Toast Presidency and The Board

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m fairly certain Browne is his own person and has forged his own successful career.
I actually think his close relationship with McGuire will be a positive if anything. Eddie has many great ideas and really a great thinker about the game and it’s future direction. Browne can pick his brain and make his own decisions from these discussions.

Having said that, I’m actually indifferent to him. I think he could have made his push end of the season rather than destabilise the club during the year.

Was Eddie a great thinker when he insisted that Dayne Beams return to the club, contrary to the judgement of the football department?

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was Eddie a great thinker when he insisted that Dayne Beams return to the club, contrary to the judgement of the football department?
If you read my post again, you may decipher a thinker of the ‘game’ from encroaching and forcing the club to bring back Beams.
And I am did say Browne is his own man. If you think Eddie did nothing for the club over his tenure, then you’re not being honest with yourself.

And finally, if Eddie did ‘force’ the football department to take Beams (do we know 100% this to be fact or is it speculation?), then it says something about people in there who simply roll over. Maybe the same people wanted Beams and Eddie helped get him?

What’s happening with the term limits or is that off the agenda now

Callinan … As long as we continue with the members voting for board seats, term limits are no longer so important *

Browne (+Roberts, Holgate, Carp) … Is supporting some constitutional change (eg: expanding eligibility) but term limits are not part of his platform

Febbraio … As far as I can tell, he seems to treat the constitution as being it is what it is, and I haven’t seen him express any support for constitutional reform.

Others … don‘t know.

* I disagree with Callanan on this for a stack of reasons

(1) At elections candidates can use their incumbency to hold onto power. Consider Ed as an example, he effectively defined the Collingwood Presidency in his own image (not a criticism). Consider all the angst over Korda. IMO, a lot of his unpopularity was that people felt he was a poor version of Ed (even those who wanted Ed gone). They expected somebody who had charisma and a public profile (like Ed) despite there being no evidence that it’s a requirement for success. Look around at the successful footy clubs and their President’s profile.

(2) Giving a leader a deadline focuses their attention.

(3) There become periods where is no risk of the leader making decisions to simply get re-elected (but rather, hopefully, focusing solely on the best interests of the organisation)

(4) Term limits limit the amount of stuff that can be swept under the rug and left to accumulate and stink.

Last edited:
Eddie must have been elected unopposed at least twice after making that mistake...

Once. Feb 2020 AGM. Not a mistake worth kicking out the President over IMO. Collingwood is about to go into a very tumultuous period in it’s history if that becomes the bar below where we toss out the President.

I think a better question would be “how many times was he re-elected unopposed after the pubs fiasco?”

And finally, if Eddie did ‘force’ the football department to take Beams (do we know 100% this to be fact or is it speculation?), then it says something about people in there who simply roll over. Maybe the same people wanted Beams and Eddie helped get him?

I agree with your point, that none of us really knows how the decision making worked around Beams.

But fair to say that when our President invites himself into any meeting and bangs the table and says that he is the representative of the members who pay their dues to pay the salaries, and this is what he wants to happen …

… our President is on solid ground and our constitution backs him up (Article 50(b) )

So even though we don‘t really know how the decision around Beams worked, it’s not unreasonable that the President, as the most senior person, should take responsibility for it

We haven’t seen much from Sal Perna, but here’s a recent interview with him. It’s not at all Collingwood related (it’s about integrity in racing) but you can get a sense of him in this.

You’ll also add to the 41 views in 7 months that this videos has had:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Once. Feb 2020 AGM. Not a mistake worth kicking out the President over IMO. Collingwood is about to go into a very tumultuous period in it’s history if that becomes the bar below where we toss out the President.

I think a better question would be “how many times was he re-elected unopposed after the pubs fiasco?”

i wasnt saying that him verballing the footy dept to get beams was worthy of not re-electing him, but there's a lot of people huffing and puffing about Eddie's negatives in retrospect and not one member over a 20 year period had the backbone to say something about it. Frankly, I've had a gutful of the whining. No wonder we dont win premierships.

As for the pubs thing, supposedly we get these lofty well credentialed suits in because they know everything about business and can run the club so lowly cretin supporters like ourselves can just enjoy the footy..... well so much for that theory.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We haven’t seen much from Sal Perna, but here’s a recent interview with him. It’s not at all Collingwood related (it’s about integrity in racing) but you can get a sense of him in this.

You’ll also add to the 41 views in 7 months that this videos has had:

trillions on illegal gaming and 50 views on youtube....lol.... i hope the perns sees the irony

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
One last comment about board composition... I read yesterday that the racing guy who made the board, was headhunted by a professional organisation paid for by the Collingwood board. Evidently he was assured that he qualified.

It makes me think that a failure like myself is perfectly qualified to join a board, when I dont need any skills. If when I'm tasked with finding replacement directors, I could merely hand the procedure over to an outside organisation to do it (not very well, it seems, on two occasions). Why not outsource the process of finding sponsorship?? It would mean that directors wouldnt be required to be business people, but only people who have a shred of common sense.

But enough dreaming. There is only one guy who can be president at the moment and actually wants it. Judging him on the basis of his relationship with Eddie, is about as useful as judging Korda by his media skills. Put him in and give him the keys and see how well he drives the car. If he stuffs up, then ban him for life.

One last comment about board composition... I read yesterday that the racing guy who made the board, was headhunted by a professional organisation paid for by the Collingwood board. Evidently he was assured that he qualified.

He did qualify!

If he didn’t, then how is he able to run for the upcoming election?!?

It makes me think that a failure like myself is perfectly qualified to join a board, when I dont need any skills.

… apart from convincing a high portion of the 13,000 voting members that you‘re up to it? Sure.

If when I'm tasked with finding replacement directors, I could merely hand the procedure over to an outside organisation to do it (not very well, it seems, on two occasions).

Nothing wrong with the recruiting process. The problem was (a) the board not publicly declaring the status of the two candidates, and (b) the board not defending their own two selections when those selections came under heat.

Why not outsource the process of finding sponsorship??

They probably do?

There are organisations that provide those services.

It would mean that directors wouldnt be required to be business people, …

A footy club is a business?

There is only one guy who can be president at the moment and actually wants it. Judging him on the basis of his relationship with Eddie, is about as useful as judging Korda by his media skills. Put him in and give him the keys and see how well he drives the car. If he stuffs up, then ban him for life.

Oh, you’re missing Waitslitz. You’re pining for your next piñata!

Last edited:

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with your point, that none of us really knows how the decision making worked around Beams.

But fair to say that when our President invites himself into any meeting and bangs the table and says that he is the representative of the members who pay their dues to pay the salaries, and this is what he wants to happen …

… our President is on solid ground and our constitution backs him up (Article 50(b) )

So even though we don‘t really know how the decision around Beams worked, it’s not unreasonable that the President, as the most senior person, should take responsibility for it
No doubt Eddie has his faults. I agree there should be term limits, as the president can get too comfortable and begin thinking it’s his/her own club.
However, my initial point was that Eddie is a visionary. He can contribute a lot to AFL and has. I’m sure there’s plenty he has helped the AFL with we don’t know about. He certainly seems to be highly respected by Gil and other presidents.
Being close to Eddie and maybe picking his brains for the betterment of the club is a positive.
And like I said, you wouldn’t think Browne is going to go in blind and agree with everything Eddie says.

No doubt Eddie has his faults. I agree there should be term limits, as the president can get too comfortable and begin thinking it’s his/her own club.
However, my initial point was that Eddie is a visionary. He can contribute a lot to AFL and has. I’m sure there’s plenty he has helped the AFL with we don’t know about. He certainly seems to be highly respected by Gil and other presidents.
Being close to Eddie and maybe picking his brains for the betterment of the club is a positive.
And like I said, you wouldn’t think Browne is going to go in blind and agree with everything Eddie says.

I agree that Ed is a visionary, is often unfairly maligned, and still has a lot to contribute.

But I also think that sometimes for an organisation to move forward they need to cut ties with the past.

And I also think that sometimes when people are anti-Browne because they see him as Ed mark II, they don’t necessarily mean that they’re mates, it’s more “Another old school white guy”.

Try this as an exercise, go have a look through all the candidate bio’s on the club website …

… and take special note of the young fresh faced bloke at the bottom of the list, Chris MacDonald. He’s exactly the same age as Ed was (33) when Ed was putting together a ticket around him to run for the board.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He did qualify!

If he didn’t, then how is he able to run for the upcoming election?!?

… apart from convincing a high portion of the 13,000 voting members that you‘re up to it? Sure.

Nothing wrong with the recruiting process. The problem was (a) the board not publicly declaring the status of the two candidates, and (b) the board not defending their own two selections when those selections came under heat.

They probably do?

There are organisations that provide those services.

A footy club is a business?

Oh, you’re missing Waitslitz. You’re pining for your next piñata!

evidently the racing guy was an AFL member....

the recruiting of "drop in" directors requires them to be legends members etc for 2 years....and the WB fan didnt meet that criteria. Has old age got to you?

As for the club being a business, you consistently misread when I am putting forward the current status of what the people in charge are telling members..... and in this case, it's that the only people who can be directors are business people....people in suits and other power dressing ensembles. I was making the proposition that you dont need these people if you are going to subcontract the skills that these people supposedly have.

As for alex, I dont think anyone realised that he has left. He got 20 years of putting his vice presidency status on media releases and now he has gone on to bigger and better PR exercises in global citizen. Did we ever get that $10m? WHo knows. Money well spent? Money never spent well spent? And Jeff says that he wants a crew of passionate people on the board.....lol.....pleaseeeeeeeee. I hate comics who regurgitate the same material

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gee, Jeff Browne is getting a great run by the media. “Jeff Browne has bold ambitions for the Pies” …

… that may be true, but all that was said in that clip is that he thinks we’re a few years away from talking about a Premiership, we’re around a year away from having our Salary cap being in order, and he plans for board member(s) to sit with the fans.

Where are the bold plans?!? (No criticism intended of Browne here, it’s channel 7 (in this case) pumping up his tyres!)

Yeah, of course he is the favourite, I wonder if the media are trying to curry favour?

evidently the racing guy was an AFL member....

MCC member. (Your favourite?) He still doesn’t meet the 24 month clause in the constitution. But that doesn’t matter because he can be admitted by another clause in the constitution. (But that should have been declared!). We’ve been over this before, that’s how your good buddy Alex Waitslitz got on the board without having Collingwood membership.

… the recruiting of "drop in" directors requires them to be legends members etc for 2 years....

No it does not.

We’ve been down this road before.

Many times. Many many times.

It’s how your good buddy Alex Waitslitz got on the board despite not being a member. It’s how Wilson will get back on the board if he is elected, despite (still) not being a CFC member for a period of at least 24 months.

Yeah, having 24 month CFC membership is one path for getting on the board.

But there are other paths. As Waitslitz did. As Wilson did and may do again. As O’Donnell did (legally).

The issue being is if a candidate is going to be put on the board using clause 25(b) then it should be checked by the board and declared to the membership. As was done by the board with Waitslitz. As was NOT done by the board when O’Donnell and Wilson came on board (not O’Donnell or Wilson’s fault)

As for the club being a business, you consistently misread when I am putting forward the current status of what the people in charge are telling members..... and in this case, it's that the only people who can be directors are business people....people in suits and other power dressing ensembles.

When have the people in charge said that? I’ve never seen it. Our directors haven’t always been business people. Dr Jack Kennedy (ENT surgeon), Dr Bridie O’Donnell (public servant), not sure that Jodie Sizer falls into that category? (Dunno)

I was making the proposition that you dont need these people if you are going to subcontract the skills that these people supposedly have.

Of course. Boards subcontract and delegate stuff all the time. An obvious example is an independent auditor who looks over the annual accounts each year.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Gee, Jeff Browne is getting a great run by the media. “Jeff Browne has bold ambitions for the Pies” …

… that may be true, but all that was said in that clip is that he thinks we’re a few years away from talking about a Premiership, we’re around a year away from having our Salary cap being in order, and he plans for board member(s) to sit with the fans.

Where are the bold plans?!? (No criticism intended of Browne here, it’s channel 7 (in this case) pumping up his tyres!)

Yeah, of course he is the favourite, I wonder if the media are trying to curry favour?
I’m leaning towards Browne at this stage, but I agree the media treatment towards him has been very soft.

Is that what actually happened our what you like to think Happened?
If so...source and link.
Beams was an error.
Not sure it was all down to ED.

Sidebottom played a big part

We know that's true because Steele was heard to say at the time, "If this backfires I'll get "drunk", break covid protocols & nude up & walk the streets of Williamstown."

Collingwood presidential aspirant Jeff Browne has vowed to reunite the club’s factions and work closely with the existing board members if he and his ticket are swept to power in the Magpies’ first election in two decades.
Browne launched his campaign to gain the Magpies’ top job alongside two of his fellow ticket members - Barry Carp and Renee Roberts - at the Grace Darling Hotel on Sunday, a venue deep-seated in the club’s rich history.

He said the Magpies’ fightback was already underway, saying the club intended to forge its own pathway in the hunt for its 16th premiership without borrowing from the blueprint of other AFL powerhouses.

“One thing I don’t want to be is like any other club, I want every other club to be like us,” Browne told the members in attendance.

He said it was “time for healing” after a divisive year, revealing he had had a fruitful discussion on Saturday with outgoing president Mark Korda, who plans to stay on the board until the end of next season.

Jeff Browne, Renee Roberts and Barry Carp launched their campaign at the Grace Darling Hotel - birthplace of the Collingwood Football Club. Picture: Michael Klein.

Jeff Browne, Renee Roberts and Barry Carp launched their campaign at the Grace Darling Hotel - birthplace of the Collingwood Football Club. Picture: Michael Klein.

“We are both professionals and we can work together,” Browne said. “He called me (on Saturday) to tell me about the (new) KFC sponsorship.”

“We have had a very disappointing year and I think we need to refresh our club.

“The best way to do that is to bring some new people in with new ideas, to encourage debate, to consult with the members, to build on our relationships with our sponsors.

“Renee, Barry and Christine are the right blend of combination (for the board). With that mix of ability and skills on the board, combined with the remaining board members, we will have equal to or the best board in the AFL.”

Eleven candidates are vying for four vacant seats on the Magpies’ board, with voting running from last Friday through until December 10.

Browne also told the members in attendance that:

It would “take a couple of years to get advanced on the track towards premiership success”, but the club would do everything in its power to give the players and the coaches the best resources to provide the best chance of success.

The first thing he would do if elected is to run “a listening tour” to speak with players, coaches, officials, staff and members to seek their views.

He hadn’t yet spoken with new coach Craig McRae, but was buoyed by what he had heard about his impact with the players already.

The club would be in a position in the next 12 to 24 months to start aggressively targeting the free-agency window.

One board member would sit with Legends members at every home game in an effort to get instant feedback.

He said the Grace Darling Hotel had been the scene of one of the early meetings in 1889 that ultimately helped to lead to the club’s formation three years later and was also the scene of the Collingwood Football Club’s first board meeting in 1892.

Carp and Roberts spoke about their life-long association with Collingwood as passionate supporters.

“Like everyone, we want to be premiers, we want success on field of course, but it is important to have off-field success, too,” said Carp, who is the founder of venture capital firm River Capital but whose love of Collingwood started with his idol Phil Carman.

“At the end of the day, we want to be the best club in Australia again, and hopefully I can make a contribution to that.”

Roberts, who is a financial regulator specialising in leadership, strategic and operational transformation, has followed the Magpies all of her life.

“I have been a Collingwood tragic all my life and I have also worked in corporate life for a very long time,” Roberts said. “To be able to contribute in a positive way to the future success of Collingwood and to be able to give back in a way is something I’d love to do.”

Sidebottom played a big part

No doubt Beams was a great mate of Sideys.
Odd to think he had a say in Beams selection?

Back