Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Fair enough 76.
Slight worry that adults can’t work this out for themselves. Perhaps this is how government is formed.

I would have guessed that you’re somebody who votes pretty much along party lines in government elections? (Which is cool, but CFC board elections don’t have parties to make that process easier?)

I would have guessed that you’re somebody who votes pretty much along party lines in government elections? (Which is cool, but CFC board elections aren’t like that?)
I vote Labor. That’s it.

I’ve never voted at a Collingwood board election before.
I’m going to vote for whoever appeals. All I know right now, is that I’m voting for Holgate and not Browne.

Last edited:
Murphy not electing to run is exactly the reason why he'll be a big loss.

Putting the club first, not his ego and doing what he believes is in it's current best interests just like at the end of 2017 when he identified our football side could and should be performing better, woke us from our malaise and challenged the president, coach and football department to do better.

Thanks Peter. All class.

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

Link to original post …

Where’s the section on ‘managing the salary cap’?
I thought many posters listed that as a board responsibility.

Where’s the section on ‘managing the salary cap’?
I thought many posters listed that as a board responsibility.
A Board should be responsible for overseeing operations items, not managing them.
that should be left to the category experts hired to do that job.
The Board should establish KPIs and delegations to those employees including reporting expectations.
I feel confident this would have been done.
We just do not know about the timeliness or accuracy of those reports. Or the commentary around them.
My suspicion would be that by the time the board became aware of issues, the damage had been done.
This is evidenced to me by the change of significant personnel at the club. Something the Board would normally steer.

A Board should be responsible for overseeing operations items, not managing them.
that should be left to the category experts hired to do that job.
The Board should establish KPIs and delegations to those employees including reporting expectations.
I feel confident this would have been done.
We just do not know about the timeliness or accuracy of those reports. Or the commentary around them.
My suspicion would be that by the time the board became aware of issues, the damage had been done.
This is evidenced to me by the change of significant personnel at the club. Something the Board would normally steer.
May I ask if you support Browne? Not trying to be nosy, but would like to learn more about his intentions.

The silence from him is deafening.

I’m not a voting member but of the eleven candidates to fit into four spots….it doesn’t look to be a difficult decision.

Based on a brief look at the bios I’d quickly rule out th3 following

Perna
Cameron
Callahan
Moorhead
Febbraio
McDonald

So that leaves five

I’d definitely vote in
Holgate
Browne

Of the remaining three I see no need to dump the other incumbent so I’d keep
Wilson. This keeps Browne honest as he doesn’t get his full ticket up.

Last spot is between two Browne gang members, Robert’s and Carp.
I’d choose Roberts for her superior CV

I’m not a voting member but of the eleven candidates to fit into four spots….it doesn’t look to be a difficult decision.

Based on a brief look at the bios I’d quickly rule out th3 following

Why would you rule them out? (Not agreeing or disagreeing, just interested in your POV)

I’ve listed what I think seem to be the strengths of each candidate you’ve put a line through … (just chewing the fat) … what do you see as their weaknesses?

Police / Homicide background would probably give him strong foundation of problem solving

His consultancy seems to be across risk management, a key board function

Looks to have very strong background in integrity? Particularly in sporting areas (racing, tennis, basketball)

Has his AICD, so he’d have a strong idea of what is required as a board member

Is a Member of the order of Australia, which is a nice recognition for being an ‘upstanding citizen’

He seems like a real scary dude. Tell our players that if they ever screw up, he’s the number they call. Suddenly all our off-field dramas are gone.

Public health background likely helpful with our relationship with Monash

Projects as a strong values based person

Public Health background is probably a good fit for being on a Not-For-Profit board

Digital marketing fills a skills gap on our board

Focused on the fans and membership engagement

The “20 years living in rural, remote and international communities” - I’m sure many people would quickly read past that as being irrelevant - but for me that is a huge skill for somebody seeking to serve on our board. It likely provides them with a ability to relate to a wide Collingwood supporter base, and to see wide possibilities for the club.

Strong board experience, including not-for-profit. Given he’s singled out his NFP experience, it shows he understands the differences and challenges, which is a big plus

High performance background

Medical science background (PhD, working in research and academia)

Fills a skills gap on the board (oversight of sports science)

Community minded

Would bring youth to the board.

Community minded

Last edited:
Keeping an open mind on Browne.

Haven't been impressed by his lack of platform, but certainly looks like the most qualified candidate on paper.

I wonder if Browne will start communicating now? So far all he's offered is gutter politics, all while hiding behind a sympathetic media group leveraged through his contacts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holgate is on his ticket.
Yes…but you vote for the individuals.
Can choose any combination of the 11 candidates.
At this stage, I will vote for Holgate, probably Carp, Roberts or Cameron, plus one other (Still undecided).
Not Browne at the moment.

I contacted the two that provided details with a general match day question that was important to me. Both replied pretty quickly which was good even though I personally wasn’t happy with the answer from one of them.
I've contacted those two about their take on the Do Better report. Will post their responses when I get them.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you rule them out? (Not agreeing or disagreeing, just interested in your POV)

I’ve listed what I think seem to be the strengths of each candidate you’ve put a line through … (just chewing the fat) … what do you see as their weaknesses?

Police / Homicide background would probably give him strong foundation of problem solving

His consultancy seems to be across risk management, a key board function

Looks to have very strong background in integrity? Particularly in sporting areas (racing, tennis, basketball)

Is a Member of the order of Australia, which is a nice recognition for being an ‘upstanding citizen’

He seems like a real scary dude. Tell our players that if they ever screw up, he’s the number they call. Suddenly all our off-field dramas are gone.

Public health background likely helpful with our relationship with Monash

Projects as a strong values based person

Public Health background is probably a good fit for being on a Not-For-Profit board

Digital marketing fills a skills gap on our board

Focused on the fans and membership engagement

The “20 years living in rural, remote and international communities” - I’m sure many people would quickly read past that as being irrelevant - but for me that is a huge skill for somebody seeking to serve on our board. It likely provides them with a ability to relate to a wide Collingwood supporter base, and to see wide possibilities for the club.

Strong board experience, including not-for-profit. Given he’s singled out his NFP experience, it shows he understands the differences and challenges, which is a big plus

High performance background

Medical science background (PhD, working in research and academia)

Fills a skills gap on the board (oversight of sports science)

Community minded

Would bring youth to the board.

Community minded

Febbraio with the medical science background would be a good addition following the loss of O'Donnell.

Yes…but you vote for the individuals.
Can choose any combination of the 11 candidates.
At this stage, I will vote for Holgate, probably Carp, Roberts or Cameron, plus one other (Still undecided).
Not Browne at the moment.

I have lost a lot of respect for Holgate. She stuffed up the process (including eligibility + background checks and communication) regarding the O'Donnel and Wilson appointments. That created the wedge for Browne and cohort to jimmy open. She then switched allegences which is a bit rough given her own mistakes. She let the fox in the henhouse.

I have lost a lot of respect for Holgate. She stuffed up the process (including eligibility + background checks and communication) regarding the O'Donnel and Wilson appointments. That created the wedge for Browne and cohort to jimmy open. She then switched allegences which is a bit rough given her own mistakes. She let the fox in the henhouse.
That’s a bit dramatic Q

It's not. Holgate oversaw a process that gave the Browne camp the most ammunition. I find it a bit rich for her to then switch sides.
Why not? Men do it all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back