Banter Preseason general discussion - The Reigning Premiers Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

campaigner was deleting posts at the start now he's just given up 😂😂😂.
Onya Keyza 👍
Wasn’t deleting

Just moving

Like this one

With an occasional edit like the one above your post🙃

I have always had plenty of time for Nelson. I thought he started 2017 very well - was probably shading Duggan at the time (who was coming off the second year blues after a great debut year). Nelson then unfortunately got injured after a great game against the Hawks (we lost) and Duggan has since easily surpassed him.

As for his chances in our backline, we are so settled and strong back there that I don't see him as anything other than depth. So I'm not surprised that they are looking at him as a mids option. Though tbh he'll probably just end up being depth there, too. And I'm not convinced he has the tank anyway.

So I guess he is a depth utility. That is his life now.

I have always had plenty of time for Nelson. I thought he started 2017 very well - was probably shading Duggan at the time (who was coming off the second year blues after a great debut year). Nelson then unfortunately got injured after a great game against the Hawks (we lost) and Duggan has since easily surpassed him.

As for his chances in our backline, we are so settled and strong back there that I don't see him as anything other than depth. So I'm not surprised that they are looking at him as a mids option. Though tbh he'll probably just end up being depth there, too. And I'm not convinced he has the tank anyway.

So I guess he is a depth utility. That is his life now.
Not many players have his ability on both feet.Hes got size and aggression and might i add; a nice bit of candy.As a regular mid the only player ;barring injuries; he could replace would be Sheed.Sheed had an interesting '18. In spite of being a beautiful field kick his disposal left something to be desired,yet come finals time he didnt need to pinpoint pass.It was get the footy and get it forward as quick as possible.His weakness became his strength.Last year i was asking why Watson,Petrol and Nelson weren't getting a game;now i'd be looking at Allen,Mallen,Brander, Petrol and possibly Brayshaw. Maybe Watson and Nelson are falling back as our depth increases.Keep in mind nobody is even mentioning out last batch of recruits which is incredible considering how many debuted last year and were such a big part of our success.

As long as he’s not doing anything illegal or getting into fights than what he does on a night out is his own business.

Hopefully he didn't get caught with his pants down in a kebab shop then assaulting somebody or we'd have to elevate him to our leadership group.

As long as he’s not doing anything illegal or getting into fights than what he does on a night out is his own business.

I was not suggesting otherwise. Have you ever been clubbing til 4am in a white shirt and come home clean? It's not possible unless you're the DJ or you keep your s**t in check.

So has Ryan been spotted doing anything at training? With his patchy offseason im concerned he wont be lining up for Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barely a year ago and there was a decent percentage that thought Yeo will never make it as a midfielder, no awareness in congestion etc. But it was all about getting the time in the middle and building consistency.

Reckon Nelson will be the same in that he develops consistency the more consecutive games he can string together at the highest level. His best efforts have been bloody good, and then he's prone to howlers. But he's only 22.

I'm still pretty optimistic about his ceiling as an AFL player, obviously not as high as someone like Yeo but he has the tools to be a productive mid/defender. Sounds like the club are still optimistic about his ceiling too if they're taking all this time to develop him in a new position this season. If all they saw in him was a lockdown defender, he wouldn't be leaving the defensive group.
Nelson is comparable to someone like Adam Selwood. He'll give his all but lacks the skillset of the very good to elite players. I would say as far as pace, height, marking, swerve ability and decision making Watson has him covered. With regards to kicking time will tell. Utility depth at best.
The difference with Yeo was that his natural talent like pace and marking ability was apparent from the beginning. The ingredients were there to make him into a top midfielder.

Nelson is comparable to someone like Adam Selwood...

Just so I'm clear. The Adam Selwood who played 187 games for us? Premiership Eagle Adam Selwood?

I have never understood why developing into a able footsoldier at AFL level is looked down upon so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back