Press F to pay respects - your saddest moments in gaming

Ni No Kuni - the passing of Oliver’s Mum. And I’m not saying that to provide a different answer; this for me was genuinely the saddest moment in a game I’ve personally experienced.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
sadly (ha), i've never found a game which had a significant or lasting impact on my emotions due to its narrative, characters or events. i still view games as TV's/cinema's ugly cousin in this context. i live in hope, though.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I've spend the past 3 weeks of my life trying to track down a PS4 Pro 500 million all over the world and something has gone wrong at every stage

Life is Strange

You know then ending I'm talking about...(I've forgot how to do spoiler tags)

The walking dead end of season 1.

The last of Us.

I know there are more but I can't think.

Valentino Dmitri

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
69 Bosoms Lane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby GP Dancesquad
One more on the Life is Strange train!

Completed the main Before the Storm story last night and it's been on my mind all day. There's some really sweet moments in that game but knowing the events of the first game make them pretty heartbreaking.

Bit of an odd one, but have to say the ending to Mafia 2 is one that always stuck with me. Your best mate Joe had the chance to become Capo and kill you, but stays loyal to his childhood best friend and works with you to kill the boss. Then after all that, he just gets lead off in another car like that.

Was kind of glad they followed up on it in Mafia 3 and let you know his fate though, even though it wasn't a happy ending

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Dom dying in Gears of War 3 probably the biggest one for me. Got really immersed in that series and always liked Dom.

Sadly Red Dead's ending got spoiled for me by some campaigner I knew.

Life is Strange was a pretty sad game too.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
In GTA IV... Roman.

GTA IV again... you're first romantic interested stabs you in the back and never appears again in the game.

Mass Effect trilogy... so many.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not the saddest moment of all, but I feel that Agro (the horse) falling off the cliff in Shadow of the Colossus deserves a mention.
The horse takes the fall as a results of the protagonists selfish desires and blind ambition.

Benzi10

Senior List
Apr 23, 2014
Réunion island
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Olympique Lyonnais
Valiant heart is the only game that manage to make me cry. I was an emotional mess after playing the last act. 10/10 would recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet. It's a really good change from the " let's go 'merica" gun blazing cliché FPS that saturate war games.

Last edited:

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Final Fantasy 7 -

When my dog walked on the reset button.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
- When Ezio's family get killed - that scene was pretty brutal and lasting
- The twists and turns, deaths and betrayals in The Operative: No One Lives Forever (bloody good game)
Lose your first partner (Bruno) who you also think betrays you, lose your second partner (Tom), betrayed by second partner (who wasn't actually dead) and ultimately betrayed again by one of your bosses (Mr. Smith). Plus your first partner didn't actually get killed and turned to out to have faked his own death to expose the treachery already rife in UNITY
- Mafia II when Vito's loses his mum while in prison - the letter cutscene

Last edited:
Back