Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

He’s got two women on his ticket, he must be nervous about one of them not getting up?

So now that we’re getting the hang of this democracy thingy, does that mean we‘ll then have another election where we pick amongst female only candidates?

Or will Browne just go back to making a captains call? And if he does, will he pick one of the women who lost the election? Or will he pick a woman who wasn’t interested in submitting herself for election?

🤔

(All this presuming he wins of course)

Preoaring for contingencies to ensure the club doesn’t lose $15m

Either that or he’s politicking to ensure “we” pick his to candidates.
He’s certainly talking like he’s home and hosed re the Presidency which bugs me.
I reckon the majority of every day members will vote for him. There tends to be a fair bit of group think on forums like this, and it's probably not overly representative of the average member.

He will get voted on.

So after agitating with members and through Francis Galbally that we the members be democratic and vote in board members, he's just going to go back and pick people to fill future vacancies himself.

Bit hypocritical.

My take is that Browne has wanted the board handed to him on a platter all along?

It’s the EGM folks (originally led by Hatley, and supported by 1700 signatures) who wanted democracy, F.Galbally muddled matters by straddling both parties.

He’s got two women on his ticket, he must be nervous about one of them not getting up?

So now that we’re getting the hang of this democracy thingy, does that mean we‘ll then have another election where we pick amongst female only candidates?

Or will Browne just go back to making a captains call? And if he does, will he pick one of the women who lost the election? Or will he pick a woman who wasn’t interested in submitting herself for election?

🤔

(All this presuming he wins of course)
I hope he's better than he smells.

So after agitating with members and through Francis Galbally that we the members be democratic and vote in board members, he's just going to go back and pick people to fill future vacancies himself.

Bit hypocritical.

Not hypocritical, entirely reasonable.

If 2 females not elected, we risk losing the $15m in funding. Asking Korda to step down early (he hasn’t long to go anyway) and filling the casual vacancy with a female is common sense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice to see the current Board drop news of a $693K loss an hour before we draft Nick.

Classic Korda!

Smart play by Korda to dump this news out with the trash.

It is not all the doings of the current board - covid plus a lot of other reasons have not helped - but goodness me, we have now got a club that is really stagnant with no apparent leadership at the top.

This only further reinforces the need for a serious refresh at board level.

If 2 females not elected, we risk losing the $15m in funding. Asking Korda to step down early (he hasn’t long to go anyway) and filling the casual vacancy with a female is common sense.

Wouldn’t it also be common sense to drop the 40% criterion for funding for popularly elected boards?

Imagine if Dan Andrews said “Look, the Feds aren’t going to give us funding this year unless we meet a gender quota in Parliament, so I’m just going to ask a bunch of blokes to stand down (who just happen to be in Liberal Party seats) and appoint some of my own hand picked women to replace them. All in the name of gender quotas and funding from the Feds of course. And if you have a problem with it, don’t blame me, blame the Feds!! ”?

There’d be riots in the streets!

Wouldn’t it also be common sense to drop the 40% criterion for funding for popularly elected boards?

Imagine if Dan Andrews said “Look, the Feds aren’t going to give us funding this year unless we meet a gender quota in Parliament, so I’m just going to ask a bunch of blokes to stand down (who just happen to be in Liberal Party seats) and appoint some of my own hand picked women to replace them. All in the name of gender quotas and funding from the Feds of course. And if you have a problem with it, don’t blame me, blame the Feds!! ”?

There’d be riots in the streets!
me no like quotas either.

Smart play by Korda to dump this news out with the trash.

It is not all the doings of the current board - covid plus a lot of other reasons have not helped - but goodness me, we have now got a club that is really stagnant with no apparent leadership at the top.

Have you read the financial report?

So here’s what happened in 2021 accounting year: If you take the revenue of the club, and subtract out the costs to run the footy club, you end up with a profit of around $1.8 million …

… however …

… the club buys things like ride-on mowers to cut the grass on the Olympic Oval. They become an asset owned by the club that they could sell to get money back if they needed / wanted to. Those assets depreciate in value the older they get and the more they get used. There are different types of depreciation - there‘s the real depreciation in value, ie: what somebody else will buy it for off eBay. But for accounting purposes there is a depreciation schedule. The club depreciates the value of ride-on mowers at 20% a year. So after 5 years a mower is worth (for accounting purposes) nothing.

The buildings also have value. Unlike the mower, they can’t simply be chucked on eBay and sold (wanna buy a bridge?). But they do degrade and will need to be replaced or upgraded sometime. The club depreciates its buildings so that after 20 years they have no value for accounting purposes.

The club owns around $22 million of ride-on mowers and buildings and other stuff. All that stuff depreciated in value by around $2.4 million. Take the $1.8 million profit and subtract the $2.4 million the assets depreciated and you end up with the loss of around $600K that FIGJAM paraded in his sensationalist headline.

Obviously, you‘d normally prefer the organisation to make a profit because those buildings and ride-on mowers will need to be replaced at some stage …

… but if in the age of Covid it means that we can’t simply toss our ride-on mowers in the skip and buy a new one after five years, but instead we’re going to have to rely on that ride-on mower for six years … we ain’t doing so bad.

Last edited:
me no like quotas either.

I don’t have a problem with them for appointed board seats. And as they say, ‘The person who pays the piper picks the tunes’.

I just don‘t think it’d be a good look for the Vic Government to take $15 million of funding off a fabric-of-our-society-organisation, because a fair / independently run / democratic vote of members failed to result in a gender quota being met.

I don’t have a problem with them for appointed board seats. And as they say, ‘The person who pays the piper picks the tunes’.

I just don‘t think it’d be a good look for the Vic Government to take $15 million of funding off a fabric-of-our-society-organisation, because a fair / independently run / democratic vote of members failed to result in a gender quota being met.

I would suspect if this was the case, Korda would just resign and another female (one of those who has nominated for the current vote) would be brought onto the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m guessing that our club’s future fund is a pet project of Korda, and he wants to ensure that it gets handed over to somebody who will love it and tend to it as much as he has.

It’s a Costello concept. And we know Korda is a devotee of Costello.

And we know what happened to Costello’s future fund - a new government was elected, a GFC happened, and that was the end of Costello’s future fund.

Sadly, something like that will probably also happen to Collingwood’s future fund.

I would suspect if this was the case, Korda would just resign and another female (one of those who has nominated for the current vote) would be brought onto the board.

Let’s say for the purposes of the argument Holgate loses her seat. And then Korda stands down and Holgate gets back on the board using a casual vacancy.

Not a good look, is it? It would hardly be democratic and respecting the will of the members, would it?

And “Not a good look” is how we got here in the first place (Korda as a 14 year serving board member taking over from Ed)

Anyway, I think this is mostly politicking by Browne to get people to vote for his ticket.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So it's reasonable when there's money involved, it's undemocratic every other time. Gotcha.

Take the $1.8 million profit and subtract the $2.4 million the assets depreciated and you end up with the loss of around $600K that FIGJAM paraded in his sensationalist headline.
We should be making profits even with depreciation.

Offered no discounts to members unlike most other sporting organisations (eg. Neil Wilson's VRC).

It's a fact that we made a loss for two years running, so it's hardly sensationalist. That North made a profit in the same COVID conditions last year is also a fact.

On the subject of female board members, shame we haven’t heard more from Amanda Cameron.

I’m a bit surprised that in the year 2021 that candidates who are going for election aren’t putting themselves out there more.

We’ve seen Callinan, Febbraio and MacDonald around on the socials.

AFAIK there’s been just the one rather perfunctory mainstream media piece on Sal Perna, and also Neil Wilson.

Browne is obviously working the mainstream media, and by proxy that has included Carp and Roberts. I’m totally confused where Holgate stands with all that, she’s sometimes mentioned in Browne statements, and sometimes not. Holgate has said nothing herself.

I’ve seen absolutely zero from Cameron and Moorhouse,

Last edited:
On the subject of female board members, shame we haven’t heard more from Amanda Cameron.

I’m a bit surprised that in the year 2021 that candidates who are going for election aren’t putting themselves out there more.

We’ve seen Callinan, Febbraio and MacDonald around on the socials.

AFAIK there’s been just the one rather perfunctory mainstream media piece on Sal Perna, and also Neil Wilson.

Browne is obviously working the mainstream media, and by proxy that has included Carp and Roberts. I’m totally confused where Holgate stands with all that, he’s sometimes mentioned in Browne statements, and sometimes not. Holgate has said nothing herself.

I’ve seen absolutely zero from Cameron and Moorhouse,
Agree…they have nothing to lose & all to gain by engaging in Collingwood Social Forums…giving them direct access to some voting Members.
I suspect the Browne Camp think the opposite…don’t want to face particular Members (hostile) questions.
Probably assume more damage than good…so they choose to stay away??
Social media can be a minefield at the best of times.
Think Browne will continue to use mainstream media & remain in his bunker.

We should be making profits even with depreciation.

Agree.

Certainly in normal times. These are not normal times.

It's a fact that we made a loss for two years running, so it's hardly sensationalist. That North made a profit in the same COVID conditions last year is also a fact.

If we had the same depreciation on assets as North did (ie: if we owned less stuff) then we’d have a healthy profit-after-depreciation-and-amortisation as well.

Agree…they have nothing to lose & all to gain by engaging in Collingwood Social Forums…giving them direct access to some voting Members.
I suspect the Browne Camp think the opposite…don’t want to face particular Members (hostile) questions.
Probably assume more damage than good…so they choose to stay away??
Social media can be a minefield at the best of times.
Think Browne will continue to use mainstream media & remain in his bunker.

I wasn’t just thinking about the forums, but also things like Swoop Luke ’s youtube channel. He’s been able to interview Callinan and Febbraio and provided a great insight into each of those two candidates. There are collingwood fan podcasts that the candidates can reach out to. And how hard is it to set up a campaign website?

Agree.

Certainly in normal times. These are not normal times.

If we had the same depreciation on assets as North did (ie: if we owned less stuff) then we’d have a healthy profit-after-depreciation-and-amortisation as well.
North Melbourne buy their Ride on Mowers from Cash Converters.

I wasn’t just thinking about the forums, but also things like Swoop Luke ’s youtube channel. He’s been able to interview Callinan and Febbraio and provided a great insight into each of those two candidates. There are collingwood fan podcasts that the candidates can reach out to. And how hard is it to set up a campaign website?
Indeed.
Plus Swoop is very accommodating & fair.
He doesn’t present ”gotcha” questions or pursue issues with investigative hunger…good answer & moves on.
So candidates shouldn’t be hesitant. They will all get a fair go…with no set ups.

Last edited:
Indeed.
Plus Swoop is very accommodating & fair.
He doesn’t present ”gotcha” questions or pursue issues with investigative hunger…good answer & moves on.
So candidates shouldn’t be hesitant. They will all get a fair go…with no set ups.

Totally!

And I reckon all of us just want to see the candidates have a good chance to communicate who they are and what they stand for. It’s up to the individual voter to determine what they agree with and what they don’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back