Prettiest bowlers to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourites are Richard Hadlee, Mitchell Starc and James Franklin.

All three are elegant in their own ways. Hadlee's was more clinical in its elegance, whereas the other two had flowing, rhythmic actions.

Any highlights package of Wasim Akram always has my attention. Potentially the greatest left arm pace bowler of all time. Nobody has ever mastered reverse swing to be able to use it home and away quite like he has.

Really any of the Pakistan fast bowling crew from the 90s were always a joy to watch and one that would cause concern for an enthusiastic kid watching them against the Aussies.

I always like unique actions, especially if they're successful which is probably why I really enjoy watching Jasprit Bumrah. He was phenomenal in the recent series against us.

Aesthetically the best action I have ever seen was early Marchant de Lange. Shortish run up, big lean backwards, then he just snapped through. Was a pretty handy javelin thrower as a teen, and you could certainly tell. Unfortunately said action put significant strain on his back, he still bowls fast on his day but all the injuries and subsequent messing around with his bowling action prevented him from ever hitting the heights that once seemed possible.

Other honourable mentions:

Chris Martin (I liked that pronounced leap on delivery stride)
Chris Tremain (a bit slingy, but I kinda like that)
Alzarri Joseph (fast and smooth, at his best he makes it look easy)
Mohammad Musa Khan (still raw AF. Not as promising as Naseem, but has a far nicer action)
Scott Kuggelejin (absolute scumbag of a person, but his whippy energetic action looks good)

Prompted by a cricinfo story today about him playing his last match for Hampshire, certainly not the prettiest bowler but one I absolutely loved watching was Fidel Edwards.

bowled nearly 160km/h, it was just unapologetic ‘I’m going to hit your head, break your toes, get smashed for boundaries, or get you out’ fast bowling. Had an ordinary average but an ok strike rate - 58, and on his day was a real thrilling bowler to watch with the express run up and javelin action.

Forgot about Hadlee, absolute poetry in motion. My ultimate fast bowling attack - Curtly, Wasim, Hadlee with Warne providing the spin.
Good luck to the top order in the 2nd test when Marshall comes in, still pissed off he was carrying the drinks in the 1st test

Forgot about Hadlee, absolute poetry in motion. My ultimate fast bowling attack - Curtly, Wasim, Hadlee with Warne providing the spin.
Good luck to the top order in the 2nd test when Marshall comes in, still pissed off he was carrying the drinks in the 1st test
Boony are you going to get out or am I going to come around the wicket and kill you?

Prompted by a cricinfo story today about him playing his last match for Hampshire, certainly not the prettiest bowler but one I absolutely loved watching was Fidel Edwards.

bowled nearly 160km/h, it was just unapologetic ‘I’m going to hit your head, break your toes, get smashed for boundaries, or get you out’ fast bowling. Had an ordinary average but an ok strike rate - 58, and on his day was a real thrilling bowler to watch with the express run up and javelin action.
One of my favs to watch too.

Had that action where if he was on he would bowl rockets anything slightly off and he brisk medium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holding will always be my favourite.

Shane Bond was fairly fluent and easy on the eye at his peak.

I like Mohammed Asifs approach and action as well.

One of my favs to watch too.

Had that action where if he was on he would bowl rockets anything slightly off and he brisk medium.

He was the sort of bowler I could have easily tolerated being in the squad with Roach and holder who both keep things tight. It’s why Gabriel has thrived I reckon because there is less pressure on him to bowl tight and they know that even when he’s leaking runs a wicket taking ball is never too far away. Edwards never really had the chance to bowl a lot with teammates who had great control. In fact Taylor was another bowler from the same mould who could both lethal deliveries mixed with uneconomical dross

Kapil Dev had a lovely action, and he wasn't the ugliest man who ever lived either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back