff, I brought it up in the preseason thread during the intraclubs, players are told by others hold back over and over again

I'm not sure why but its definitely something I noticed when watching training

Sturt is better than that, we have already seen that. He's problem is that if he keeps playing like this early in the season because he always misses a preseason because of injury, he risks being sidelined....Permanently. For he's sake I hope he get his skates on and demands selection early in the season.
Agree, I was just making the point that we really only need 1 quality small forward because that's all we have room for. Obviously we'd take more but we don't need.

I still think Sturt is a chance to come on.

This is a directive from the coaching staff, I brought it up in the preseason thread during the intraclubs, players are told by others hold back over and over again

I'm not sure why but its definitely something I noticed when watching training
Wtf is that to have numbers to lock it in if the ball hits the deck in a contest? Why wouldn’t they spread to give options and create space for a potential front and center scenario if it does hit the deck.

Agree, I was just making the point that we really only need 1 quality small forward because that's all we have room for. Obviously we'd take more but we don't need.

Awesome kick for goal. Problem is he’s soft, hates contact and noticed he prefers the chest mark in a overhead marking opportunity.

Wtf is that to have numbers to lock it in if the ball hits the deck in a contest? Why wouldn’t they spread to give options and create space for a potential front and center scenario if it does hit the deck.
My theory is to try use the wingers for short passes and then kick it longer, we did seem to do that alot in the intras, or try switch and piece it down the line like that, either that or try run it forward more (this wasn't really a popular option in the intras tho)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things I want to see in round 1.
  • decent forwards. Come On down Jacko, Amiss, Freddy and Emmett.
  • speed from the backline. Come on down Walker and Wagner.
  • Ryan never bombing the ball on kick outs
  • a step up ⬆️ In intensity from all.
  • more aggressive style of play and use of corridor
  • Cooper Simpson getting a gig.

If Emmett has already gone past Sturt, then we still only really need 1 first choice small to replace Walters.

Emmett, Freddy, Switta (whether you like it or not), Walters (replacement).

Also expecting Simpson to rotate as a forward for at least his first 3-4 seasons.
Yeah I think you are right. While none of those players you mentioned have class or are game winners, you don't need to have 6 A graders in your forwardline to win a premiership. If we can land Macca, we would have three elite talls (Amiss, Jackson, Mcdonald). Getting an elite small forward would be the final touch.

Things I want to see in round 1.
  • decent forwards. Come On down Jacko, Amiss, Freddy and Emmett.
  • speed from the backline. Come on down Walker and Wagner.
  • Ryan never bombing the ball on kick outs
  • a step up ️ In intensity from all.
  • more aggressive style of play and use of corridor
  • Cooper Simpson getting a gig.

Can we stop mentioning kick outs like the same problems don’t exist at other times for Ryan.

Pretty much every time he marks the ball he’s talking his full allotment of time and bombs it down the line.

I think he’s otherwise a good footballer tbh so it’s difficult to know what to do with him - just hope JL and others are trying to fix this issue, otherwise he’s going to continue be a liability every time he has ball in his hands.

Can we stop mentioning kick outs like the same problems don’t exist at other times for Ryan.

Pretty much every time he marks the ball he’s talking his full allotment of time and bombs it down the line.

I think he’s otherwise a good footballer tbh so it’s difficult to know what to do with him - just hope JL and others are trying to fix this issue, otherwise he’s going to continue be a liability every time he has ball in his hands.
I actually thought that Clark took lots of kick outs in our 2 practice games. And he went long to a contest, which against Port we usually lost. The big change up was that he normally went to the left, whereas Ryan normally goes to the right.

I actually thought that Clark took lots of kick outs in our 2 practice games. And he went long to a contest, which against Port we usually lost. The big change up was that he normally went to the left, whereas Ryan normally goes to the right.

It’s not just a Luke Ryan problem.

He’s the worst but I’ve seen Clark and Aish do the same thing. These three are supposed to be our main three rebounders…

All are naturally good enough kicks to hit the slightly more risky option enough of the time that I’d be happy enough to cop the odd mistake.

It’s not just a Luke Ryan problem.

He’s the worst but I’ve seen Clark and Aish do the same thing. These three are supposed to be our main three rebounders…

All are naturally good enough kicks to hit the slightly more risky option enough of the time that I’d be happy enough to cop the odd mistake.
I totally agree. I just think it is a stupid coaching directive, not an individual player decision.

I’ve been a huge Sturt fan as he was a first round pick and physically he is a carbon copy of Fritsch, 190cm and quick. My faith was spurred on by some early good signs but I must admit I couldn’t have been more disappointed with that game on Friday night. He spent 87% time on ground but his confidence seemed so low he looked scared - tried to take chest marks when he should have taken it in the hands, didn’t attack the ball, just seemed lost. He needs to absolutely dominate at Peel to come back from that, but I fear we wont see him at AFL level again

I’ve been a huge Sturt fan as he was a first round pick and physically he is a carbon copy of Fritsch, 190cm and quick. My faith was spurred on by some early good signs but I must admit I couldn’t have been more disappointed with that game on Friday night. He spent 87% time on ground but his confidence seemed so low he looked scared - tried to take chest marks when he should have taken it in the hands, didn’t attack the ball, just seemed lost. He needs to absolutely dominate at Peel to come back from that, but I fear we wont see him at AFL level again

I posted after the last intra club he went to the south side of the oval after the game was ended went up to trainer and just sat next to the trainer. The trainer enthusiastically said “here he is the main man” or something a little tongue and cheek…Sturt just looked upset, Mumbled something to him and just looked basically depressed.

Seemed like a broken man if I’m being honest. He might be playing through injury, he was a non entity that game too so down on himself?

Whatever the case he seems reluctant to take an overhead mark/use the 🙌. He doesn’t hit the contest hard, no tackling pressure and reluctant to at least halve the contest. He is 190cm and his 6th season in the AFL system..not a youngster anymore.

I totally agree. I just think it is a stupid coaching directive, not an individual player decision.

I’m trying to stay positive but if I was to be honest/realistic I think JL will probably be sacked 2/3 of the way through the season and in 2025 we have a MASSIVE bounce up the ladder.

I don’t think the players we have aren’t capable of correcting our rebound 50 issues but it doesn’t even seem to be identified as an issue. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it corrected as soon as the game after JL is sacked tbh. It’s so painfully obvious and would improve us massively if we can cop it not working perfectly right from the start.

I’m trying to stay positive but if I was to be honest/realistic I think JL will probably be sacked 2/3 of the way through the season and in 2025 we have a MASSIVE bounce up the ladder.

I don’t think the players we have aren’t capable of correcting our rebound 50 issues but it doesn’t even seem to be identified as an issue. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it corrected as soon as the game after JL is sacked tbh. It’s so painfully obvious and would improve us massively if we can cop it not working perfectly right from the start.
You may be correct but it doesn't explain why we got Wagner then and why chapman and Walker used to break the lines so much when they were playing. The players said it is themselves that don't have the courage to do it. Maybe that is just the way it. Clark said in an interview recently that that is his role, yet against Port he again didn't do it. Infact there were times he could have played on and didn't or could have run past for the handball and instead chose to offer a small lead. It is instinctive and natural for Wagner to do it. It doesn't seem to be for Clark,or Ryan for whatever reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back