Preview Preseason match vs Swans @spotless stadium 4:20pm Sunday March 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

surprised that neither Comben or CCJ are in. Looks like Young, Goater and Kyron will battle it out for one spot in round 1 (assuming Hall is available by then). Reckon Polec and Philips will need to do something if they’re going to be named round 1.

Polec will start rd1 without doubt.... been in top three in two intra and then against Mel too... expecting a big year for him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can already see Kyron Hayden streaming off half back, turning it over to Tom Phillips before it goes back over his head and Jacob ******* Kositscheez kicks his 7th goal.
i dunno, dorks looked pretty average today as well.

it will be a matter of who loses worse.

Take McKay out and our backline looks like it's in for a world of hurt. If we lose the battle of the midfield tomorrow we're in big trouble.
Can't afford an avalanche of forward 50 entries by the Swannies. They'll slaughter us.

In saying that, that would be the normal scenario however let's hope the weather conditions benefit our smaller squad.
Noble has already said in at least one interview this week that the primary focus of any team he's coached has been winning at the contest.
We do that tomorrow, with what seems a fairly fast squad and we'll be a chance.

Interesting that Comben isn't playing, especially with CCJ out. Didn't play last week. Sure the conditions won't suit big men, but if he's injured then just say so.

Being sick for a week probably the underlying reason... add onto it the fact it is only a practise match and then if it is going to be average conditions, not worth it. Shame as he is one I'm looking for to seeing.... might see greenwood thrown fwd and no doubt goldy be in there too to help out larkey

since i see no game-day thread:
Coach Emeritus Scamper
17219.jpeg

and
Coach Sissy Rose
Resized_20210507_204521.jpeg

both say the following:

Take McKay out and our backline looks like it's in for a world of hurt. If we lose the battle of the midfield tomorrow we're in big trouble.
Can't afford an avalanche of forward 50 entries by the Swannies. They'll slaughter us.

In saying that, that would be the normal scenario however let's hope the weather conditions benefit our smaller squad.
Noble has already said in at least one interview this week that the primary focus of any team he's coached has been winning at the contest.
We do that tomorrow, with what seems a fairly fast squad and we'll be a chance.
Our biggest danger this year is that we have a relatively very young midfield backed by even younger depth. When it goes badly against them the backline will be in all sorts of trouble and even with McKay they need some control over the middle of the ground to break even. We saw this issue a lot in 2020 and early 2021. I suspect when we are breaking even or better in the middle we will look very competitive - even dangerous at times, but if badly beaten in the middle... oh boy.

Being sick for a week probably the underlying reason... add onto it the fact it is only a practise match and then if it is going to be average conditions, not worth it. Shame as he is one I'm looking for to seeing.... might see greenwood thrown fwd and no doubt goldy be in there too to help out larkey

I don't see Comben as an early year starter. CCJ & Goldy are the talls in the middle and supporting forward with Walker starting in the back - with his limitations - and Xerri next off the block if we need more height. I'd like to see Comben play a good half year uninterrupted, even if 80% of that is in the VFL.

Fair bit of talent named on the bench :

North Melbourne Kangaroos v Sydney Swans – AAMI Community Series

B:
7.Jack Ziebell, 4.Aidan Corr, 28.Kayne Turner
HB: 11.Luke McDonald, 19.Josh Walker, 17.Lachie Young
C: 8.Bailey Scott, 18.Hugh Greenwood, 13.Jared Polec
HF: 26.Tarryn Thomas, 20.Nick Larkey, 5.Curtis Taylor
F: 1.Jack Mahony, 2.Jaidyn Stephenson, 6.Jason Horne-Francis
R: 38.Tristan Xerri, 9.Luke Davies-Uniacke, 12.Jy Simpkin
I/C: 22.Todd Goldstein, 24.Tom Powell, 29.Will Phillips, 31.Josh Goater, 35.Charlie Lazzaro, 37.Kyron Hayden, 40.Eddie Ford, 44.Cam Zurhaar

Emg: 15.Atu Bosenavulagi, 25.Paul Curtis, 27.Miller Bergman, 33.Patrick Walker

Got to admit I don't mind the way the team has been names this year. There has to be a realistic approach that doesn't involve every young talent getting thrown in at once - there needs to be some experience in the team and mature bodies even if they aren't necessarily likely to be there in a few years, or even the end of the year. Young, Hayden and Walker are the obvious ones on that list. They're all fit and have some experience and can play supporting roles in a developing team. Xerri too has a real opportunity in CCJ's absence - I'd really like to see him get a lot of gametime and stake his claim for starting the year in the 1's sooner rather than later. From what I've seen he looked AFL standard - albeit no world beater yet - in the VFL but was overwhelmed by occasion and pace of the game in the AFL games. He needs a couple of games to settle and show the tools that he does have. His ability in the VFL to cover ground, be a marking threat all over the ground and a physical threat to opposition are good attributes in a journeyman ruckman at AFL level. For our sake I want him to come on as we need to find ruck strength post Goldy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally would like goldy and cj/x with larkey and either cj/chom. Ie 4 out of the 5... Brisbane did it fri with fort and O in ruck and Daniher and mcstay fwd. and have hipwood to come back in.... port do too with Marshall Dixon when fit and Lycett and ladhams last yr then have Hayes this.... obviously not if wet like meant to be today

I can already see Kyron Hayden streaming off half back, turning it over to Tom Phillips before it goes back over his head and Jacob ******* Kositscheez kicks his 7th goal.
What only Kyron, not JZ, Young, LMac or any number of other players, or is he the only one you see as getting run out of the back half?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back