Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

As for religion, I'm happy for the club to send out a generic 'festive' message during holiday periods, but I really don't want it to 'embrace' or even bother to acknowledge the various cults and their various observances.
One of the issues has always been the complete disrespect for Aboriginal cultural belief systems and unifying traditions and dismissing them as cultish - or something similar.

One of the issues has always been the complete disrespect for Aboriginal cultural belief systems and unifying traditions and dismissing them as cultish - or something similar.

I don't think it has been a big part of the problem at all. I don't think many people in this country --let alone the rednecks-- have given much thought at all to the belief systems of Indigenous people!

Feel free to chuck me on ignore if you don't like my views or scepticism towards your boys.
I'm all for alternate views and a scepticism, but it's the second time that you've jumped on what can only be described as a throwaway random factoid from Con and you're making out like he's an anti-Palestinian, Zionist, card-carrying member of the Illuminati!

It's about the equivalent of my cousin running for the Board putting in a random fact that he has met the King of England whilst wearing a $6 Kmart tracksuit (true story!) and you inferring that he is therefore a staunch monarchist, anti-republican and does not stand in solidarity with First Nations people.

We should probably focus more on Club-related matters, such as the quality of beer on game day and the continually diminishing quality of the member-pack fridge magnets!

I don't think it has been a big part of the problem at all. I don't think many people in this country --let alone the rednecks-- have given much thought at all to the belief systems of Indigenous people!
You don't think the complete dismissal of Aboriginal belief systems and cultural practices has been significant in this country? Interesting take.

You don't think the complete dismissal of Aboriginal belief systems and cultural practices has been significant in this country? Interesting take.

I think this discussion is a tangent. I'm quite happy to exit from it, 'interesting take' in hand.

maybe the candidates should have to put the name of their party in brackets after their name.... or maybe something that defines them - right, hard right, woke, leftie...

Palestinians being taken advantage of from Israelis.
Pretty obvious really.

maybe the candidates should have to put the name of their party in brackets after their name.... or maybe something that defines them - right, hard right, woke, leftie...

Would certainly tell us more about a candidate than 'I'm a lifelong Pies man'.

Would certainly tell us more about a candidate than 'I'm a lifelong Pies man'.

I agree. Except for christine holgate and a few other ring-ins, I would think the majority of pie supporters are lifelong. I dont even remember why i picked the club because my parents were very loose tiger supporters...... which is why I can't put my name forward as a candidate...

Last edited:
good news from the front line at election headquarters...it seems that emirates airlines has planted its own candidate in the mix. Rumour has it that, after he is elected, he will force the board to shut all the bars at the mcg on match day.....

My take is that the Club still hasn’t done enough to openly advocate for anti-racism.

I raised this with Jodie Sizer. We’re doing great work, but where is our thinking around cultures, eg: We have a lot of Eastern Orthodox fans (Greek, etc). Let’s ensure we don’t play on Greek Easter Sunday or Good Friday. Let’s say “Eid Mubarak” at the end of Ramadan on social media AND “Happy Easter!”. It’s about looking at our fanbase and thinking: How do we really make everyone feel at home here?

Appreciate you engaging with us members in the discussion …

I reckon games should be scheduled to be on at times and days that maximises the opportunity for fans to enjoy. Personally, I also think it’s good to maximise diversity in the crowd in all its forms - in some parts of the world going to the football means that you’re a white middle aged male. I love that families go to our game, guys and girls, young and old, and it‘s largely representative of society. So if achieving that means not scheduling games to clash with other events - then sure, clubs and the AFL do that all the time. But it’s not possible to please everybody all the time, we’re a secular society, and if it comes to choosing between a clash with a religious holiday or a clash with the Kardashians - the fixture organisers will want to understand the impact of each of those options before deciding.

The footy should be an environment where anybody who wants to clap and cheer, be social, and watch the footy should feel comfortable and welcome.

As for actively embracing cultural customs … society in general and our club in particular are going through a process of reconciliation with our country’s indigenous peoples and I personally think that is an appropriate area of focus. But if Magpies Media want to put together a piece on players choosing to do a feast of Eid, then cool with me (as long as it is player driven - the players are in a privileged position). If the club or AFL want to have a diversity round then totally cool with me but I understand that’s not everybody’s cup of tea. If the official club’s twitter account (or whatever the twitter replacement will be) tweets out happy holiday wishes to all good people in its membership and fanbase …

… if it’s not divisive nor going to offend somebody else, and sometimes that can be a big ‘if’ …

… then sure, why not? Do we need to go further than any of that?

Last edited:
Appreciate you engaging with us members in the discussion …

I reckon games should be scheduled to be on at times and days that maximises the opportunity for fans to enjoy. Personally, I also think it’s good to maximise diversity in the crowd in all its forms - in some parts of the world going to the football means that you’re a white middle aged male. I love that families go to our game, guys and girls, young and old, and it‘s largely representative of society. So if achieving that means not scheduling games to clash with other events - then sure, clubs and the AFL do that all the time. But it’s not possible to please everybody all the time, we’re a secular society, and if it comes to choosing between a clash with a religious holiday or a clash with the Kardashians - the fixture organisers will want to understand the impact of each of those options before deciding.

The footy should be an environment where anybody who wants to clap and cheer, be social, and watch the footy should feel comfortable and welcome.

As for actively embracing cultural customs … society in general and our club in particular are going through a process of reconciliation with our country’s indigenous peoples and I personally think that is an appropriate area of focus. But if Magpies Media want to put together a piece on players choosing to do a feast of Eid, then cool with me (as long as it is player driven - the players are in a privileged position). If the club or AFL want to have a diversity round then totally cool with me but I understand that’s not everybody’s cup of tea. If the official club’s twitter account (or whatever the twitter replacement will be) tweets out happy holiday wishes to all good people in its membership and fanbase …

… if it’s not divisive nor going to offend somebody else, and sometimes that can be a big ‘if’ …

… then sure, why not? Do we need to go further than any of that?

I think muslims and indigenous people and people from africa and anyone else should be able to participate in the club either playing or watching and not have someone try to exclude them. However, I dont think footy is a place to learn about other cultures or religions. Its about footy. I'm generally fascinated by why people choose to follow religious practices but it wasnt until a couple of days ago that I found out that a feast of eid even existed. I might take time one day to find out more, but not while I'm watching footy. I watch footy to watch footy. I go to the Pie site to find out about footy. It is a football experience. If the club makes reference to christmas, I hope its only on the terms that it is a period to have family dinners and exchange gifts. I dont want a commercial for christianity. The same goes for all the other things that people are trying to attach to footy including ANZAC stuff. As I see it, its a footy experience and I'd like to keep it that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wondering what Conno's thoughts are on the club hypothetically using social media to express solidarity with Palestinians given his excitement over having shared drinks with Benjamin Netanyahu.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given I’ve got a business in the Middle East, have had a number of Palestinians on my staff (and Iranians, Saudis and Lebanese), and have visited and/or conducted business in most of that area - including Israel - I’m pretty comfortable with my words and actions.

And it’s this global, inclusive, multicultural and anti-racist approach that I’ll bring to the board.

BTW, intolerance and racism occurs in all types of contexts - from racism against indigenous Australians to ignorance of religious and cultural norms. I make it my life’s mission to embrace all. It’s the only way to be successful and happy.

I think muslims and indigenous people and people from africa and anyone else should be able to participate in the club either playing or watching and not have someone try to exclude them. However, I dont think footy is a place to learn about other cultures or religions. Its about footy. I'm generally fascinated by why people choose to follow religious practices but it wasnt until a couple of days ago that I found out that a feast of eid even existed. I might take time one day to find out more, but not while I'm watching footy. I watch footy to watch footy. I go to the Pie site to find out about footy. It is a football experience. If the club makes reference to christmas, I hope its only on the terms that it is a period to have family dinners and exchange gifts. I dont want a commercial for christianity. The same goes for all the other things that people are trying to attach to footy including ANZAC stuff. As I see it, its a footy experience and I'd like to keep it that way.
Agree

And it’s this global, inclusive, multicultural and anti-racist approach that I’ll bring to the board.

This sounds pretty ambiguous. Given that you're suggesting to add something to the board which isn't already there, it'd be good to know what something like this actually means in practice.

I'd like to add that having employees of different races and cultures doesn't really testify to your appreciation of or sympathy for those diverse experiences.

To be honest, Con, I wouldn't hold it against you for not responding to these sorts of questions. There are 9 other candidates who aren't willing to subject themselves to this sort of scrutiny, and --even though I suspect my politics differs from yours-- I appreciate your willingness to engage as much as you have.

This sounds pretty ambiguous. Given that you're suggesting to add something to the board which isn't already there, it'd be good to know what something like this actually means in practice.

I'd like to add that having employees of different races and cultures doesn't really testify to your appreciation of or sympathy for those diverse experiences.

To be honest, Con, I wouldn't hold it against you for not responding to these sorts of questions. There are 9 other candidates who aren't willing to subject themselves to this sort of scrutiny, and --even though I suspect my politics differs from yours-- I appreciate your willingness to engage as much as you have.
Here’s some info on my vision and objectives. Let me know if there is anything else here you’d like me to explain: Pies Forever - My Vision | Con Frantzeskos Collingwood Board

Fair enough, incorrect interpretation on my part.

You want more detail on what the candidates will actually do, not just 'make Collingwood great again'. What is the actual how?

Is this more a correct interpretation Markfs?

SeanC and conno what are your thoughts?
As vague as this sounds, boards represent the members: and are there to set values, vision, strategy, key hires, and support and measure management on the journey.

The how is technically up to the management. We can hire, push, measure and sack if they don’t deliver.

However that’s not to say the board can’t have a point of view or expertise/custodianship in certain areas.

So as much as I’d love to say I’ll get beer X in the bar or get that player from Club Z, the reality is a high performing board doesn’t get involved in those specific decisions. Directors should inform, influence, listen, guide and ensure that the decisions made are in the best interests of the members. That is: A Club that brings pride through excellence and Flags.

A lot of values, policies and decisions are made to get there. The types of decisions and ideas I’ll support are here: Pies Forever - My Vision | Con Frantzeskos Collingwood Board

I believe a values-first approach is vital in any high performing organisation. I’ll fight for those values of PIES Forever.

Happy to get your thoughts on those values, ideas and directions.

As vague as this sounds, boards represent the members: and are there to set values, vision, strategy, key hires, and support and measure management on the journey.

The how is technically up to the management. We can hire, push, measure and sack if they don’t deliver.

However that’s not to say the board can’t have a point of view or expertise/custodianship in certain areas.

So as much as I’d love to say I’ll get beer X in the bar or get that player from Club Z, the reality is a high performing board doesn’t get involved in those specific decisions. Directors should inform, influence, listen, guide and ensure that the decisions made are in the best interests of the members. That is: A Club that brings pride through excellence and Flags.

A lot of values, policies and decisions are made to get there. The types of decisions and ideas I’ll support are here: Pies Forever - My Vision | Con Frantzeskos Collingwood Board

I believe a values-first approach is vital in any high performing organisation. I’ll fight for those values of PIES Forever.

Happy to get your thoughts on those values, ideas and directions.
Thanks Con for your reply.

As for the bulk of your reply I completely agree, let the bakers bake and if they don't bake satisfactorily then influence, push, guide or fire then rehire to get the results.

I like that you value premierships as the end game (if that is your allusion) for the members. 5 in 15 years should see us top of the heap - where we belong! I will say that is highly optimistic, given our past failures in the clubs control that have cost us at least 2 flags since our last what should've been dynasty.

The rest of it, from my point of view is a means to that end game, and If I were a betting man I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority wants flags for the main team - any other accolades and successes are an extra bonus.

If you and the rest of the club can pull that off then hats off.

Not sure how much detail of what exactly you'd do if elected you can provide, given that's really an unknown until you're elected.

Maybe start with explaining how one new board member will drive the decision-making and implementation that would be required to achieve the enormous scope outlined in your manifesto?
Because I know and have worked with the board in the past - and they have identified that my skillset is missing. We currently have a board that recognises that they need to do a lot more in my area of expertise.

Because I know and have worked with the board in the past - and they have identified that my skillset is missing. We currently have a board that recognises that they need to do a lot more in my area of expertise.

The ability to grab 5 flags in 20 years is a skillset that would be a great addition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not overly comfortable with some candidates now aligning themselves with the EGM push for change last year

- Why didn’t they come out of the woodwork last year? Why didn’t they stand late last year when it was an open field? Why now?

- One of the primary drivers behind the EGM push last year was perceived salary cap mismanagement. We traded out Grundy this year, even paying some of Grundy’s salary - what’s the difference?

- Another of their pushes was for democracy to be brought back to Collingwood - and yet the board this year under Jeff Browne persistent with the practice of parachuting their own candidate in. It’s only because they had to withdraw themselves that we have another open vote.

So what was it about then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back