AFLW Preview Geelong V Collingwood Sat 2nd Feb 6:45pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the 2019 AFLW season opener less that 2 weeks away.....!!

Time to get the Preview thread rolling.
This will become the Game Day and Review/Autopsy location as well so all details will be here.

Sadly we know that Rocky Cranston is out for 2 weeks so that's not the start we were looking for - and 2 weeks for that seemed hefty - but that's where we are.

Will be the first footy of the year so lets get around them!!

GO Catters

With the 2019 AFLW season opener less that 2 weeks away.....!!

Time to get the Preview thread rolling.
This will become the Game Day and Review/Autopsy location as well so all details will be here.

Sadly we know that Rocky Cranston is out for 2 weeks so that's not the start we were looking for - and 2 weeks for that seemed hefty - but that's where we are.

Will be the first footy of the year so lets get around them!!

GO Catters
It's super disappointing to see Rocky miss the first couple. She is a bull, and I was looking forward to her shaking up a few of the more established midfielders. Still, I am backing our girls to take home a win against the Pies. Blind faith, nothing more.

Picked up this beauty today - it's the AFLW Commemorative Pioneer Guernsey which will be worn in our first official match. It features the names of the VFLW players and pioneer members across the hoops:

24FE6320-B15C-4E6A-AA7C-A608745DB23F.jpeg

446A3202-CEAD-4432-9DA4-12ED87CA5BC9.jpeg

D2F98F96-B615-428A-9B96-CA7AD45E195F.jpeg

It's super disappointing to see Rocky miss the first couple. She is a bull, and I was looking forward to her shaking up a few of the more established midfielders. Still, I am backing our girls to take home a win against the Pies. Blind faith, nothing more.

Is there any vision of the incident? Is it a case of the Geelong curse following on from the treatment of hawk?

Looking fwd to seeing the girls play. Just fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there any vision of the incident? Is it a case of the Geelong curse following on from the treatment of hawk?

Looking fwd to seeing the girls play. Just fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://womens.afl/video/15588/exclusive-vision-the-incident-that-saw-a-star-cat-banned

Its a bit grassy knoll stuff but the tackle is there and its a sling.

If that is the metric being applied - then ok - but it better be consistently applied across the competition.

GO Catters

I'm only interested in watching Geelong game - time permitting - but is this televised on foxtel?
Yes - from info released in December, you will be able to watch every Geelong AFLW match:

The AFL has brokered a broadcast deal for the next four years of AFLW, with Fox Footy set to broadcast every single game live.

There had been some concern as to whether every game would be aired on television, particularly with the introduction of Geelong and North Melbourne in 2019, plus four more expansion clubs in 2020.

But the four-year commitment from Fox Sports and Channel 7 means that fans will have live access to every AFLW match.

Fox Footy will exclusively broadcast three matches each round in 2019, while simulcasting the two Channel 7 matches.

In 2020 — with the addition of Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast — Fox Footy will exclusively broadcast four games, while simulcasting the three games on Channel 7.

Both networks will air every final throughout the deal, while all games will also be viewable on the digital platforms of Foxtel, Channel 7 and the AFL.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...l/news-story/eaa730053f6212a55fbcd3949e884b67

AFLW isn't going to be for everyone and that's fine, no one is forcing anyone to watch it, follow it or become a member etc. But rather than coming into this thread, bringing in negativity and asking stupid questions, why not just ignore the AFLW & VFLW threads and leave the discussion to those who do have an interest in the womens game.

MOD EDIT -
Its been handled.
And I completely agree.
Great post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/27/aflw-2019-preview-geelong-cats/

This seems to be the only serious season preview floating around at the moment, presumably the papers will put them out at the end of this week. I think it's legit to question how competitive an expansion side will but I'm quietly confident. My sense from watching the AFLW over the last few years is that teams who have actual footballers have a significant advantage, so I wonder if he's underestimating how big a difference the infusion of the top end draft picks will be. Either way it is going to be good as hell :thumbsu:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/27/aflw-2019-preview-geelong-cats/

This seems to be the only serious season preview floating around at the moment, presumably the papers will put them out at the end of this week. I think it's legit to question how competitive an expansion side will but I'm quietly confident. My sense from watching the AFLW over the last few years is that teams who have actual footballers have a significant advantage, so I wonder if he's underestimating how big a difference the infusion of the top end draft picks will be. Either way it is going to be good as hell :thumbsu:
The Age has done a preview on each team, with predicted finish positions.
They gave Geelong a reasonable rap, putting us 3rd in the conference I think.
Here it is:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ub-guide-and-predictions-20190125-p50to5.html

Lets prove the doubters wrong:

GEELONG will be out to prove the doubters wrong on Saturday night after being installed as rank outsiders for this year’s AFLW premiership.

The Cats have been listed 10th on the line of betting with gambling agencies in the 10-team competition, and will also start as the underdogs for their first clash against Collingwood.

But former Carlton forward Jordan Ivey, who will be one of the keys to Geelong claiming a maiden victory in its first match at GMHBA Stadium, said the practice match win over the Blues two weeks ago had filled her side with confidence leading into the season.

“I guess there is a little bit of a point to prove,” Ivey said.

“I don’t think we are going in undermanned or anything like that, I think we are going to be quite competitive and I think that we can go away from our practice game against Carlton with some confidence.

“Everyone played quite well and they have been in the competition from the start, so we ended up playing quite well and I am confident we can go all right.”

https://outline.com/VMqY2F

And a good article from yesterday about Teague - I'm not too unhappy to read that rather than moving into the midfield it looks like she will a lock down back because she has done a good job in that role, and congratulations to her on her new job:

Teague, who has spent most of her time in football down back since switching to the oval ball from basketball, has spent the summer training in a variety of positions as the Cats look to utilise her versatility.

The former Melbourne player says with Coventry now out for the year she expected to spend a large portion of this year curtailing opposition forwards, but added the line-up would ultimately be determined this week at Geelong’s final training session before game day.

“There has been some vision that has been put up of Collingwood but as a team in terms of how we structure up on Saturday and how we are going to try to attack and defend we will be looking more at that at training,” Teague said.

“Over the pre-season they have been looking at me in a different sort of capacity in the midfield but unfortunately with Flynny (Coventry) going down I might possibly head into the backline again, and that is fine.

“I love that and I am very comfortable there and the backline is a great bunch of girls to be working with.”...

... It is a week of new beginnings for the 31-year-old, who commences full-time work at the Geelong Football Club today as its foundation co-ordinator.

She said being around the club in a different capacity had opened her eyes to the volume of work being done behind the scenes to help promote the club’s women’s team, and admitted a win to launch the Cats new venture into AFLW would do the team wonders.

https://outline.com/PXrgBG

Long page of match day info can be found here: http://m.geelongcats.com.au/match-day-information#whatson

That is unless you want to know when gates open because I haven't seen that listed / only that the festival starts at 5pm and the match at 6:40pm.

The following is what I thought was interesting/important info for those considering going:

- Don’t miss your opportunity to collect a free, commemorative ticketfor the Cats first-ever, history-making AFLW game.
20,000 tickets will be handed out at the entry Gates and in the festival zone by Cats staff members. These are the perfect keepsake to celebrate Her Story | Our Future, available in 4 designs.

- The Geelong Social Club will be open to the public from 5pm until the final siren. Bar and feast food facilities available.

- AFLW fans will get the opportunity to meet our new female mascot for the first time - plus her name will be revealed before the game! Keep your eyes peeled for Half Cat's buddy!

- REMEMBER - Entry to All AFLW Games is FREE.
On game day, all lower seating areas in all stand will be open to the public, with additional areas opening once capacity requires.Therefore, you will be able to enter via all gates.
Cats Cheersquad: Bay A17 (Players Stand)
Pies Cheersquad: Bay A44 (Ablett Terrace)

- To assist with public safety and access to the ground, Moorabool Street (from Fyans Street to Kilgour Street) will be closed to all traffic 1.5 hours pre-AFLW game.
A single lane Moorabool Street will be open to allow traffic to run north to south 15 minutes after the start of the first quarter and will remain in place until the start of the last quarter.

The full road closure will then resume and will remain for up to 1.5 hours post-AFLW game to allow patrons to exit GMHBA Stadium safely.
The temporary changes in traffic conditions apply to the following locations:
- Moorabool Street between Kilgour Street and Fyans Street
- Access to: Strong, Lonsdale, Verner, Foster and Balliang Streets will be available via Yarra Street, during the temporary road closures. Please expect delays.
- Access to Hopkins Street and Park Crescent for residents will be available via Fyans Street.

And most importantly:
- Bulla Ice Cream giveaways for all

Long page of match day info can be found here: http://m.geelongcats.com.au/match-day-information#whatson

That is unless you want to know when gates open because I haven't seen that listed / only that the festival starts at 5pm and the match at 6:40pm.

The following is what I thought was interesting/important info for those considering going:

- Don’t miss your opportunity to collect a free, commemorative ticketfor the Cats first-ever, history-making AFLW game.
20,000 tickets will be handed out at the entry Gates and in the festival zone by Cats staff members. These are the perfect keepsake to celebrate Her Story | Our Future, available in 4 designs.

- The Geelong Social Club will be open to the public from 5pm until the final siren. Bar and feast food facilities available.

- AFLW fans will get the opportunity to meet our new female mascot for the first time - plus her name will be revealed before the game! Keep your eyes peeled for Half Cat's buddy!

- REMEMBER - Entry to All AFLW Games is FREE.
On game day, all lower seating areas in all stand will be open to the public, with additional areas opening once capacity requires.Therefore, you will be able to enter via all gates.
Cats Cheersquad: Bay A17 (Players Stand)
Pies Cheersquad: Bay A44 (Ablett Terrace)

- To assist with public safety and access to the ground, Moorabool Street (from Fyans Street to Kilgour Street) will be closed to all traffic 1.5 hours pre-AFLW game.
A single lane Moorabool Street will be open to allow traffic to run north to south 15 minutes after the start of the first quarter and will remain in place until the start of the last quarter.

The full road closure will then resume and will remain for up to 1.5 hours post-AFLW game to allow patrons to exit GMHBA Stadium safely.
The temporary changes in traffic conditions apply to the following locations:
- Moorabool Street between Kilgour Street and Fyans Street
- Access to: Strong, Lonsdale, Verner, Foster and Balliang Streets will be available via Yarra Street, during the temporary road closures. Please expect delays.
- Access to Hopkins Street and Park Crescent for residents will be available via Fyans Street.

And most importantly:
- Bulla Ice Cream giveaways for all

Whilst i would not be able to partake in the ice cream portion, I would normally partake in some KROCK coverage. Wont even be able to do that as i
ll be into Grammys load in - hope its a great game and a Cats AFLW inaugural win!

GO Catters

AFLW Round One Team

B:
40. Anna Teague, 44. Bec Goring, 4. Cassie Blakeway
HB: 28. Denby Taylor, 11. Meghan McDonald, 21. Becky Webster
C: 12. Renee Garing
HF: 27. Sophie Van De Heuvel, 26. Maddie Boyd, 9. Nina Morrison
F: 8. Kate Darby, 23. Phoebe McWilliams, 5. Jordan Ivey
R: 14. Aasta O’Connor, 6. Julia Crockett-Grills, 16. Olivia Purcell
I/C: 45. Maddy Keryk, 2, Danielle Orr, 24. Maddy McMahon, 13. Maighan Fogas, 7. Mia-Rae Clifford
Emergencies: 10. Georgie Rankin, 1. Rene Caris

Mel Hickey to miss the game while she recovers from the knee injury of last year. Bec Goring to be the skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back