Banter Preseason general discussion - The Reigning Premiers Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

"Surprised to hear 'a lot of players are completing Next Coach Programs and getting experience in that field as well' says Graham." - Yes, that interested me too. Anyone have ideas on who they might be?
He didn't say. Article is on WCE site. But he said 'a lot of players' which surprised me, not just several players? Would give the team a bit of insight you'd think..wonder if same for other teams?

Astro, there are a lot of Bi-supporters in WA and that is a species i have a particular loathing for. I dont want to be considered in that camp if youll excuse the pun.
No probs! enjoyed your loose double entendres...but I get your drift.
Didn't know there was such a breed? Can't imagine being a bi-supporter, a State vs.Vic thing I guess.

No probs! enjoyed your loose double entendres...but I get your drift.
Didn't know there was such a breed? Can't imagine being a bi-supporter, a State vs.Vic thing I guess.

It's 2019. People shouldn't be afraid to support sport however they want. I'm secure enough in my Eagles support to occasionally admire other teams :D

I was more thinking scrape in if everything goes right. Interstate clubs have a more significant home ground advantage during the season and that can help with the scraping in.

As for the experienced core, Freo have one of those. Fyfe, Sandilands, Mundy, Hill x 2, Walters, Wilson, Hamling. A few kids come on faster than expected, game plan clicks second half of the year, Melbourne do a massive choke and bam....8th spot.

If you rank Freo's experienced core group you will find it lacks the depth and durability.

Fyfe and Walters. Injuries have held them back the past two years.

Mundy and Sandilands almost done.

S Hill, lost a yard and struggling with soft tissue injuries. Add Bennell to that list.

Ballantyne likewise.

Hamling and Pearce are very good so they do have two quality tall backs.

Who have I missed?

Wilson and B Hill.

It isnt a deep core of fit experienced players.

If you rank Freo's experienced core group you will find it lacks the depth and durability.

Fyfe and Walters. Injuries have held them back the past two years.

Mundy and Sandilands almost done.

S Hill, lost a yard and struggling with soft tissue injuries. Add Bennell to that list.

Ballantyne likewise.

Hamling and Pearce are very good so they do have two quality tall backs.

Who have I missed?

Wilson and B Hill.

It isnt a deep core of fit experienced players.

Everything going right means no/very few injuries. It's not out of the realm of possibility for players who look cooked to suddenly have a niggle free year and return to close to their best (see Mark Lecras). I deliberately didn't include Bennell and Ballantyne, though both could contribute.

It's 2019. People shouldn't be afraid to support sport however they want. I'm secure enough in my Eagles support to occasionally admire other teams :D
no criticism here, peeps free to do what they wish.
guess I'm not a swinger like that, more the monogamous type? :rolleyes:

Also in reference to the Freo talk, what's this Colyer like in the midfield..is he a Lachie Neale?

Not sure why so many seem to be optimistic concerning the future of Fremantle.
As far as I see it they have a myriad of factors against them, starting with their coach.

As posted elsewhere previously: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...s-valente-thread.1209326/page-5#post-59019757
Whoa...

I usually ignore this kind of stuff but this is beyond even trolling.

If you were describing Brisbane I would tend to agree with you; however you said Fremantle for reasons that are fairly absurd.

Hamling is by far your best key defender yet you don't even mention him. A.Pearce by my own rankings is 70th in the league among tall defenders and you are placing him above J.McGovern.

Your club has sold it's future to load up on forwards whilst gutting the midfield and neglecting a poor backline.

The list has a gaping hole in the 21-22 year age bracket. Even if the young talent in your squad develops as hoped, it is likely (especially being a WA club where travel fatigue prematurely curtails careers) that anyone aged 26 or above on your list in 2019 will have retired before the new generation peak.

That would include:
  • Fyfe
  • Mundy
  • S.Hill
  • B.Hill
  • Walters
  • Colyer
  • Matera
  • Conca
  • Bennell
  • Wilson
  • Lobb
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Taberner
The recruitment policy is inherently bipolar - trying to top up whilst conducting a complete rebuild.

If you exclude those who are 28 or older next season, the Fremantle midfield is comparable to Gold Coast's - with a much lower ceiling.

Lyon is now doing what Lyon does - he's selling your future to keep his job. It will get ugly; and that will pale in comparison to how ugly things will get after he leaves and you discover that your list has been completely hollowed out and you need another decade-long rebuild to repair the damage. Just ask the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just linking the Training updates & pressers the club uploaded to YouTube and the club website/app this week in case anyone missed them. The media team have been good with their updates this pre-season.

Monday 7/1

Wednesday 9/1

Anyone who thinks Hurn is a s**t captain and Barrass is not a sexy beast can GAGF

Brander as a KPD annoys the s**t out of me.

Bailey is surely the new forward saviour. God I hope he has a big year. Gonna struggle against men in a s**t team though.
I think Brander can succeed wherever he plays. Will start his career as a defender but will no doubt head forward later on.

Brander was going to be the number 1 pick as a a forward, then he went to defence in his draft year and slid all the way to us.

O. Allen should play higher up the ground at HF, M. Allen should be a mid, Williams should play significant ruck minutes so I think Brander should be developed as a Kennedy replacement instead of a defender.

I wouldnt put kennedy or Hurn or Barass in the elite bracket.To me elite means that the player can do the out of the ordinary.Dont get me wrong;they are great players but none of them have "footy magic". Yo and Ryan ARE elite.I suppose it comes down to how we define "elite".If it means good solid consistent footy then yes;but if it means doing things that normal people cant do;then no!!

Brander was going to be the number 1 pick as a a forward, then he went to defence in his draft year and slid all the way to us.

O. Allen should play higher up the ground at HF, M. Allen should be a mid, Williams should play significant ruck minutes so I think Brander should be developed as a Kennedy replacement instead of a defender.
SQ,i think brander is too small to replace JK.I think Williams looks more the JK replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back