Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason starts for us on Wednesday so hopefully they dont go too hard on Cup Day.
Looks like we are going to NT again as well.

This is the preview from the AFL site:

Training return: The first-to-fourth year players return next Wednesday, November 7, while the rest of the list will be back on Monday, November 19.

Injury list: Ruckman Billy Longer will be restricted as he recovers from left ankle surgery, and will probably sit out of some of the agility work early on. However, he's been doing plenty of running through the off-season. Former Melbourne forward Dean Kent will also be delayed as he rehabs his right shoulder following an operation in September. Backman Dylan Roberton is itching to get back into full training after missing the bulk of the year with a heart issue, while Paddy McCartin (left foot) and Josh Bruce (leg) are similarly ready.

Draft picks: 4, 36, 46, 67, 79

Major off-field moves: There's been a big shake-up underneath Alan Richardson. Several new assistant coaches have been brought in, with Brett Ratten to take over forward line and ball movement, and Brendon Lade in charge of the midfield. Adam Skrobalak has moved into a full-time position and will help Lade, while Jake Batchelor has been brought in to be a development defensive coach. Helping out the list management team will be Graeme Allan, rugby league legend Billy Slater has taken a leadership role and the Saints have appointed Darren O'Shaughnessy as the senior analyst.

Round one: Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium, Sunday, March 24, 1.10pm AEDT

2018 Premiership odds: $101

And another thing … A group of third and fourth-year players are headed up to the Northern Territory from Monday, November 12. The itinerary will be similar to last year's trip, when Ben Long hosted the leadership group up north. Among those accompanying Long will be Jade Gresham, Brandon White, Bailey Rice, Josh Battle, Rowan Marshall and Darragh Joyce. - Dinny Navaratnam

Long into the leadership group?
Nah, they did the same thing last year. He's just going with them.
Sounds like they're expanding it to a few more younger players as well.

I remember Geary coming back from it last year and saying it was good but kind of pointless as they really needed everyone there together.

This sort of bonding is good - but I think it also opens the eyes to the different sort of knowledge and background that Long brings to the group - and it educates the boys on a whole different way of having fun that doesn't rely on technology.

Nah, they did the same thing last year. He's just going with them.
Sounds like they're expanding it to a few more younger players as well.

I remember Geary coming back from it last year and saying it was good but kind of pointless as they really needed everyone there together.
I think it was just in the context of it being a leadership meeting iirc.

As just a bonding trip I'm sure it will be a lot more valuable.

Btw, that failed leadership meeting turned out to be a startling portent of a year without leadership on field so I hope the leaders meeting, whatever form it takes for the coming season, is much more successful. Surely Hannerberry and Slater are running the show there or at least a huge influence.

What I want to see is the younger players develop physically. We seem to have under developed players physically compared to most sides. These aren't kids anymore as majority are in that 22 to 24 years of age bracket. Even other teams youngsters look more mature body wise than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I want to see is the younger players develop physically. We seem to have under developed players physically compared to most sides. These aren't kids anymore as majority are in that 22 to 24 years of age bracket. Even other teams youngsters look more mature body wise than ours.
I believe a bloke called Dank has been in touch, offering to help out..

Pies board seem resigned to the fact that he won't be available to the Pies.

General consensus is outstanding athletic ability - can't kick - project player.

Very late draft pick or first round rookie draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking
I don't know where they get the 'can't kick' bit from, what does that even mean? Of course he can kick, watch the vision of him taking the hanger against Werribee, he hits up some bloke straight after, or watch this https://www.vafa.com.au/latest-news/featured-videos/no-3-tom-jok-st-kevins-ob/

Hayden McLean from Sandy and Tom Jok from the Collingwood VFL training with St.Kilda.
McLean has ability for sure , not sure what his best position is maybe Forward part time ruck ? The strap is raw as and then you throw in Biggy from next year , we will be able to start a basketball team

McLean has ability for sure , not sure what his best position is maybe Forward part time ruck ? The strap is raw as and then you throw in Biggy from next year , we will be able to start a basketball team

He's below average in the ruck at VFL level so doubt that's his go. He's a tall forward who could be very good. There is something about him like Marshall where he's too good for VFL and you can't quite tell how good he's going to be. Might be a steal or a lemon. he deserves a chance on someones rookie list though, there is something about him that looks promising.

He's below average in the ruck at VFL level so doubt that's his go. He's a tall forward who could be very good. There is something about him like Marshall where he's too good for VFL and you can't quite tell how good he's going to be. Might be a steal or a lemon. he deserves a chance on someones rookie list though, there is something about him that looks promising.
You need to remember he is a baby against some of the mature rucks that are playing at VFL level ,

You need to remember he is a baby against some of the mature rucks that are playing at VFL level ,

I saw him play a few games late in the season and when he went into the ruck he was crucified. Like 10 hit outs to 50 kind of monstered. Loved his game when he wasn't rucking though, he's a big hard contested boy who looks like he could play that Kosi type tall target and bring the ball to ground or grab it from a contest. He's raw but exciting. He should get picked up by someone, he looks likely.

I saw him play a few games late in the season and when he went into the ruck he was crucified. Like 10 hit outs to 50 kind of monstered. Loved his game when he wasn't rucking though, he's a big hard contested boy who looks like he could play that Kosi type tall target and bring the ball to ground or grab it from a contest. He's raw but exciting. He should get picked up by someone, he looks likely.
He only rucked because we had no other options at the end of the season. Definitely more of a forward.

I don't know where they get the 'can't kick' bit from, what does that even mean? Of course he can kick, watch the vision of him taking the hanger against Werribee, he hits up some bloke straight after, or watch this https://www.vafa.com.au/latest-news/featured-videos/no-3-tom-jok-st-kevins-ob/
Sorry my apologies.

In future I will ensure any post on a player comes will a full treatise on their relative strengths and weaknesses, any physiological & psychological impediments, any historical childhood trauma's that may affect there future development.

"Can't kick" - assessment that the player in question whilst being physically capable of kicking an AFL ball, actually lacks the kicking skill and finesse generally applicable to an AFL standard player. (ie Sam Gilbert can't kick )

Agree don’t get the can’t kick label against all 3 Jok / Chol ( Richmond ) / Allir Allir (Sydney )
Outstanding upside and there are a heap of them out at Dandenong Stingrays providing they are
mentored by good role models.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back