Game Day Preseason Scrimmage -West Coast v Fremantle, Sat 24/2 : Let the melts begin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is saying that, I am saying that he should be playing through the midfield as his priority role. He can be rested back, forward or on the bench but his priority role this year is to learn and pick up the AFL pace in the midfield.
He started in the centre square for the first quarter of the match sim before being moved back later in the quarter.

Umm, playing against juniors to then playing against mature AFL bodies is a gigantic leap, even for someone like Reid.

You can't seriously be suggesting that because he played mid as a junior(actually split time between back/forward and mid last 2 years, so not a FT mid anyway) that he's physically capable enough to match it with senior AFL mids in his first year...
Whats the difference between him and Ginbey in that regard. Thats the comparison and thought to make.

Whose more AFL ready for that full time midfield spot. So far im inclined to think its a 50/50 call and then based on that calculation id then simply go "who suits the teams needs" the best int hat role and then go with Reid over Ginbey

Pretending Ginbey is some seasoned veteran and Reid is some punk kid is a bit of a falsehood. Its a coin flip scenario. With that in mind lets choose the option that suits the teams needs

Whats the difference between him and Ginbey in that regard. Thats the comparison and thought to make.

Whose more AFL ready for that full time midfield spot. So far im inclined to think its a 50/50 call and then based on that calculation id then simply go "who suits the teams needs" the best int hat role and then go with Reid over Ginbey

Pretending Ginbey is some seasoned veteran and Reid is some punk kid is a bit of a falsehood. Its a coin flip scenario. With that in mind lets choose the option that suits the teams needs
Ginbey rotated to half back also.

He ended up having to do more midfield minutes due to player availability and nothing else.

Just a reminder folks, Jack Petrucelle signed a two year contract extension last year. He's on our list until the end of 2025. When he inevitably gets delisted, he'll have spent 7 years in the AFL system, despite having achieved utterly *-all. Not a bad gig really.
If O'Neill and Foley could last 5 years on our list no reason Petch can't be here for 7. We're a generous club.

laughs in Fraser McInnes

At least ole Frase only took up a rookie position for his last two years. And I suppose you could also argue, given that he only played 14 games, we didn't really waste any serious game time on him. By the time Petrucelle gets delisted, he's likely to have played 100 games. I reckon our match committee should google 'sunk cost fallacy'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been playing full time mid for the last 5 years of his early footy life. A full time mid gets plenty of breaks forward and on the bench. It's just footy mate, why do we want to make it something it isn't.
Agree to disagree. He should be playing midfield and would be under pretty much 90% of all AFL coaches. Just as Judd did.
Reid actually played 2022 predominantly across half back and last year split midfield and forward duties around 50/50. So claiming he played as a full time mid isn’t actually correct.

He doesn’t have a McKercher or Sanders tank and in fact if you go back to some of the chat around Reid last year in our draft trade discussions it was that he had two parts to his game that weren’t above average or elite. Those being his tank and his set shots at Goal which were both considered as just average.

It will be interesting to see where the Eagles can get Harleys tank to over the next few years. I personally think it’s an area of a players game that can be improved over time.

At this stage of his career I don’t think he has it in him to be a full time midfielder. He will have to play in other areas of the ground and not just play exclusively as a midfielder.

Last edited:
So a guy with multiple injury issues and half a dozen games more experience is better then the guy with 5 or so less games of experience but hasnt been injured alot?

Seems dumb
Multiple injury issues?

A hamstring and now a concussion?

I'd say a bloke with a full AFL preseason, as well as a half a preseason the year before + playing 19 games of AFL is probably better physically equipped than a bloke who ended his season early after injuring his knee prior to being drafted.

Let's think a little please.

7 disposals from the generational number one pick. 4 tackles tho so i guess he had a crack at some point.
Dustin Martin started in 2010 and won his first all Australian in 2016.

Dangerfield debuted 2008 won his first All Australian in 2012.

Two of the best players in the last decade, give Harley a chance hey.

If in 2028 he’s still getting 7 disposals and laying 4 tackles yeah sure lay the boots in.

Gee whizz

Neither Ginbey nor Reid should be in the main midfield group but our list is that dire that we've put the kid in there that has had a season of AFL under his belt.

Anyone suggesting we should throw Reid in the middle full time should turn their TV off for a couple of years.

Dustin Martin started in 2010 and won his first all Australian in 2016.

Dangerfield debuted 2008 won his first All Australian in 2012.

Two of the best players in the last decade, give Harley a chance hey.

If in 2028 he’s still getting 7 disposals and laying 4 tackles yeah sure lay the boots in.
I remember a couple of years into Dangerfield's career crows fans were complaining about grabbing him and not Brad Ebert with their first rounder.

I remember a couple of years into Dangerfield's career crows fans were complaining about grabbing him and not Brad Ebert with their first rounder.
According to the interwebs, he didn't debut until round 20, and then managed just 9 touches. Played the following week, got just 3 (assume he was injured though - 39% TOG).

In his second season he managed 20 touches once, and more than fifteen a total of three times. In his third season, he managed more than 20 just once - against a spoon-bound Eagles no less. Didn't crack 30 touches until very late in his fourth year, and it wasn't until his fifth season that his possession average finally climbed above 20 a game...but yeah, Harley barely touched it in a scrachy so let's delist him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back