Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

The problem with this tick box approach is that it appears to give equal weight to each criteria.....

And if you want to add another criteria, I'd add leadership within the club.... a buzzword for assessing the players but the leadership within the club has been terrible for decades....continually relying on one central person to run the show..
Totally agree with this. When McGuire racially vilified Goodes, he had to go at that time. But no one on the board was willing to tell Ed he had to go and no one was capable of stepping up and leading the club if Ed was forced to take a sabbatical.

Good to see membership growth is a key area of focus.

We’ve stagnated in this area in the last decade and been left behind by West Coast and Richmond.

Strong membership numbers can only be beneficial for the club and allow us to project our strength.
Under what basis is Jeff expecting greater than the approximately 80,000 members that we had last year at this second, let alone the greater than 100,000 he wants?

Flipping over 50% of the Board and finishing 17th in the most recent season isn't going to drive people to hand over their cash straight away during the summer months.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Under what basis is Jeff expecting greater than the approximately 80,000 members that we had last year at this second, let alone the greater than 100,000 he wants?

Flipping over 50% of the Board and finishing 17th in the most recent season isn't going to drive people to hand over their cash straight away during the summer months.

By playing exciting footy.

I doubt it's a goal for he's set for 2022, but more for growth over the coming years.
It's a sensible target and not out of our reach. A strong rebound up the ladder is what we need to help the cause.

People said Korda reminded them of one of the Tobin Brothers.

It looks like one of the other Tobin brothers is now our current President in Browne.

If there was any lower energy you would send in the embalmers.

That was one reason why I didn't vote for him.

Last edited:
I specifically asked what basis Browne can expect so many members to sign up now. As it stands right now we just finished 17th. The club hasn't yet done anything to inspire people to part with their money in droves.
The promise of exciting footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit harsh IMO.
Speaks way better than Korda and spoke with passion.
If he was scripted, he'd be bagged for that too.
Passion? You're taking the P surely?

That was the most uninspiring misdirected first addresses I can remember. In summary, "Our women's team have won their first 2 games. Our young players need a big membership to inspire them. We want your money. Send it now. Get your friends and family to send it too."
Cringeworthy.

I don’t expect 100K this year, but it’s good to aim high.

A reset at a board, coaching and football department level will drive new enthusiasm that the club is embarking on a new era. A few good early results will help.

Had it been more of the same with Eddie and Bucks, I reckon numbers would have dropped off.

We need to be better at marketing ourselves. As an example, Carlton’s grown their membership by 30,000 in the last five years but have achieved nothing on field.

Passion? You're taking the P surely?

That was the most uninspiring misdirected first addresses I can remember. In summary, "Our women's team have won their first 2 games. Our young players need a big membership to inspire them. We want your money. Send it now. Get your friends and family to send it too."
Cringeworthy.
At least he didn’t mention to hit up Grandma for a Birthday Membership gift or check under her mattress.

For the life of me, I wonder how Jeff is an improvement on Korda, although I understand that he is well connected within the AFL.

If I had to dissect Jeff and Korda's auras, I do sense a slight difference. Korda seemed to be desperate to be in the president's position while Jeff seems to appear almost like a reluctant ring-in. Someone who drew the short straw. It's just the feeling I get watching the two of them.

At any rate, I dont think Jeff is going to deliver the michael jackson thriller experience that Eddie was able to put together for 2 decades. A lot of members are going to feel like something is missing in their lives, as the year unfolds.

Yes I may have chosen my word (s) poorly.
He spoke from the heart is what I meant i.e, he clearly loves The Club.
As Markfs clearly articulated, we will miss the delivery skills of Ed.

At any rate, I dont think Jeff is going to deliver the michael jackson thriller experience that Eddie was able to put together for 2 decades. A lot of members are going to feel like something is missing in their lives, as the year unfolds.
Can we give him a chance before completely writing him off?

Yes I may have chosen my word (s) poorly.
He spoke from the heart is what I meant i.e, he clearly loves The Club.
As Markfs clearly articulated, we will miss the delivery skills of Ed.

yeh he might be passionate but competency is preferable anyway. Maintaining focus too. And I dont think we'll see him up the front of a room full of members leading the faithful in the club song a la eddie...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back