Preview Preview/Changes - Round 4 v West Coast at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on training reports from Demonland Petty was still training like he will play forward. If you’re a swing man I guess you have to train both ends anyway.

I reckon they will start with the shorter backline again with Petty forward like they did against Sydney. Hibberd and Rivers can play a bit taller than their height.

Make the opposition prove they can hurt you with their height, and until they do prove that you’ve got a significant advantage once the ball is on the ground.

Its the type of game where there was no need to bring McDonald in for, thats what pissed me off.

I suspect the reasoning behind it was coz they plan to use Petty/JVR in the ruck to rest Grundy (better not be TMac ffs) and Goody has a hard on for a 2 tall forward structure minimum ie: playing talls for the sake of it in a role they cant execute

Would have been a great chance to get a look at the smaller forward set up and see what JVR and Petty can do for an entire game without TMac getting in the way.

Should have just rolled with Petty and JVR for the entire game, there is no way we lose this, if the forward setup looks good and we kick a good score again but the backline is shaky just bring Tomo in next week. I know they say take each week at a time and respect the opposition but this the type of game where you can absolutely disrespect the opposition and chalk up a win.

Last edited:

Here's one for the McDonald haters. Also look out for Viney's hit and Oliver's flop.

what year is it GIF

Would be like me posting the game where Allen kissed Glen and saying we should be giving Jako another chance this week

Its the type of game where there was no need to bring McDonald in for, thats what pissed me off.

I suspect the reasoning behind it was coz they plan to use Petty/JVR in the ruck to rest Grundy (better not be TMac ffs) and Goody has a hard on for a 2 tall forward structure minimum ie: playing talls for the sake of it in a role they cant execute

Would have been a great chance to get a look at the smaller forward set up and see what JVR and Petty can do for an entire game without TMac getting in the way.
I think you’re right about them wanting enough talls in the team to protect Grundy and keep a two talls plus Fritsch forward structure.

When Gawn gets back surely they will go back to one of he or Grundy spending time as a tall forward anyway. If Petty remains a swing man, then that would leave only one spot for McDonald, Brown or JVR.

Or is the shorter backline they rolled out against Sydney preparing for whichever of Gawn or Grundy isn’t rucking to fold back into defence instead? That would be a bold change given they trained the entire preseason for Gawn/Grundy as a tall forward.

Now with Pickett back in the team, are they going to go back to effectively swapping him and Trac as forwards? You’d think they would.

I’ve got not idea what’s going on. At least it makes it interesting. It must be unpredictable for the opposition to plan for as well.

Protecting Grundy makes sense to be fair. He’s still coming back to full fitness and there’s nobody else to do his job. Has a team ever had this situation? The best ruck of his generation, the arguably second best, and then nothing?

Also heard a rumour that Petty was unwell during the week but no idea if that one has legs.

That would be a bold change given they trained the entire preseason for Gawn/Grundy as a tall forward.
Did they though? I can’t imagine we would have given up on Gawn in defence given how well he does it when he drops back.

Did they though? I can’t imagine we would have given up on Gawn in defence given how well he does it when he drops back.
I think Gawn just goes wherever he wants. When we have it he'll drift forward, if it's a slow turnover he drifts back. He's the swingman

Should have just rolled with Petty and JVR for the entire game, there is no way we lose this, if the forward setup looks good and we kick a good score again but the backline is shaky just bring Tomo in next week. I know they say take each week as it comes and respect the opposition but this the type of game where you can absolutely disrespect the opposition and chalk up a win.
Good opportunity to 'rest' mcdonald ie Geelong last year.

Lampers is right though, I cant imagine they'd give up resting Gawn and Grundy forward after planning it all preseason. Not in his DNA even if something different is working great. He is a stickler for seeing thru his gameplan, hence bringing in McDonald to fill Brown's useless role from last week.

My best guess re McDonald is Goody sees it as a chance to get him back into some sort of form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back