Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Rewatching our win against the Demons, I really did underrate Clark this game when I first saw it. Not incredibly high numbers, but he is just so composed and makes it look easy.

He Reminds me a bit of Simon Black, not to oversell him, but He just gets in does his job with a clear head.

It was also great to hear Coff say that he’s training the house down. Not expecting the world from him in 2019, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he took a big step forward.

I saw in one match, not sure but might have even been the Demons game, where Hunter at a centre bounce was being jostled behind the umpires back. Then just as the ball bounced & the umpire was retreating, he cleverly pushed his opponent to one side of the umpire as he attacked the ball on the other side. Very cool head for a guy so young & only in his first year. :thumbsu: Going to be a star.

Except we're talking about the club captain - important distinction.
We had Rooey as the "inspirational leader" but most would argue that he wasn't a really great captain because he had terrible "leadership" failings in other areas.

ATM we simply don't have the complete "Selwood" type leader on our list so you look to the best that you have and I have no problems with Gears as captain because I know he's probably on par with the other possible options. Good in some area's, not so strong in others.

Ross (inspirational - I doubt it, a leader - maybe?)

Steven (inspirational - yep - a leader? not so sure)

If Hanners had have been in our team for the last 2 years then, from what we are hearing, he would be an obvious choice.

I watched it as well. So many good performances in this game. This is the standard that we should be playing every week. So frustrating knowing that we can play like this, yet only won 4 games for the year. For mine, Melbourne weren’t even that bad, we were just very good & made our inside 50s & scores count (which is our Achilles heel most of the time).

Gresh, Stuv, Billings, Battle, Paddy early, Snake, Clark & more - all players with elite talents stood out like a beacon. Harness it with consistency week to week & we’re set

Skunk as well, but Gresh was a class above everyone that game. He epitomised not giving up, a couple of times he was in the verge of being called for holding the ball then Greco Roman wrestled his way free to pop a handball out.

I saw in one match, not sure but might have even been the Demons game, where Hunter at a centre bounce was being jostled behind the umpires back. Then just as the ball bounced & the umpire was retreating, he cleverly pushed his opponent to one side of the umpire as he attacked the ball on the other side. Very cool head for a guy so young & only in his first year. :thumbsu: Going to be a star.

Hahahaha, now that’s a move worthy of the number 11.

We had Rooey as the "inspirational leader" but most would argue that he wasn't a really great captain because he had terrible "leadership" failings in other areas.

ATM we simply don't have the complete "Selwood" type leader on our list so you look to the best that you have and I have no problems with Gears as captain because I know he's probably on par with the other possible options. Good in some area's, not so strong in others.

If Hanners had have been in our team for the last 2 years then, from what we are hearing, he would be an obvious choice.

agree with your post 100% , just not sure what the clips about , anyone should have been able to make that tackle , the guy had no idea it was coming

I guess it all depends on how you define the captain's role.

Buddy inspires but he's not a captain.

Hodge is as hard as a cats head, but his real leadership is directing players etc.

Selwood is different again.

I see Geary as a tough back pocket player at best.

Massive respect for him for his application and what he has achieved. A real leader in that sense.

The reason I jumped on the Hunter bandwagon in 2017 was his broken field play.
He has a massive weapon with his left foot.

Remember that he is a natural right footer.

In his highlights he would open the fat side with perfect left foot disposals.

In the Melbourne game with the game on the line he used his left foot for a fifty metre pass to a one on one, can't remember if Battle or Stuv, but it was exactly what I first liked from his TAC highlights.

But to do it you need a football brain and vision of the play.

This kid has both.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gearys age will dictate that he will eventually have to hand over the captaincy. I think he's a good captain. Not a great one. But he's serviceable. I don't buy that because he's in the backline he can't be captain. Maxwell and Harley were too premiership captains playing in the backline.

Ideally we need more players stepping up like geary has. The players need to move past talking the talk and being happy getting a game and or playing a good game every now and then. They need to move past being happy with the good contract and the security of knowing what the next 3 years holds. They have to really want it. That means no ******* holidays 3 days out from their first JLT game. It means turning up in good condition ready to hit the ground running and working extremely hard to get an extra 0.05% advantage.

If it can click and they get into that fully obsessed uncompromising attitude to their approach to football we could give it a shake in the future. But I'm not convinced it will happen with this generation without a change at the top. Need a new senior coach. A proper footy boss. A CEO with a holistic view of the football club. One where everything needs to be performing not just bits and pieces that a talked up to "everything's amazing".

I agree except I don’t see why Hanners has to have played for us for 2 years to be considered. He has vast experience at AFL level and is exhibiting the sort of leadership qualities we’ve been crying out for. The only knock for me would be any concern we have about how many games he’s likely to play. If that looks reasonable, then I hope we give him the gig.

The reason I jumped on the Hunter bandwagon in 2017 was his broken field play.
He has a massive weapon with his left foot.

Remember that he is a natural right footer.

In his highlights he would open the fat side with perfect left foot disposals.

In the Melbourne game with the game on the line he used his left foot for a fifty metre pass to a one on one, can't remember if Battle or Stuv, but it was exactly what I first liked from his TAC highlights.

But to do it you need a football brain and vision of the play.

This kid has both.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep sometimes you just see one or two small things and go - yep this guy has got some real talent.

0.28 to 0.55

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-11-23/matthew-parker-highlights

Seb Ross is not in the same stratosphere in terms of damaging play as Tom Mitchell.

How could anyone consider Seb’s pokey little moon ball kicks as damaging? I thought he was one of the main issues in terms of poor on field leadership.

I’d keep Gears as skipper ahead of Seb to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Hawks mate reckons Mitchell is s**t because he gets 45 possessions and half are useless. He doesn't rate him very highly at all. When you watch him he does seem to get a lot of undamaging possession too.

I agree except I don’t see why Hanners has to have played for us for 2 years to be considered. He has vast experience at AFL level and is exhibiting the sort of leadership qualities we’ve been crying out for. The only knock for me would be any concern we have about how many games he’s likely to play. If that looks reasonable, then I hope we give him the gig.
Agree totally with this.
We bought him in as a senior A grader leader.

Pity there are just not enough of these moments for long enough throughout games.
Ross has the potential and gets enough of it to be influential.
Respect Gears immensely and his leadership around the group is important that's why handing over or sharing the captaincy is good for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity there are just not enough of these moments for long enough throughout games.
Ross has the potential and gets enough of it to be influential.
Respect Gears immensely and his leadership around the group is important that's why handing over or sharing the captaincy is good for the team.

I think Geary is underrated. I think he was injured late because his form fell away after about the half way point of the season, before that he had huge games against Richmond, GWS and Geelong. He was really solid last year as well. People have a memory of when his kicking was poor but that's been pretty solid for the last 4 or so years.

My Hawks mate reckons Mitchell is s**t because he gets 45 possessions and half are useless. He doesn't rate him very highly at all. When you watch him he does seem to get a lot of undamaging possession too.
He gives heaps of pissy little 50cm handballs to blokes in congestion that end up getting tackled.

I watched it as well. So many good performances in this game. This is the standard that we should be playing every week. So frustrating knowing that we can play like this, yet only won 4 games for the year. For mine, Melbourne weren’t even that bad, we were just very good & made our inside 50s & scores count (which is our Achilles heel most of the time).

Gresh, Stuv, Billings, Steele (edited in - can’t believe I missed naming him), Battle, Paddy early, Snake, Clark & more - all players with elite talents stood out like a beacon. Harness it with consistency week to week & we’re set
So true. I’ve watched the GWS game round 19 which we should’ve won. We were so wasteful in front of goal but absolutely dominated the game.

Hats off to the club for all the changes off the field and playing group.
Can't help but feel enthused about some real depth in all areas... excluding ruck imo.

Hungry mature agers, good players returning from injury and natural development of existing youngsters. Throw in Hannas and someone is bound to get off the chain and start freeing up ball movement and fwd delivery.

Last edited:
I think Geary is underrated. I think he was injured late because his form fell away after about the half way point of the season, before that he had huge games against Richmond, GWS and Geelong. He was really solid last year as well. People have a memory of when his kicking was poor but that's been pretty solid for the last 4 or so years.

Geary has done exceptional job to play the number of games coming from rookie list.

But sorry Gringo his kicking and turnovers have never improved , it’s your opinion have a different one.

There is a reason he is always free when opposition zone off , they want him kicking the ball.

When he does they score.

The End.

Rewatching our win against the Demons, I really did underrate Clark this game when I first saw it. Not incredibly high numbers, but he is just so composed and makes it look easy.

He Reminds me a bit of Simon Black, not to oversell him, but He just gets in does his job with a clear head.

It was also great to hear Coff say that he’s training the house down. Not expecting the world from him in 2019, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he took a big step forward.
Odd, I just rewatched that exact match last night and finished it tonight.
What struck me was just how close Paddy was to kicking a bag that game. Kicked 2.3 and had two others not make the distance, all from very gettable distances. I do get that bad kicking is bad footy but when you are a hairs breadth from really stamping your name on the game it must be so damn mentally taxing.

If the team can play that kind of football consistently next year then things will start to fall into place in every part of the ground.

He gives heaps of pissy little 50cm handballs to blokes in congestion that end up getting tackled.
Yeah, gets enough of his own footy to be useful though. At least a quarter are pretty iffy, but that still leaves 30 odd! Scott West was the player whose disposals I didn't rate much. Mostly handballs and at least half of them went backwards. Never minded him racking up numbers against us.

Odd, I just rewatched that exact match last night and finished it tonight.
What struck me was just how close Paddy was to kicking a bag that game. Kicked 2.3 and had two others not make the distance, all from very gettable distances. I do get that bad kicking is bad footy but when you are a hairs breadth from really stamping your name on the game it must be so damn mentally taxing.

If the team can play that kind of football consistently next year then things will start to fall into place in every part of the ground.
Bit of structure pressure and slick ball movement. Who would of thought a key forward would get on the end of a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back