Pressure Rating

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressure Act (Implied): Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.

Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure.

Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.

Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent.

Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

Pressure Chances: The number of opportunities a team had to apply pressure i.e. opposition disposals, including tackles that prevent an opposition disposal.

Pressure Points: Weighed sum of pressure acts. Physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing acts are 1.5 points and corralling are 1.2.

Pressure Factor: Pressure points per pressure chance. Measure only at the team level.

Pressure Points Per Minute: Pressure points per minute of time on ground.

So a whole bunch of subjective judgments masquerading as an objective stat.

Cheers for answer. Wow what an absolute load of rubbish it is.

If you watch quarters or games where it’s particularly high or low you’ll see it’s actually not rubbish at all… it’s absolutely clear when teams are being rushed and pressured and it correlates with high pressure rankings.

Of course individual acts can be missed or misconstrued here or there, but the overall trend is very relevant.

If you watch quarters or games where it’s particularly high or low you’ll see it’s actually not rubbish at all… it’s absolutely clear when teams are being rushed and pressured and it correlates with high pressure rankings.

Of course individual acts can be missed or misconstrued here or there, but the overall trend is very relevant.

Not sure why you quoted me Bunk, I made a comment about how the stats are generated.

I don’t need to see any of that to know where the pressure is and who it’s on.
Just a gimmick for the many who know nothing about footy.

There are tons of BS gimmick stats etc at the moment but the pressure rating is one of the better ones in my opinion. It's more relevant when applied to a specific player and the role they have in the team.

You may not need it but not everyone else sees the pressure a player is applying over 4 quarters that easily.

Using one of our players as an example Dan Butler, he's been down on goal-kicking form for probably the last 18 months but in that time he's been the number 1 forward half pressure player in the league, and it's probably the reason he hasn't been dropped.

Corralling, closing space, chasing, etc. We don't tend to remember that stuff as much as kick marks and goals.

Last edited:
It's not perfect, but does measure something important.

When a team has crazy high pressure points they tend to win and stop the opposition from playing their game.

A stat like number of possessions or contested ball is often useless. They are not always correlated with success.

It's not just for seeing live. It's a stat that can be measured over the season and for previous games.

It gives you a very good idea of who is applying the most defensive pressure to break down the opposition.

Don't be scared of new things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know how they are measuring this new pressure rating gauge they are using in games?
How can pressure be measured?
Just another wanky American thing that has zero relevance like yardage has in our game.
Just because something is more complex of kicks, marks and handballs, doesn't mean we have to be scared of it.

Does anyone know how they are measuring this new pressure rating gauge they are using in games?
Just another wanky American thing that has zero relevance like yardage has in our game.
dunny.gif

Just because something is more complex of kicks, marks and handballs, doesn't mean we have to be scared of it.
It’s ok, he asked the question, but wasn’t really asking and didn’t want to know the actual answer. Just wanted people to agree with his whiny rant

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Lol.

It's not 1970 anymore. Coaches make tactical decisions and focus areas based on data like this. You might not rate it, but data and KPIs like this and many others is the future (it's already here) of sports tactics and analysis, especially at the high performance level for professional sports.

It's not some bush league where they make decisions by some assistant nudging the coach and going "I reckon Jono needs to tackle more".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back