Training 2020 Preseason

Armchair selection ride? When did Heeney & Mills ever do anything worthy of not getting selected? Dawson could've been but he had bad luck with injuries and said himself he wasn't in the best condition, so unfair IMO to use the fact that those four earned early games and proved themselves against them.

Dawson hasn't dropped in form but he's had good games and games where he's not so involved. I could go further but I am not a fan of dragging up mistakes youngsters make and faults in their games. It's the ebbs and flows of being a 22 year old. But can you genuinely say that same standard is applied to every other young player?

How many nearly games have Hayward mills Florent and Heaney played? i mean they earned selection apparently

florent should have been dropped several times

How many nearly games have Hayward mills Florent and Heaney played? i mean they earned selection apparently

florent should have been dropped several times

They earned selection and then held their spots. Heeney & Mills were starring from very early on, Hayward good for a goal or two every game, and Florent was also held back in the NEAFL for most of his first year and then had a massive pre-season to earn his spot.

Florent could've been dropped this year, and if our list was better he should've been, but there were no better alternatives, and then he bounced back which he deserved great commendation for (and got very little on here.)

Do you think Blakey has got an armchair ride with selection this year?

They earned selection and then held their spots. Heeney & Mills were starring from very early on, Hayward good for a goal or two every game, and Florent was also held back in the NEAFL for most of his first year and then had a massive pre-season to earn his spot.

Florent could've been dropped this year, and if our list was better he should've been, but there were no better alternatives, and then he bounced back which he deserved great commendation for (and got very little on here.)

Do you think Blakey has got an armchair ride with selection this year?

Yes blakey played round 1, as did the other 4 in their first years IIRC . Blakey is an exceptional talent, but he still played some poor games at times,

Not saying they werent good, but they didnt go earn the spot like Dawson was made too.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm hearing early reports that everyone is slated for more midfield time and houses are being trained down.
I have a thought on the midfield. Instead of playing Joel Amartey as a Ruck next season why not play him as a bullocking mid. He could play mids half the game and rest forward the other half, improve his endurance and create a player in the mids who is a formidable size, 197cm. He has the agility, speed and knows how to get the ball in there. When he rucks his second efforts are really good. If we could turn those second efforts into first touch it would be great.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a thought on the midfield. Instead of playing Joel Amartey as a Ruck next season why not play him as a bullocking mid. He could play mids half the game and rest forward the other half, improve his endurance and create a player in the mids who is a formidable size, 197cm. He has the agility, speed and knows how to get the ball in there. When he rucks his second efforts are really good. If we could turn those second efforts into first touch it would be great.
Is this the same Amartey that finished last in the 2km time trial?

Is this the same Amartey that finished last in the 2km time trial?
Yeah, I love Amartey but he's so raw and his tank is pretty average at this stage it seems. Last thing we need to be doing is throwing him on ball and expecting him to give sustained, consistent effort... Not to mention how much damage that could do to his confidence & development.

Build him up in a key position. Let him play where he currently is best suited with short stints elsewhere to help extend his development... Throwing him to the wolves or in a completely inappropriate role for his body, development and style doesn't help anyone IMO.

Yes blakey played round 1, as did the other 4 in their first years IIRC . Blakey is an exceptional talent, but he still played some poor games at times,

Not saying they werent good, but they didnt go earn the spot like Dawson was made too.

Well they obviously did if they were selected so early!

It also shouldn't change how they're all judged so differently now that they're all in the team.

Personally I’d be surprised if Amartey is still on our list this time next year. Can’t see him making much impact as a midfielder at AFL level, let alone a ruck.

Hope he proves me wrong!!

One of a handful I suspect who we'll be wondering this time next year what difference they made staying on the list for another season (Bell and Fox also come to mind.)

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
2yr contract?

His management announced on instagram he got two years. From the Swans he was group into an article of players that were at the very least retained for 2020.

As we have retained Wicks and added O’Conner as Cat B it is assumed that Bell got promoted to the senior list (further strengthened by a couple of academy kids that are joining the group for the start of preseason and options for Cat B selection which are I believe capped at 3).

Back