NimFromSudan

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Pressure acts are a pretty important stat to the way Richmond play but the only place I can find them is deep in the AFL app. I've built this spreadsheet so that we can compare players and track them across the season.

Here's a screen-cap of this weeks leader-board.

LAD6eeI.png

Cotch and Graham are standouts while Caddy, Butler and Lambert chase behind. You can see players that make their way forward have the best numbers, as do the inside mids. Martin is the exception as this looks like a weak area for him.

Interesting for me was to see Townsend's numbers so low. Makes me think he has less leeway than we all assume when he's not kicking goals

Pressure acts are a pretty important stat to the way Richmond play but the only place I can find them is deep in the AFL app. I've built this spreadsheet so that we can compare players and track them across the season.

LAD6eeI.png

Cotch and Graham are standouts while Caddy, Butler and Lambert chase behind. You can see players that make their way forward have the best numbers, as do the inside mids. Martin is the exception as this looks like a weak area for him.

Interesting for me was to see Townsend's numbers so low. Makes me think he has less leeway than we all assume when he's not kicking goals

Well at the very least we now know why Graham keeps getting games with his disposal numbers so low.

He was equal top of the table with Cotch last week...ergo he’ll play this week. :D

Thanks. These are great numbers to have since Champion Data and the AFL make it so bloody hard to access their statistics.

On the other hand while "pressure acts" and "pressure points" sound great I still don't have any true idea what it means as a definitive term.

Can you explain the pressure rating? It’s been mentioned a lot, like our third quarter in thevGF was 2.5 or something which is off the charts but I have n idea how they are measuring it or where to find it.

Rance :thumbsdown: Dud. Delist.
As the great Mahatma Cote once sung "Turn the pressure cooker down".
Don’t need to apply pressure when oppo mids kick it straight down your throat. Deadset looks like that sometimes.

Makes me wonder what would if we played him as a key forward, and we told our mids to hit up his direct opponent. Would take 5-6 marks inside 50 every game I reckon.

Thanks. These are great numbers to have since Champion Data and the AFL make it so bloody hard to access their statistics.

On the other hand while "pressure acts" and "pressure points" sound great I still don't have any true idea what it means as a definitive term.

I know Pressure Points are a basket of statistical measures most of which are not publicly available.

Haere Ra

LAD6eeI.png

Great analysis.

You can see how our gameplan is built on defensive pressure, particularly in the forward half.

Force a turnover. Make it tough on the way out. Cough it up and have a repeat entry.

Haere Ra

Thanks for posting this NimFromSudan

I'm a bit torn about this as a metric. IMO, it means more than some others, such as AFL Fantasy points (great name, sheer fantasy), but it's still just a made-up number. Bolton HAS NOT applied more pressure than Townsend, let alone Nank and Sheds who are always grabbing, bumping, slapping the ball. I'm assuming Bolton was dropped for his 5 step chase efforts, and if so, the coaches don't agree with this ranking either.

It's got hairs on it.

Better than tackle numbers, I suppose, but I strongly doubt that its possible to quantify how much pressure an opposition player feels because of what our blokes are doing. Just have to watch the game.

Don’t need to apply pressure when oppo mids kick it straight down your throat. Deadset looks like that sometimes.

Makes me wonder what would if we played him as a key forward, and we told our mids to hit up his direct opponent. Would take 5-6 marks inside 50 every game I reckon.
I feel like you could put him anywhere on the ground and he will dominate. The way he reads the play is something phenomenal. It's magical to watch.

id love to have the qtr by qtr pressure stats for last year and this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0903_fev_env2.jpg

Pressure acts are fairly simple - anything you do to apply pressure on a player is 1 pressure act, although I don't know where you draw the line. Yelling at someone while they're taking a set shot applies pressure but I'm not sure they count that.

IMG_0600.JPG

LAD6eeI.png

Interesting for me was salty to see Townsend's numbers so low. Makes me think he has less leeway than we all assume when he's not kicking goals

Excellent work you deserve a Commonwealth Gold Medal for your brilliant effort.
Townsend has struggled recently so Moore is waiting in the background.

Last edited:

LAD6eeI.png

Good stats, does anyone know where to find pressure point stats etc/ time in fwd half etc? the guys on "pure footy" always talk about how important they are but can never find them...

Good stats, does anyone know where to find pressure point stats etc/ time in fwd half etc? the guys on "pure footy" always talk about how important they are but can never find them...

As I understand it, from our coaches, they are only available to the Clubs and Broadcasters as a subscription service offered by Champion Data.

Haere Ra

As I understand it, from our coaches, they are only available to the Clubs and Broadcasters as a subscription service offered by Champion Data.

Haere Ra

Time for Chief to use the money he makes from the Richmond Board to pay for a subscription

Seriously though I don’t get the secrecy around stats and draft camp results. Really dilutes the awesome possibilities you find in American sports online

Remove this Banner Ad

Back