Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

The Cats ask for 11 home games every year. Without fail! Look into it.

They have begrudgingly accepted us at the MCG as a "home" game for exposure, to placate the AFL/MCC's agreement that involves our Club's name and they still rake in plenty. Plus they've got plenty of Melbourne based fans.

But they'll be happy to play us in 2023 as a home game, no doubt early in the season until the stand is finished (cha-ching!!) and they have requested the rest of their home games towards the back end of the season in front of a full stadium (a miles bigger cha-ching than a full MCG every single time!!!!!).

They're going into bat for themselves and let's just see how much harder they push for a Kardinia Park game against Collingwood in 2024 at the end of next year.

In the meantime, some fans are happy to drop games against the likes of the Aints and Norf by playing home games at the oppositions home ground. Or putting ourselves in weakened/neutralised positions against teams who have huge home ground advantages, like our West Coast loss this year.

If the Scum and Filth want to play us at the G, then that's on them, but I'd rather see a mostly uncompromised draw, including us playing at GMHBA.

Those who are defeatist on this topic need to get their mindset away from the equalisation policy of the AFL that has been drummed into us for years. They want us to be the Smith Street Subway franchise, churning out the same generic stuff as everyone else, with everyone getting a premiership sub every 18 years.

But the Cats have clearly said "* that" and so should we. Don't ever breach the rules, but try unrelentlessly to extract every last competitive advantage from every nook and cranny available. It's why Conno's vision to maximise our position as a Club through his digital and marketing expertise is best for us going into next year, especially with a new AFL admin in place.

Have Kardinia Park's dimensions changed?

Playing more at KP and less at the G might help their ladder position - but I think it'll cost them flags in the long run, as the less you play at the G the less prepared you are.

That's your point of view, Shill, but objectively speaking, we've managed to get a meaningful vote for all voting members for two years running instead of us being of us collectively subject to "the faction of Ed" for the 24th consecutive year.

Your claim that those you've mentioned relying on parochialism to stir up feeling is merely you latching onto some of the more trivial ideas like what you've quoted. How about focussing more on what the candidates can meaningfully do about big things rather than that, because if you focus on these less important issues at hand, it all seems lame.

I'm keen to know what "power and influence" you think Conno, Frank, Pete or Paul Tuddenham got from speaking up last year and getting involved in change. I doubt any of them even got a free President's lunch or have more than a cursory influence over Browne, who is his own man.

FWIW, I randomly met Paul Tuddenham in a business capacity recently. He said there was never a more ill-equipped Board for life post-Eddie, as there was never a succession plan (partly due to Ed's farewell lap being cut short). And Paul should know, because he was inside the Club as President of the Past Players. So he backed meaningful change last year as a result, which you view as "faction" but would be better described as "function". Smart and successful people with a passion stepping up when needed then and stepping up now at this year's election. I've never felt more united than season 2022 (save to a few grumpy holdouts!).

And how are you talking about "factions" anyway. Rosen was interviewed for the Board last year by both the Korda / Murphy led admin and was the current Board recommendation this time. He's a superstar and would have been great, but sadly he can't commit at this time. He had nothing to do with the EGM push or Browne ticket whatsoever. So what is the "faction" that you speak of? Are all 11 current candidates in the "faction"? Too much fiction...

There ain't the backroom clicks playing pool and punching darts on the old Social Club's sticky carpets looking to knife others for power, pre-Ed. We can leave that to the Filth and Princess Park who have an almost yearly EGM push! We members enacted our constitution last year under sufferance. Nobody wanted to do it, but it had to happen. Where you see factions, I see democracy at work for the first time in a quarter of a century, a bit of argy bargy and us quickly resorting to the 'side by side' ethos, with even the opposition envious of our collective support. Sorry if that's too heavy on the "base parochialism", but it's absolutely true!

FWIW, your claims on the Do Better report and pride guernsey are demonstrably incorrect as detailed above by Mike and knowing a couple of the people that you've mentioned, it's completely untrue. I think you need to Do Better!
It'd be nice if Conno could reply to me just once rather than have you speak on his behalf and liking your response. I think it's at least twice I have replied to him directly and been ignored.

Member Experience
To double down on my membership focus, I have no target in mind as I think 80K engaged members are better than 110K members who have a scarf in a drawer at home.

Enjoying your input into the thread SeanC

The thing about member count is that it’s easy to report. We can be assured that it’ll be a line item in the board pack every month. It’ll likely be a topic of discussion at some board meetings (especially with the new President having come in at the start of the year) “How are we going with our plans to increase the membership from X to Y?” - the number keeps going up, everybody is happy, and maybe nobody is bothered to look too deeply into the number of pet memberships.

Measuring membership count is easier than membership engagement.

Question: if you are successful and get on the board, what metrics would you put in place to measure membership engagement?

Home game attendance would seem to be an obvious one, what would the others be? And how would you use those metrics to drive staff behaviour / strategy / programs?

Last edited:
Re. the underlined: something rather than nothing. If you do nothing and throw your hands in the air stating that agreements with the MCC/Marvel have hamstrung us, well, we'd still be forcing interstate teams to play interstate finals (other than the Granny) at the MCG. You do nothing, you get nothing!

The club haven’t been doing nothing - that’s how we ended up with ANZAC Day (admittedly that was more Sheedy), QB (admittedly that was more Melbourne), and the Swans game.

I feel qualified to vote for a parliamentarian, but voting for a club board member leaves me flummoxed.

I've read the candidate profiles, which weren't especially illuminating.

Times like this I understand the Russian preference for something authoritarian.

I feel qualified to vote for a parliamentarian, but voting for a club board member leaves me flummoxed.

Times like this I understand the Russian preference for something authoritarian.
Bring back Eddie ’The Russian’ McGuire.

What I’d prefer to see from a board member / board candidate is something like putting together a multidisciplinary expert advisory group who can (1) drive a practical innovation program (2) drive a learning and development program.
Funny you should mention this - this is precisely what I've spoken to the board about.

A Marketing and Innovation Sub-Committee
This sub-committee should answer to the board, and be comprised of myself as Chair, and six other people, basically three from marketing, and three drawn from technology/innovation.

The terms of this committee are as yet undefined, but I'd be keen to get your POV.

My thinking is:
To drive goals, objectives, strategies and measures around marketing, fanbase engagement, and club advancement through innovation and technology.

I've already spoken to a number of people about taking on a volunteer role, and three are already committed if I'm elected. I want people who are really smart, and also people who might one day be potential board nominees themselves. This sub-committee might ideally become a training and succession on-ramp for future board members.

FWIW, I think we should also set up the same structure around medicine and science, and people development and culture.

VOTE CON "CONNO" FRANTZESKOS: www.magpie.army

Hi Shill!
Is there any chance you'd like to address some of the concerns I have? I mean you have some pretty powerful backers, the likes of Francis Galbally, Peter Katsambanis... Rohancct on Twitter for Christ's sake. It all seems like a power grab, and it seems a bit more than coincidence that you all were behind that installation of the entire Browne ticket last year.

It'd be nice if Conno could reply to me just once rather than have you speak on his behalf and liking your response. I think it's at least twice I have replied to him directly and been ignored.
Mate, you did literally just say:

Conno, Katsambanis and Galbally all feel like only they know what is best for Collingwood to the exclusion of all others and are merely after power and influence over Collingwood. If they had their way, the club never would have commissioned a Do Better report and would never develop a pride guernsey for the AFL because all those are just examples of how football is "woke" and doing those things keeps Collingwood from winning flags somehow.
That was completely disproven by Mike Olitopro referring you to Con's statement on that matter here:

So if you don't think that he's giving you the attention that you deserve, then perhaps you might like to consider that he is giving you the attention that you deserve!

Further to this, I recall a tweet from another person above that you called out as being anti-Do Better report:

1668814436307.png

Sounds positive to me with regards to the report and respectful to Eddie' contribution too. Dunno why you want to infer that those you've mentioned are either racist, homophobes, anti-progress or whatever, but it's a pretty poor reflection on you to be honest!

Is there any chance you'd like to address some of the concerns I have? I mean you have some pretty powerful backers, the likes of Francis Galbally, Peter Katsambanis... Rohancct on Twitter for Christ's sake. It all seems like a power grab, and it seems a bit more than coincidence that you all were behind that installation of the entire Browne ticket last year.

As for your claim of a "power grab", Con's been on the radar for a Board position for a long time going back into the Eddie era and even the brief Korda era. He's very well credentialed for the role. Of course he's going to know lots of Collingwood people and get positive feedback. But he's not endorsed by the Board, so it's hardly a conspiracy.

Tuddenham backed Browne last year too, but again, does not have an endorsement.

I've got no issue with the likes of Dan Rosen being put forward by the Board. They should do work in sounding out good options and it's unfortunate that he had to withdraw.

But now it's an open election and knowing Conno, he doesn't want power; he just wants to enact some meaningful change in an area that we're in the dark ages with and can really capitalise on with our numbers and recent upswing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Marketing and Innovation Sub-Committee
This sub-committee should answer to the board, and be comprised of myself as Chair, and six other people, basically three from marketing, and three drawn from technology/innovation.

The terms of this committee are as yet undefined, but I'd be keen to get your POV.

Thanks conno , appreciate candidates engaging with us here.

Re: My POV …

… IMO the devil would be in the detail, and there are ways it can work well, and ways that it can be unconstructive.

… I’d begin by looking at the club’s 12 person anti-racism expert group and how that functions. What works well with that, and what doesn’t work so well?

I could well imagine a club subcommittee could easily degenerate into a bunch of people tossing a stack of harebrained ideas at the people who do the actual work, for them to bat away.

However, if the subcommittee has an oversight role I see that as a good chance to be effective. Perhaps they review policies, procedures, training materials? Perhaps they help set organisational goals and have input into budget and resourcing? Perhaps they send regular reports to the board on how they see progress towards meeting goals? I could see all that being effective.

So, about a ‘Marketing and Innovation subcommittee’ in particular, I’d imagine it’d work best if the committee was doing less peddling their favourite tech-fad-du-jour and more supporting a culture of innovation (in the way the anti-racism expert group would be supporting a culture of anti-racism)

Last edited:
Please explain to me how Conno‘s desire to be on the board is any more of a power grab than Paul Tuddenham, Matthew Ganley, Sean Callanan or any other candidate?

I dont vote so I dont matter, but I read the candidate's stuff and some of their stuff on here and the thing that I noticed that they spend a lot of time talking about what they've done in life and the processes that they want to put in place at the club - the structures and the like. Some of them talk about visions and very general stuff but very few say specifics.

Most people who invent things want to fix a specific problem and know exactly what is missing. I cant see how people can talk about a lack of engagement or other general stuff and cant be specific. You want more music between goals? You want the guys dressed up in colourful uniforms? Do you want more beers at the bar? Not having run for a position, my understanding is that you shouldnt say anything specific or you will piss people off. I can understand the strategy but all I see are a lot of words and motherhood statements about connections with fans etc.

I havent forensically analysed every statement. Ive read all the candidate stuff on the Pie site. After a while all the generalities bore me. Thats my take anyway. As I said, I dont matter.

I dont vote so I dont matter, but I read the candidate's stuff and some of their stuff on here and the thing that I noticed that they spend a lot of time talking about what they've done in life and the processes that they want to put in place at the club - the structures and the like. Some of them talk about visions and very general stuff but very few say specifics.

Most people who invent things want to fix a specific problem and know exactly what is missing. I cant see how people can talk about a lack of engagement or other general stuff and cant be specific. You want more music between goals? You want the guys dressed up in colourful uniforms? Do you want more beers at the bar? Not having run for a position, my understanding is that you shouldnt say anything specific or you will piss people off. I can understand the strategy but all I see are a lot of words and motherhood statements about connections with fans etc.

I havent forensically analysed every statement. Ive read all the candidate stuff on the Pie site. After a while all the generalities bore me. Thats my take anyway. As I said, I dont matter.
That's a board. I don't know how a footy club board works, but generally the board of an organisation aren't responsible for coming up with solutions - they just approve or deny other's ideas - based on whether they fit the realm of the board's general vision or as you put it - motherhood statements. You're essentially voting for a general vision and not the nuts and bolts.

That's a board. I don't know how a footy club board works, but generally the board of an organisation aren't responsible for coming up with solutions - they just approve or deny other's ideas - based on whether they fit the realm of the board's general vision or as you put it - motherhood statements. You're essentially voting for a general vision and not the nuts and bolts.

Well I dont think that's exactly right. THey mightnt tell the PR dept to play music between goals but they will sanction a more USA type experience. They will sanction a team of people rolling a giant magpie onto the ground and a dance review.
They will sanction a larger focus on non-melbourne members. I could go on. The staff will deal with the specifics but the board is going to guide the direction.

I personally think the board has spoken to the football side about engaging more indigenous players. I have no evidence of that but I think that might be the case. Of course, the footy side might have initiated in response to the report, but what comes first - chicken or egg?...

At any rate, do people join boards to put processes in place? Do they join board to make motherhood statements? What crap is that. They might join to further their business interests. They might join to get the catering in the legend's lounge. Or they might join to get a beer at the bar. People dont join boards to make motherhood statements.

Let me add a bit. You ask a candidate why they are putting themselves forward and they say they want to improve the fan day experience or they want to use technology. Ok, but what specifically do you have in mind. How would it operate? If you're nominating then you must have thought about it a bit. You must have a plan. Not just the committees that you are going to set up but the ultimate goal. I'm waiting for someone to say that they want to make the Pies great again.....and that they want to stop people crossing the mexican boarder. I dont see the connection.

Let me add a bit. You ask a candidate why they are putting themselves forward and they say they want to improve the fan day experience or they want to use technology. Ok, but what specifically do you have in mind. How would it operate? If you're nominating then you must have thought about it a bit. You must have a plan. Not just the committees that you are going to set up but the ultimate goal. I'm waiting for someone to say that they want to make the Pies great again.....and that they want to stop people crossing the mexican boarder. I dont see the connection.
I don't know at Collingwood, but generally a board is a very part-time gig, where they essentially set a general direction, hire management based on that direction and then tick off the plans of the full time managers running the show - once again based on that direction. Sure, you're going to want someone with marketing understanding who directs us toward an up-to-date style - but the nuts and bolts will be the responsibility of the company's full time marketing department, with the board giving them the go ahead or saying no to their plans. You don't want a board that comes in and tries to run the show. They're there to oversee the direction of those running the show.

Last edited:
Enjoying your input into the thread SeanC

The thing about member count is that it’s easy to report. We can be assured that it’ll be a line item in the board pack every month. It’ll likely be a topic of discussion at some board meetings (especially with the new President having come in at the start of the year) “How are we going with our plans to increase the membership from X to Y?” - the number keeps going up, everybody is happy, and maybe nobody is bothered to look too deeply into the number of pet memberships.

Measuring membership count is easier than membership engagement.

Question: if you are successful and get on the board, what metrics would you put in place to measure membership engagement?

Home game attendance would seem to be an obvious one, what would the others be? And how would you use those metrics to drive staff behaviour / strategy / programs?

Attendance (aka show rate) is the obvious one that requires a shift in marketing focus to ensure members turn up and then investigate why they don't.
Other member engagement metrics include - digital engagement (emails, social, etc), event attendance (functions, etc)
I'd also like some customer service metrics - length of time to respond, staff required by 1000 members
From a financial point of view, analysing and maximising revenue per member - ticket, merch, events - to determine if membership offer is providing value for members and club alike. There may be some members willing to pay much more, and there may more members ready to purchase at a lower price point.

Just some insights and ideas I'd suggest that the front office staff are most likely looking at.

Well I dont think that's exactly right. THey mightnt tell the PR dept to play music between goals but they will sanction a more USA type experience. They will sanction a team of people rolling a giant magpie onto the ground and a dance review.
They will sanction a larger focus on non-melbourne members. I could go on. The staff will deal with the specifics but the board is going to guide the direction.

I personally think the board has spoken to the football side about engaging more indigenous players. I have no evidence of that but I think that might be the case. Of course, the footy side might have initiated in response to the report, but what comes first - chicken or egg?...

At any rate, do people join boards to put processes in place? Do they join board to make motherhood statements? What crap is that. They might join to further their business interests. They might join to get the catering in the legend's lounge. Or they might join to get a beer at the bar. People dont join boards to make motherhood statements.

I agree. Boards are there to govern, not implement.

My interactions with boards have been presenting business strategies for the board to dissect, review & challenge and eventually if it is a good business strategy, approve the direction.

I'd expect GW to present a football strategy and other front-office staff to present projects to further the overall goals of the club.

If I'm asked for my opinion on my expertise, I will share it, but it isn't the expectation to work on projects they have expertise on.

I don't think my skillset understanding sports fans and global sports business trends can help the board understand innovative opportunities that may be presented to them.

I will bring my experience as a member to the board as I don't think many of the board have sat with Collingwood members in a long while.

Sean C is my man.
Better beer and shorter wait times in the Legends Bar.
That’s a campaign we can all get behind!

I agree. Boards are there to govern, not implement.

My interactions with boards have been presenting business strategies for the board to dissect, review & challenge and eventually if it is a good business strategy, approve the direction.

I'd expect GW to present a football strategy and other front-office staff to present projects to further the overall goals of the club.

If I'm asked for my opinion on my expertise, I will share it, but it isn't the expectation to work on projects they have expertise on.

I don't think my skillset understanding sports fans and global sports business trends can help the board understand innovative opportunities that may be presented to them.

I will bring my experience as a member to the board as I don't think many of the board have sat with Collingwood members in a long while.

But Sean, the board is overseeing the do better report, for example and GW is not involved in implementing it. Sure the new CEO will oversee GW, but the current board has skin in the game when it comes to indigenous matters. Do they have an input into day to day matters? Certainly how the policy is implemented, if not the detail of the policy. Will that mean employing indigenous players as consultants? Well that has happened already. Is the board making those decisions or is the CEO doing it on his own or under direction?

And what would your role be as a board member with less expertise? Leave it to the other board members to overview? Not vote?

I seems to me that those with skin in the game get involved and people like yourself stand back. Very unofficial. WHich is ironic because we're trying to put in place clear structures to prove to the world that we're doing the right thing.

So I suppose it gets down to the question that you're a nice bloke who has had some experience with board matters and we trust that youre going to make decisions based on you being a good bloke and on advice from the members that you might rub shoulders with.

btw nothing personal with your candidancy

Last edited:
Your concerns are unclear. I sit on a range of boards and my record on those boards is excellent.

I’m a passionate Pies man and I’ve worked with the Club for many, many years. As a result I’ve become known by many directors, and advised many from time to time.

I was in the final five director interviews in 2021 that ended up selecting Neil Wilson and Bridie O’Donnell. At the point, I had many, many Pies fans saying: “You NEED to save our Club”. I totally agreed, and pushed very hard with many people to affect change.

And I’m extremely proud of that. The changes around the Club are testament to that push. And there are more changes to come.

But as good as the board is, there are some clear gaps. The Club has told me they are spending a lot of money in marketing, communications, fanbase development and the like, but don’t have a Director with my skills, so sime from the board have personally asked me to run (again, as have many, many Pies fans).

So here I am. And I hope you and others vote for me. If you are interested in my vision (not sure you have read it given your posts) here it is: Pies Forever - My Vision | Con Frantzeskos Collingwood Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back