Analysis Preview and changes - Hawthorn MCG July 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t even aware thats something they’ve ever done.
Was that a master tactical change, or something that was forced due to their injury list?
They decided to go extra scoring with a defensive forward
Simpson explained it meant only 5 inside mids which was why sheed missed out

Did Josh Thomas jump your back fence and root your dog or something?

You sure have it in for him with post after post.

Lol If he had tried my money would be on the dog

Maybe pointing out the obvious

Saw it last year
Hasn't improved

He lacks intensity fact it is also known that gut running and repeat effort is one of the biggest tests of courage around

Lack of effort is a malise on team work and spreads amongst the squad in any sport

He's not alone on that front
And when it happens you get the results were getting and generally what we've seen from other clubs over this season
Example petracca

Mate besides It's a thread about changes
He should be dropped
Been long overdue

I know I’m the minority on this but I can’t help it you’re all wrong.

You know what going off which way the coaches have dropped varcoe and defended Thomas you are probably right in terms of how they think.

But I think they and you are off the mark here. Varcs can be hot and cold in getting a kick but his pressure is miles ahead of Thomas yet in terms of getting the pill they are on par. So why does Varcs get the 2s treatment and Thomas the media pat on the back?

You know what going off which way the coaches have dropped varcoe and defended Thomas you are probably right in terms of how they think.

But I think they and you are off the mark here. Varcs can be hot and cold in getting a kick but his pressure is miles ahead of Thomas yet in terms of getting the pill they are on par. So why does Varcs get the 2s treatment and Thomas the media pat on the back?

Thomas has been far more creative and has hit the scoreboard more often.

Varcoe has been cold all year. All he does is chase opponents and unlike past years doesn’t catch them or hit them like he used to.

In terms of statistics Thomas is ahead of Varcoe especially in goal kicking but given how i see their roles, Varcoe is ahead of important stats like -
Tackles Varcoe 31 Thomas 29, 1% Varcoe 16 Thomas 8, Tackles inside 50 Varcoe 13 Thomas 5, and Varcoe has played 4 less games than Thomas.

I just don't think Thomas brings enough pressure, his best game was first half against WB not close to last years form.

But as you post we are not the selection committee and they see it differently.

Thomas has been far more creative and has hit the scoreboard more often.

Varcoe has been cold all year. All he does is chase opponents and unlike past years doesn’t catch them or hit them like he used to.

You call averaging 1 more kick, 0.2 handballs, 0.6 goals, 0.9 Inside 50s and minus 0.1 goal assists far more creative?

That reads about par to me.

Still reeling from last weekend's game and am struggling for explanations and solutions. If we had them all fit I'd be bringing in Goldsack, Adams and Elliott for an injection of attitude, spirit, risk taking, sacrifice, intent, fearlessness etc. All the things that don't get a stat.
We had a real energy and personality as a team last year. We have minimal options on the bench so we need to find some of theses intangible but important aspects again. Looking for our leaders to put it on the line in a big way this weekend and hope the kids express some personality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You call averaging 1 more kick, 0.2 handballs, 0.6 goals, 0.9 Inside 50s and minus 0.1 goal assists far more creative?

That reads about par to me.

I dont look at stat sheets to draw my conclusions.

He plays more offensively than Varcoe. Some say thats a knock on Thomas that he doesnt defend as well but I dont think Varcoe has been much chop doing that either.

I'd rather have the bloke prepared to take the game on and kick a goal.

I know I'm in tne minority on this but I dont see Thomas to be as poor as people on this board make him out to be.

I think Thomas has suffered from a narrowing of his role and a more outside emphasis in his positioning at stoppages and this while the team has been struggling to connect.
I think Varcoe has suffered from a self induced narrowing of his role in that he seems to be focused on an occasional bump, run down tackle, or front and square crumb and these things aren't happening often enough.
I wish our midfield and wing/half backs would give the swoop squad more to work with, speed up our entries and bring a bit more unpredictability. If this happens JT will be fine. If it doesn't no-one else coming in will change things much.
I wish Varcs would remember that he also has elite short kicking, clean hands, awareness, anticipation and goal scoring ability and use these more often.
Both players can be great in assisting others to be their best. I think some bigger names need to step up before these two and the coaches need to get creative.

I dont look at stat sheets to draw my conclusions.

He plays more offensively than Varcoe. Some say thats a knock on Thomas that he doesnt defend as well but I dont think Varcoe has been much chop doing that either.

I'd rather have the bloke prepared to take the game on and kick a goal.

I know I'm in tne minority on this but I dont see Thomas to be as poor as people on this board make him out to be.

I dont think this season he has been anywhere near creative enough or dangerous enough to warrant keeping his spot. Don't disagree about taking the game on but you also need defensive pressure or team waltz it out and score heavily ala dogs and north.

Stats are good to use in context with what our eyes see and its confirming what I am seeing. He's not doing enough. Buckley even said he doesn't get much ball or kick many goals because hes a team player, this fly's in the face or your description of his season/game.

We should blood some new guys to induce a freshness, youthful exuberance into the team. Stevo, Murray, Appleby all did it last year, this year we have not blooded anyone and the team has only gone downhill. About time to do this.

We should blood some new guys to induce a freshness, youthful exuberance into the team. Stevo, Murray, Appleby all did it last year, this year we have not blooded anyone and the team has only gone downhill. About time to do this.

I disagree with this notion of an injection of youth.

Bring in Elliott & Aish and back in the rest to replicate our effort and endeavour of 2018........last week was an aberration IMO.

It is definitely odd that you blokes have had slight drop offs in thomas, varcoe, hoskin elliot, cox in the same part of the ground. Mihocek seems to be the only one in the forward line to have actually improved. May be forgetting some. Reid has been big for you blokes this year, very unfortunate that he's gone down.

He's ahead of Cox as your #1 Key forward imo, was very confused when he got dropped earlier this year.

Grundy could have a field day, Big Boy's been very average these past few games he seems to be carrying an injury. Ceglar will get ragdolled in the ruck.

Just had a look at the afl injury list. Couldn’t believe we had 16 .
The nearest was 14 with two teams and most had around 7-8.
This is one area we have yet to improve on in many years now.

It will be good for Billy to get a run this week but wouldn’t expect him to light it up on return. I would be happy with a hard fought win. Maybe not too hard earned though with the trip to Optus the week after.

Lift Pies

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagree with this notion of an injection of youth.

Bring in Elliott & Aish and back in the rest to replicate our effort and endeavour of 2018........last week was an aberration IMO.

Why? It has worked for other clubs to re-ignite them? Blakey, Stack, Rozee, J Cameron, Walsh ... and many more has done it for other clubs. Stevo et al did it for us last year. Why do you say it wouldn't re-ignite this team? We have been lackluster for the whole year.

Why? It has worked for other clubs to re-ignite them? Blakey, Stack, Rozee, J Cameron, Walsh ... and many more has done it for other clubs. Stevo et al did it for us last year. Why do you say it wouldn't re-ignite this team? We have been lackluster for the whole year.

We’re second............who do you suggest to do a “Stepho” on Friday?

We’re second............who do you suggest to do a “Stepho” on Friday?

I am not suggesting a Stepho, but we have been complacent all year. Some injection of youth could help, maybe one of IQ (if available), T Brown, Noble, Apples. It's not like we have been setting the comp on fire with our midfield nor kicking bags of goals.

I am not suggesting a Stepho, but we have been complacent all year. Some injection of youth could help, maybe one of IQ (if available), T Brown, Noble, Apples. It's not like we have been setting the comp on fire with our midfield nor kicking bags of goals.

None of those Pies players you suggest above (compared to the list of opposition players) will make a significant impact like Stepho has for us.

This week isn’t the time.........this week is for all those players that underperformed last week to show some pride for the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back