Opinion Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is what bemuses me... how can anyone believe an Instagram account with that many followers can in any way be 'private'...
Yeah, it is a fair point …

… but I’m guessing (and it is only a guess) that if your posting is not private, then it is considered in the public domain, is open to fair use, quoting, etc, etc and is handled within a particular media legal framework (or code of ethics)

Contrast if the post is private, it’s just between you and your 6000 mates, then it is not considered in the public domain, is not open to fair use, quoting, etc, etc, and is handled within a different media legal framework (or code of ethics). Obviously if you’re doing something illegal, etc, etc, then that wouldn’t protect you, but would imagine that the media would generally lay off people posting stuff privately?

Maybe (dunno) FC broke some kind of code of ethics or unwritten rule by broadcasting a private post? Or maybe they just thought “stuff her, she’s got 6000 followers we’re not going to treat it as private?”

She clearly believed that setting her socials to private would offer her some level of protection, and it ended up that it didn’t.

Last edited:

Apples

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I didn’t have an issue at all with it myself, but I understand that some others aren’t like me …

… and I agree with you, I don’t think her post was a great judgement call.

But looking into the facts around it …

- Bridie’s post would have been made on Saturday evening (clearly, during the Bulldog’s / Port game)

- It was made on her private Insta account. Mind you, with > 6000 followers, so it’s not very private!

- One of her followers obviously leaked it.

- No other media outlet got a hold of it, or touched it. Including Caro on FC on Monday night when she was talking on the topic of Collingwood board stability anyway.

- It suddenly appeared four days later on Wednesday’s FC episode hosted by Ed.

TBH, I dunno what to make of it all, except that there are people around who are trying to stir the pot.

Ed could have killed it if he wanted to. He could have easily turned on his voice-of-the-common-man-schtick and said “Nothing in it, I was watching that game myself and cheering for Adam Treloar”.

Ed always professes to have Collingwood’s best interests at heart, and I reckon he normally does. He’s also said that he’s keeping his own counsel and not commenting about Collingwood matters (Good advice).

I just don’t see how spiking a Collingwood board member - one who he doesn’t know and hasn’t served with - is in anyway in the best interests of Collingwood? Nor how it is consistent with his pledge to keep his mouth shut about Collingwood matters?
I believe he can comment upon anything he pleases as a journalist and host. Can't we just get over Eddie? He's gone and we are in a mess. Talk of Eddie coming back is silly. Can't we just deal with the now instead of constantly sinking the boots in?

half_back_flank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2008
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Out of interest, and you being in Queensland …

… Bridie grew up in Joh Bjelke Peterson’s Queensland (dunno where, I get it’s a big place, she did her M.D at UQ) and one of her explanations was that when she came down to Vic around 10 years ago she wasn’t really familiar with the AFL landscape and it took her time to settle into it. I guess Brisbane / Queensland hasn’t really had that multi-team town dynamic (Broncos, Reds, Maroons, Bullets, Bears/Lions … that’s it?) and she clearly hadn’t followed AFL while she was up there, which I imagine is easier to do than living in Melbourne.

I reckon we would have given Bridie more leeway if she’d come from overseas, as Peggy O’Neil has.

Do you reckon we need to make any allowances to her being a Queenslander?
This has little relevance to the point I was making. I think she was a good appointment, however her initial press conference where every question directed to her about the men’s football department (conservatively 90% of the business she was going to govern over) was redirected to the ALFW and netball sides pigeoned holed her, at a time where our men’s side was in the press for all the wrong reasons due to the salary cap. she should have been great for our netball/AFLW teams, however couldn’t play the game to give her the opportunity to do so.

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
This has little relevance to the point I was making. I think she was a good appointment, however her initial press conference where every question directed to her about the men’s football department (conservatively 90% of the business she was going to govern over) was redirected to the ALFW and netball sides pigeoned holed her, at a time where our men’s side was in the press for all the wrong reasons due to the salary cap. she should have been great for our netball/AFLW teams, however couldn’t play the game to give her the opportunity to do so.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t connecting those two things.

(I’m not sure of the press conference you’re referring to, I don’t think I saw it, so I don’t have an opinion on it)

Was curious about your opinion about the Queenslander perspective?

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe he can comment upon anything he pleases as a journalist and host. Can't we just get over Eddie? He's gone and we are in a mess. Talk of Eddie coming back is silly. Can't we just deal with the now instead of constantly sinking the boots in?
Yeah, I agree, talk of him coming back is silly.

But he made the point himself that as ex-President his opinions carry a certain weight. He’s made the point himself that he shouldn’t be commenting about Collingwood. Why doesn’t he follow his own advice?

Anzacday

Jul 3, 2014
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree.
The trouble is he still won't shut up and stop meddling, (despite his utterances).
Imagine being a supporter of another team and watching that show, I assume, (I don't watch it) that it would be frustrating as hell.

half_back_flank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2008
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t connecting those two things.

(I’m not sure of the press conference you’re referring to, I don’t think I saw it, so I don’t have an opinion on it)

Was curious about your opinion about the Queenslander perspective?
Have not lived in QLD for close to a decade. However anyone who grew up in the early to mid 00’s (even with the lions threepeat) who developed an appreciation of Aussie rules gets my respect.

Quicky

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
In the last 24 hours, somebody leaked a story to the Herald Sun suggesting Murphy was on the verge of taking the presidency.
Today, Murphy vehemently denies the story in The Age. He is obviously a little bit cross.
Bridie O'Donnell is pushed out the door after displaying poor judgement yet again.

Who would have leaked the Murphy story to the Herald Sun? It must have been somebody trusted by the HS journalist. I know who my money is on. Could it be the same person who leaked the Do Better Report? As far as I know, no investigation has been done into this.
It's almost as if it didn't happen. I bet Eddie knows.
Who do you think the leak is?

Collingwood 4 eternity

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This cluster fu** only proves how good Eddie was!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
With 3 year terms , There will most probably be an election every year/ or second year for any board member coming up for election or an election to elect a new nominee to replace one ,when one inevitably leaves the board like Bridie did today.

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
… Eddie has always said this; he thinks a spill would be a disaster …
Ed knows his history, and probably believes that it would lead to an acrimonious split in the membership.

You can see it on here, we’re already splitting off into pro and anti Browne factions, people are picking a side and tying their egos to their candidate.

And when the dust settles after that - no matter the result - a portion of the membership will end up alienated and disengaged, membership will be down, attendances will be down, merchandise will be down, etc, etc, and he probably thinks that’s bad for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roverjg

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2014
Surf Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
No issue with Holgate. She's been a supporter of the club since 2003 and presumably fulfilled all the relevant criterion to sit on the board in the first place.

Waislitz got in via the McGuire ticket, but him not being eligible at the beginning never sat well with me. It set a precedent that we're still seeing today.
You have no issue with Holgate but lambast Bridie for being on the Board. Yet it was Holgate's responsibility to entice/ assess any Board Applicants and determine 1. their eligibility and 2. suitability for a Board position before referring them to the Board for consideration. How has Holgate gone so far?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

PonsfordMagpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
You have no issue with Holgate but lambast Bridie for being on the Board. Yet it was Holgate's responsibility to entice/ assess any Board Applicants and determine 1. their eligibility and 2. suitability for a Board position before referring them to the Board for consideration. How has Holgate gone so far?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You've misunderstood, I have no issue with the circumstances of Holgate's appointment in 2016.

What she's done after that is a different matter.

Quicky

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'm sad to see Bridie has been hounded out. Her latest tweet was a bunch of nothing but dumb in the circumstances. I see a board member who could have given us so much with regard to womans sport and medical matters. A tough skillset to replace and one that won't be by Browne. It compromises the make up of our board if we don't replace that expertise.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
I'm sad to see Bridie has been hounded out. Her latest tweet was a bunch of nothing but dumb in the circumstances. I see a board member who could have given us so much with regard to womans sport and medical matters. A tough skillset to replace and one that won't be by Browne. It compromises the make up of our board if we don't replace that expertise.
Give me pDoppler who care and are passionate for Collingwood over what you suggest here.
She gave no ****s about Collingwood...and the board allowed this to happen into the circus it was and ended.

Collingwood 4 eternity

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could Licuria take the helm?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bridie O’Donnell - new paid job seen as more important to do that than an unpaid Collingwood board position

Peter Murphy - Doesn’t want to be President of Collingwood FC

Mark Korda - Current President said on here by some that he is not a very good public speaker/presenter of the Collingwood FC media wise ? And finishing next year anyway if not before

Christine Holgate - Now head of Toll , some on here have said that she probably doesn’t have the time to commit more than what she already does ?

Neil Wilson - Found to not have the required membership?

Jodie Sizer - Does she have the extra time to commit that would come with being President?

Paul Licuria - Does he want/have the time to commit even more free time than he already does ?

Jeff Browne - Has said he wants to be President of Collingwood FC

Anyone else ??????

Galballys ????

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Board and Browne are still negotiating to bring Browne on to the Board smoothly. Galbally is causing trouble and starting to feel his influence on Browne is slipping, which is why he's threatening to lodge the signatures for a full spill.

Francis Galbally does not care about what is best for the Collingwood Football Club. He is the destabilising influence.

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bridie O’Donnell - new paid job seen as more important to do that than an unpaid Collingwood board position

Peter Murphy - Doesn’t want to be President of Collingwood FC

Mark Korda - Current President said on here by some that he is not a very good public speaker/presenter of the Collingwood FC media wise ? And finishing next year anyway if not before

Christine Holgate - Now head of Toll , some on here have said that she probably doesn’t have the time to commit more than what she already does ?

Neil Wilson - Found to not have the required membership?

Jodie Sizer - Does she have the extra time to commit that would come with being President?

Paul Licuria - Does he want/have the time to commit even more free time than he already does ?

Jeff Browne - Has said he wants to be President of Collingwood FC

Anyone else ??????

Galballys ????
When Holgate started the process for appointing the two board candidates, she started with a list of around 90.

We know Dan Rosen (President of Warner music) and Con Frantzeskos (search for the BigFooty user “conno” on here and he’s posted a bio of himself) are two of the kind of profile who could be board candidates. There would be many dozens of others who you and I have never heard of but would be capable.

There are a few others here on BigFooty who would clearly have the skills to serve on a board, but having the skills is one thing, and having the interest is something entirely different. Don’t believe for a moment that it’s a coveted gig by the people who could do it.

I wonder if Reykjavik would have made a good board member (thoughts Good Horse ?)

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Holgate started the process for appointing the two board candidates, she started with a list of around 90.

We know Dan Rosen (President of Warner music) and Con Frantzeskos (search for the BigFooty user “conno” on here and he’s posted a bio of himself) are two of the kind of profile who could be board candidates. There would be many dozens of others who you and I have never heard of but would be capable.

There are a few others here on BigFooty who would clearly have the skills to serve on a board, but having the skills is one thing, and having the interest is something entirely different. Don’t believe for a moment that it’s a coveted gig by the people who could do it.

I wonder if Reykjavik would have made a good board member (thoughts Good Horse ?)
I'd love to be a Board member personally.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad