Preview Preview - 2020 AFLW Rnd 2 - Richmond vs Gold Coast Saturday 15th Feb Metricon Stadium 4.10pm local time - 5.10 Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

1581489849188.png

There aren’t too many elite competitions around the world where the second game is season defining but here we are with our Tiger team traveling to Metricon this week , the scene of some Tiger triumphs but also a place where some heart-breakers have been had, taking on fellow newcomer Gold Coast Suns (or is that Daughters?) in a must win clash to stay in finals contention. The loser moves to a 0-2 record and while not impossible to overcome a lot has to go right for the rest of the season for you to make it. (hello Carlton)

TALE OF THE TAPE - Richmond

It was indeed a sobering welcome to AFLW for the Tigers where, apart from a small purple patch in the last term when we managed to kick all of our goals, we were comprehensively outplayed for the rest of the game.

RICHMOND 2.2 (14)
CARLTON 6.12 (48)

GOALS

Richmond: Frederick, Wakefield
BEST
Richmond: Monahan ,Conti, Makur Chuot, Bernardi, Wakefield
Crowd: 15,337 at Ikon Park

Highlight

We are in the AFLW !!! That’s pretty much it. Oh, and a couple of late goals to Frederick who becomes our first ever and Wakefield who showed she has a few tricks up her sleeve.
1581490282723.png

TALE OF THE TAPE – Gold Coast

Gold Coast gave GWS a mighty scare in Blacktown going down by the narrowest of margins in a hard fought old fashioned slog in the wet.

1581492345827.png

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.3 (9)
GOLD COAST 1.2 (8)

GOALS

Gold Coast: Perry

BEST
Gold Coast: Stanton, Virgo, Yorston, Dunn, Ahrens

Official crowd: 1540 at Blacktown International Sportspark

Highlight

As was the case with Richmond, new team, new players and there is something special about the first goal and it was Brittany Perry who goes in the history books as the first ever Gold Coast women’s goal scorer.

THE GAME AHEAD

The first round stats for the two teams are fairly similar…… with a glaring exception!

Disposals Richmond 154 v Gold Coast 147

Kicks 102 v 100

Handballs 52 v 47

Freekicks 18 v 16

Clearances 12 v 25

Inside 50 11 v 8

Marks Inside 50 5 v 0

Contested Possessions 72 v 96

Tackles 74 v 81

Hitouts 12 v 20

Middle

Clearance numbers minus 15 in R1 against Carlton!!! While some of the Gold Coast numbers could be a bit skewed due to conditions the likes of Stanton, Yorston and Dunn provided plenty of drive from the middle and that’s exactly where we need to improve. Conti and Brennan will do their job but we need some others to step up. We need to get our hands on the ball and run with it so a bit will fall back on the shoulders of Brancatisano, Burchell, Molan and Jacques. They are youngsters with only a collective 5 games under their belt and maybe it's a bit unfair but the responsibility could be the making of them.

Our ruck Alice Edmonds who really struggled against the experienced duo of Moody and Downie, should have the first game nerves behind her and her clash with Lauren Bella will be decisive. Alice is 189cm which she has used this to great advantage in VFLW but Lauren matches her here so Alice will need to find a way to impact the stoppages.

Forward

The average inside 50 count for winning sides in R1 was 30 and our 11 was way below par. (Blues had 44!!) Four of the seven losing sides had 22 or over but if there is a positive to take out of our round one clash it’s the fact that 50% of the time we went inside 50 we took a mark so we have aerial strength there. Get enough ball inside 50 and it will be a headache for anyone. Wakefield showed good form last week and provided a perfect partner for a quieter Frederick who will always get the best defender.

The crafty Bernardi is ever dangerous and stay tuned as Stahl didn’t get to show her true ability last week but I’m confident a show is coming.

1581490801697.png
Fair to say it was hard to judge just how good the Gold Coast forwards were on the back of last weeks performance with conditions being what they were and the ball only going inside 50 8 times

Back

For our first game I though our girls had a red hot go under a mountain of forward entries by the Blues. Phoebe Monahan was the rock (sorry Phoebe, looks like no midfield time for you this year), Makur Chuot showed glimpes and Seymour was solid until needed in the ruck. We desperately need to get some dash from our defensive lines happening this week and keep our composure and hit our targets up the ground.

Gold Coast have new AFLW players in Ahrens and Hickey as key defenders so they lack a bit of experience but I’d have to give the nod to them in their overall ability to run the ball out of their defensive area.

Team Changes

If fit this week, expect Grace Campbell to come straight into the team and slot into the midfield. She is hard, gets the ball and can tackle like no one else.
1581491786435.png

Ella Wood will also come into consideration possibly used at half back to help our run and carry out of our backline.
1581491872110.png

OUTCOME

Given last weeks results, the fact that both teams are new to AFLW footy and with some wet weather forecast during game time you would think this is going to be a dour, scrappy, low scoring affair. It just may be that. Then again we could see an improved performance by the Tigers with our edge in top end talent allowing us to maintain our clubs recent winning run at Metricon. Yeah I'd much rather that so Tigers by 17 points BUT football will be the real winner there Saturday night.

1581490221196.png

GAME DAY HUB

Game Day Hub
AFLW Round 2, Gold Coast v Richmond
-RFC3161-MFE-20-Game-Day-Assets-AFLW-ROUND-2Game-Day-Hub-Web-Header.png

OPEN TRAINING
Friday, February 14
Metricon Stadium
Gate 6 opens at 2.00pm
Training from 2.15pm - 4.00pm

TICKETS
Entry is completely FREE for all members and fans. The match is a non-ticketed event.
To ensure entry, we recommend arriving as early as possible.

GATE OPEN TIMES
Gate 3 from 3.00pm

WHAT'S ON
There will be a wide range of food stalls available between gates 1 and 3.
Come and visit our kids stall located near Gate 7.

Pre-game
Get a photo with the 2019 Premiership cup!
We will have the cup available for photos prior to the AFLW match at Metricon Stadium, Gate 1 from 1.00pm to 3.30pm.

MEMBERSHIP
Be part of history by becoming a Women’s Football Foundation member here. Show your support and gain exclusive AFLW and VFLW benefits.

TIGERLAND SUPERSTORE
Check out the AFLW range by Cotton On at the Tigerland Superstore and shop online anytime here.

GETTING TO THE GAME

Travelling by public transport:

Public transport is the quickest and easiest way to get to and from the game. Trains and buses operate frequently.
Plan your journey with Translink Journey planner to make sure you get there on time and with ease.

Travelling by car:
There is no public parking available at Metricon Stadium on event days, and parking restrictions are enforced in the areas surrounding Metricon Stadium.

Travelling by taxi:
A designated taxi rank will operate in front of the Gold Coast Sport and Leisure Centre. The closest stadium entry/exit point for the taxi rank is Gate 3.
Taxis will be permitted to drop off and pick up passengers at this location only. Taxis cannot be booked from this location.

BROADCAST INFORMATION
Live on Fox Footy from 5.00pm EST.
All matches will be streamed LIVE via womens.afl and the AFLW Official App.

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
You can bring your own food and water, however there are plenty of food and drink options available in stadium. The following items are prohibited:

- Alcohol
- Glass
- Chairs
- Musical instruments
- Flags over 1.6m
- Animals (unless a registered companion animal required for medical reasons – medical certificate must be supplied)
- Any item deemed to be or which may be considered to be dangerous – This is at the discretion of the stadium operator and their security contractor

Please note that patrons are required to present all bags for inspection upon entry to the venue.
For more information please refer to the AFL Conditions of Entry.

SOCIAL MEDIA
Follow the official social media channels of the Richmond Women’s for all the latest news and behind-the-scenes action on game day.
Join the AFLW conversation with the official hashtag #AFLWTigersSuns and show your support by tagging #gotiges
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter

Last edited:

Been raining here for days. If it keeps up the Suns have the wet weather form

Wonder if the heavy conditions last week mean that Suns may be a bit weary this week?

Wonder if the heavy conditions last week mean that Suns may be a bit weary this week?
The game is a few days away. The playing surface is amazing. Drainage is great.
Pity that the 2019 cup stuff is so early.
I wonder if the times are correct? 1 to 330 when Gates are open at 200

Last edited:
Only one droppable for me after one game is Burchell. I have question marks on a few others but they should get a chance to back it up. Burchell was a ways off and Wood is able to play her position or we could even shuffle things to make room for Campbell.

Only one droppable for me after one game is Burchell. I have question marks on a few others but they should get a chance to back it up. Burchell was a ways off and Wood is able to play her position or we could even shuffle things to make room for Campbell.

Selection will be interesting. There were about 4-5 who probably played at the level or close to then throw a blanket over the rest. If anyone is dropped then they may consider themselves a tad unlucky on that basis. Were caught a little in the headlights. They can play much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a great story. Life can be tough but ultimately most of us won the lottery by being lucky enough to grow up in Australia. We should do more to help others who aren't so lucky. Probably didn't give this much thought in my younger days to be honest but the older I get the more I think about it.

"I get to have a job and shelter and food and be able to play at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
"It means that one day I can go back home and go back to my refugee camp and tell those kids that their dreams can come true too." - Akec Makur Chuot

Richmond AFLW player Akec Makur Chuot's jumper number pays tribute to her 34 siblings

By Catherine Murphy

A woman dressed in an AFL uniform and football boots runs with an AFL ball while being chased by another woman.
PHOTO: Akec Makur Chuot, of the Richmond Tigers, wears the number 34 in a reference to her 34 siblings. (AAP: Rob Prezioso)

For Richmond AFLW player Akec Makur Chuot, 34 is much more than just her jumper number. It's a way of paying tribute to her 34 siblings and showing pride in her culture.

Key points:
  • Chuot's late father had seven wives and 35 children
  • She came to Australia when she was 12 and made her AFLW debut with Fremantle in 2017.
  • She hopes that by having the number of her siblings on her AFLW jumper, it will show pride in her culture and inspire other young migrant children

Back in South Sudan, where she was born, Chuot's late father had seven wives — with Chuot's mother the first.

While she only shares a mother and father with eight of her siblings, Chuot chooses to honour all of them as her brothers and sisters.

In doing so, she hopes that her footy jumper will show young aspiring migrant footballers that they too can be open about and proud of their culture.

Chuot said that in the South Sudanese culture, it was normal for a man to be married to so many women.

"I get asked a lot about my culture, and it's something that I'm very proud of," Chuot told the ABC.
"Because without my culture, I would probably not be the person that I am today."

A group of men and women post for a photo with a building made of bamboo and tin sheets in the backgroud.
PHOTO: Chuot with some of her family during a trip back to Africa. (Supplied)

Early years spent in a refugee camp
Chuot spent nine years in a Kenyan refugee camp with her family before moving to Perth when she was 12.

During that time, her family lived on a monthly food allowance but she said she was lucky to be able to attend school and mix with other South Sudanese.

The experience meant she viewed her chance to play professional football differently from others afforded the same opportunity.

"I have to have a different perspective because I remember being back there [in the refugee camp] and having a lot of dreams and hopes," she said.

"I know there are still a lot of kids that are back in those refugee camps that have the same hopes and dreams, that will never get to be in the position that I'm in now.

"I get to have a job and shelter and food and be able to play at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
"It means that one day I can go back home and go back to my refugee camp and tell those kids that their dreams can come true too."

Akec Makur Chuot in an AFLW uniform posing in a group photo at a game with 10 family members
PHOTO: Chuot with her mother, Helena Yar Enoch, and other family members at a game in Australia. (Supplied)

Joining the AFLW
Chuot made her AFLW debut with Fremantle in 2017, the inaugural AFLW season, but was delisted at the end of the season.

She then relocated to Melbourne to join Carlton's VFLW program for a year before moving to Richmond.

She also works at the AFL, running the Unity Cup program and Africa Month activations.

Motivated to represent her family, her culture and the migrant community, Chuot said she never doubted her ability to return to AFLW.

A woman dressed in a AFLW uniform stands with arms crossed and smiling looking at the camera on a football oval.
PHOTO: Akec Makur Chuot of the Richmond Tigers. (ABC News: Michael Barnett)

"I know I had to come here, and represent my family, but also all the young kids from migrant backgrounds, that come to call this country their home," she said

"For women from my background to see me playing at the highest level and seeing themselves in me one day I think is one of the reasons why I think I was so determined."

It continues to motivate her as she pulls on the yellow and black jumper.

"It's the reason why pre-season is easy, it's the reason why games and everything that football brings is really easy because you know you have a bigger purpose than yourself, why you do certain things."

A smiling woman looking at the camera in front of a large blue, red and white AFL logo.
PHOTO: Akec Makur Chuot doesn't just play, she works at the AFL. (ABC News: Michael Barnett)

Finding a home in Richmond
At Richmond, Chuot said she had found a club where she could live her purpose, and truly be herself.

"I've been at a few AFL clubs now and I just love being in the yellow and black because of the opportunity to be celebrated because of everything that you are," she said.

"Not only as a footballer but as a human being and a leader in the community.

"I think they understand that they have a big role to play in the community, not just as a football club.

"All the players know that. We get around each other and we celebrate each other and that's a really important special part of this club."

Akec Makur Chuot, dressed in a aquamarine dress, with her mother Helena Yar Enoch, a traditional African fabric dress
PHOTO: Akec Makur Chuot says she idolises her mother, Helena Yar Enoch. (Supplied)

While her club mates rank highly, her mum, Helena Yar Enoch, is her hero.

"She's a woman of strength," she said. "I get really emotional talking about my mum because as a single mum she's worked so hard to get us to where we are and to get us to Australia.

"I had to make sure she was here to witness the first game at Richmond the women's team played because she was a part of that journey to get me there."

Chuot continues her AFLW journey with Richmond when they travel to the Gold Coast to take on the Suns this Saturday.

Sarah Black Preview.

Gold Coast v Richmond, Metricon Stadium, 4.10pm AEST

• Gold Coast didn't get nearly enough supply to its forwards in horrible conditions against GWS, recording just eight inside 50s for the match. Expect a higher return against a less experienced Richmond side.
  • No one could have questioned Richmond's intensity against Carlton, but finishing skills and connection up the ground left a bit to be desired. Monique Conti will be better for the run after spending much of pre-season fulfilling her basketball commitments.
  • Tip: Both sides will be eager to get their first win in the book, but Richmond's dangerous forward line (Christina Bernardi, Courtney Wakefield, Sabrina Frederick) will give it the edge. Tigers by 14 points.

Onya Sarah. My thoughts exactly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back