Opinion Pressures On Young Sportspeople

Remove this Banner Ad

The majority of it in social media is marketing and shallow pushing a capitalist line and no real discussion on contributing factors and the dangers once in the mental health system. It's ironic than many point bullying as an issue effecting mental health but then turn to bullying themselves when real discussion opens up.

If you're giving everything to something you have no passion for, the symptoms are not depression. Not a type of depression that medication can fix. Forgetting the fact medication is only a labotomy to numb the system and silence feelings. The only thing that will work is stop doing the hard yards for something you no longer have the required levels of passion.
Why are you always seemingly writing in codes and hidden messages? :)
I understand your stance against medications, but they can be useful, similar to the usefulness of anti-seizure medications for epilepsy. Agree in the general gist in that society needs to open up more, and be more self-aware of the self-destruction it can cause. All angles need to be looked at!

Yes that's all consistent with my experiences .....and it's great that your son is determined, and you've obviously prepared him well ...but to many others the pressure to achieve can be too great, some give up too easily ...some can get quite depressed, particularly males

The thing is there are a number of avenues to achieve the career, any person wishes, irrespective of their final year scores ......if you persevere, it may take longer (it will) but you can still end up doing that career that your final school scores indicated you'd never qualify .....anything is possible, if you stick at it & persevere

But you have to be prepared correctly in the childs upbringing .....and frankly there's too much pressure & too many opting out

No, I haven't played X-Box & I understand where you're coming with that statement ......but I do see too many opting out in real life ....i have a niece currently hospitalised with anorexia .....the pressures re self image, have they been any greater than currently with Social Media "influencers" ???
I think I see your point about the new generation "having it easier" than say the era of pre-social media. Kids nowadays have smartphones and internet, where they can get ready access to knowledge and news. They also have more human rights as a child, parents are publicly discouraged to verbally/physically abuse them - including a harsh scolding or a spank is seen as "evil" by the parents. Leisure-wise, they have a whole heap of gaming tools at their disposal.

Older generations "had it harder" in a sense, because there would be more walking and cycling to libraries to do research; at home get more scoldings and spanks. Nothing much to do around the house other than TV and the Commodore 64, which took forever to load up the games! Also, home work was done more legit than nowadays Google and the good old "cut and paste" tool..

The counter-argument though, is that with the era of social media, there is that likelihood of children comparing themselves to other children, and also comparing with celebrities all over the world. I can imagine there is that likelihood of false perception of what the world is really like, since this is "the trend as shown online, using Google and Facebook". Social media is helping to propagate mental illness as a public agenda. However it is also it's own tool for creating misperceptions and mental illnesses to those who are born mentally fragile. Also online bullying and trolling is everywhere you look, so there are harsher things to deal with nowadays than the era of the past. Not to mention jobs are getting scarcer by the day, more competitions for jobs increasing by the minute. This new world and generation of online is "different", not necessarily "easier".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back