Preview Preview and Changes: Round 6 - Port v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt it funny how losing this game tells us plenty while winning it tells us nothing.
I dunno, we've won a lot of games on the road against the lesser teams but haven't had a big win on the road against one of the good teams or any of our bogey teams like Collingwood, Geelong or Brisbane for a long time. We might've knocked off Collingwood in Melbourne in 2021 but they were trash that year.

Probably the last really big win on the road i can think of was against the dogs in round 23 2021. Maybe Sydney in Sydney last year, but they are our current bunny.

Reigning premier Collingwood at the MCG is not the sort of game we ever win, if we can knock them off it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I dunno, we've won a lot of games on the road against the lesser teams but haven't had a big win on the road against one of the good teams or any of our bogey teams like Collingwood, Geelong or Brisbane for a long time. We might've knocked off Collingwood in Melbourne in 2021 but they were trash that year.

Probably the last really big win on the road i can think of was against the dogs in round 23 2021. Maybe Sydney in Sydney last year, but they are our current bunny.

Reigning premier Collingwood at the MCG is not the sort of game we ever win, if we can knock them off it's definitely a step in the right direction.
We actually have a pretty good record against reigning premiers from memory. Means little unfortunately.

If we win this game, this lid is officialy off and i will start to beleive we can win the premiership. Although i highly doubt we win this game, its looking like another year we finish 3-6th and lose a prelim or a semi final, only 5 rounds in but who knows.

Port win this one and the showdown then I may be convinced it isn't the same script this year, otherwise it is yet another season down the toilet.
I'm here to give you a little bump to tell you not to fall into this trap until the cup is aloft.

Isnt it funny how losing this game tells us plenty while winning it tells us nothing.
Winning any game before September tells us nothing. We're treading water until then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a kid so a win was a win for me, but this is how I'd imagine most would've felt in 2004 H/A.

Not quite, in 2004 you went to the footy expecting us to win, regardless of opposition/big game/top 4 etc. The feeling was more waiting for finals to come around as that's where our season started and knowing that if we actually put it together mentally, we were in with a shake. The St Kilda prelim was relief as opposed to joy as we all knew we were 1 of 2 sides who could win the flag in that era and we finally booked a ticket.

The feeling now is knowing regardless of how many H&A wins we bank, we will always falter under expectations, in big games and against sides who can make changes on the fly. There is a general malaise around the club and its supporters now after 12 years of the same dross over and over. Remember, Choco was in year 5 when he won the flag - we can only dream of such standards now.

I was a kid so a win was a win for me, but this is how I'd imagine most would've felt in 2004 H/A.

From the perspective of knowing we needed to prove ourselves in finals and the apprehension leading into the finals series, absolutely. But the broader context was entirely different.

Tredders famously described the team as "deadset spewing" immediately after the '03 prelim defeat. Hard calls were made on senior players. Allan Scott made his comments which fired up Choco more than ever before. The messaging was different. They were angry and determined to make amends.

Contrast to now where we get Hinkley saying he wouldn't change a thing, Koch saying things like Hinkley has the highest winning percentage of any Port coach, the club's media mouthpieces telling the fans that they expect too much, endless puff pieces on how happy and connected the players are and how wonderful their lives are, etc. They, frankly, sound like they don't give a crap.

So no, it didn't feel like this. The feeling was apprehension for sure. But you felt like they could get it done. Right now you'd either have to be blindly optimistic or not paying attention to believe the club is capable of achieving the ultimate.

Far too much negativity in this thread. Head to head our mids have them covered, we win this by 5 goals
At the opposite end of the scale from negativity is delusion. Games of footy aren’t won on paper. The same mids you speak of turned to pumpkins come finals time last year, while Collingwood’s stood up under three intense finals contests to win the flag.

Tredders kicked 80 goals in 2004. How many do you think he'd kick with Ken's "gameplan"?

Safe to say no Hinkley coached side will ever resemble anything associated with 04.
I know. Regardless of the bald man on the boundary, there's talent on this current list. I meant more so in the way that we can win as many H/A games as we want, but we are waiting to prove ourselves in September.

The Dixon needs minutes managed every game thing so he cannot ruck makes it worse that we are all in with kicking it 40 times a game to him despite playing 2 other talls.

Dixon would be a top 5 second ruck in the AFL and Marshall/Georgiades at this stage might be better forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back